Ireland V Austrailia International Rules Official Thread 2008

Started by BallyhaiseMan, September 11, 2008, 04:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Thought Joe McMahon was excellent in terms of winning ball, using ball and tackling. Glynn was also mightily impressive. McDonnell was a shambles and caused umpteen turnovers.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

DoYerJob Linesman

Shot stopping was fine.  Distribution was poor, put his teammates under alot of pressure with slack passes under no pressure.
17/03/02 - Semple Stadium Thurles - Heaven On Earth

Zulu

It wasn't a brilliant spectacle by any means but as the game went on it became better and was fairly entertaining, the second test should be much more exciting. I would however disagree with your assumption that the poor Irish technique was down to being 'tense' there were plenty of examples of Irish players messing up basics from frees or mark situations. The lack of movement when on the ball of our players was also particularly striking and that had nothing to do with the rules but the IR punished our lads staticness more than football does.

cavanmaniac

I think Gallagher did a good job overall, the Aussie guy was a clown with the obvious allowance that he's new to an unfamiliar role.

@ Jinxy, good post, this is of course a huge factor but I reckon it's something our own game can benefit from. In these days of mass defences, getting an accurate shot off quickly would be a great weapon to have.

It only part explains some of the poor kicking though and I'm not talking about shooting either, some of the attempts at fairly basic passes (Cullen, O'Mahony) were embarrassing, and even Donaghy and a few others managed to overcook very easy handpasses in non-pressure situations when good scenarios were unfolding.

As an aside, Bradley, Kevin Reilly and Meehan would be the three players I'd drop for next week.

Zulu

I'd be inclined to give McDonnell a rest, I thought he was poor.

cavanmaniac

Yeah he'd be close to the cut as well, was very poor in 1st test but he's always worth hanging on to because the Aussies are wary of him from other years plus he could notch 9 points in the blink of an eye after having a quiet game. I think the hard miles are starting to show on him though, he peaked a few years ago but can still be a special player on his day.

Puckoon

thebuzz

Quote from: cavanmaniac on October 24, 2008, 11:16:15 PM
As an aside, Bradley, Kevin Reilly and Meehan would be the three players I'd drop for next week.

Funny that. I thought Meehan and Paddy B would have been brilliant at this game. It just shows you how completely different it is from football. The Gooch didn't take to it either when he played.

BallyhaiseMan

didnt notice Meehan much except for him kicking one behind, so cant comment on him.
Wasnt Stevie's best IR match,but to be fair to all in the FF line with the exception of a few balls in, the service was terrible,Id say there were stretches of about 5/6 minutes the ball didnt even get into the Aussie Half.
Id be critical of Paddy Bradley because of the lack of sharpness he showed the Paddy Bradley we know at his peak,would not have been caught like he was from behind,And missing such a great chance could end up being so crucial in the overall context of the series.

Team that started was

David Gallagher
Aidan O Mahoney
Finian Hanley
John Keane
Ciaran McKeever
Kevin Reily
Bryan Cullen
Colm Begley
Graham Canty
Enda McGinley
Sean Kavanagh
Joe McMahon
Benny Coulter
Kieran Donaghy
Stevie Mac Donnell

with Donaghy moving to midfield,for the throw in
if i were to pick a team to start the next day it would be

David Gallagher
Aidan O Mahony
Finian Hanley
John Keane
Ciaran McKeever
Graham Canty
Colm Begley
Martin McGrath
Enda McGinley
Leighton Glynn
Sean Kavanagh
Joe McMahon
Benny Coulter
Kieran Donaghy
Stevie McDonnell

BallyhaiseMan

Just to note from AFL online.

BEST
Australia: Murphy (18 possesions, 4 overs) Selwood (27 possesion), Thomas (19 possesion), Pendulbery (13 possesions), Harvey (22 possesion, 1 over), Rodan (9 possesions, 1 over), Simpson (25 possesions),
Ireland: Cavanagh (9 possesion, 1 goal, 2 overs), Canty (21 possesions), Donaghy (14 possesion, 1 over), Begley (16 possesions), Gallagher (25 possesion), Joe McMahon (26 possesion), Glynn (19 possesion, 1 goal, 1 over), McKeever (23 possesion)

Zulu

On that Aussie website they are calling our lads pussy's which is a bit harsh IMO but there can be no doubt we have veered towards the soccer 'simulation' malarky and staying down when we should really be getting up and on with it.

AFS

I'd stay away from that Aussie Rules message board if I was yous. Seems like an Australian Hoganstand with a bunch of kids posting offensive crap about our lads and their own. Things like 'Pendlebury get the f**k out of my country' and other stuff like that. Not very nice, they mustn't have mods  :-\ I also seem to remember some of the Australian visitors to this board saying that particular board was well known to be shit.

Also on this board:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=508267&page=28

Hardly the same O'Neill, is it?

JMohan

Cavanagh did well, as did Donaghy
I thought that Bradley did well in fact - he should have been given a penalty for the pull down and I think alot of ball into him was delayed too much - we never got enough early ball in to the advantage of the forwards
I thought Meehan was poor
The refs favoured the Irish overall tho, I think the Aussies looked far too scared to be physical

cavanmaniac

Zulu that's just the Aussie way. If you don't fight them you're a pussy, if you fight back you're the thugs trying to start the fight who then complain when they get beaten up. And then you're a whinger and a sook.

It's on record that no Aussie sportsman has ever done anything untoward. Ever.