McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lamh Dhearg Alba

That wasn't a bad old game in the end between Derry and Tyrone. Tyrone at least looked a football team, unlike last year's McKenna Cup. Poor decision making at key moments in second half cost them the win, there were plenty of good chances to put Derry away. Comeback will be good for Derry's morale I'm sure and it was a towering point at the end to level. Camera didn't follow the incident that led to Hampsey going off so can't comment on that. Disappointing to see a red card as Tyrone's disciple has to be better this year, but again can't say if it was the right call.

Clearly both teams have a way to go and men to bring in - not a performance from either to worry the likes of Dublin, Kerry or Down - but a useful tussle and good to have at least one more competitive game to come before the league.

SHEEDY

Cavan v Tyrone Breffini park Sat 5pm
Down v Derry Pairc Esler Sun 1.30pm
nil satis nisi optimum

bennydorano

Quote from: full moon on January 11, 2023, 09:25:22 PM
Tyrone Vs Down
Derry Vs Cavan

Assuming these aren't televised on TG4? Thought I remember Armagh Monaghan being on last year, maybe it's just the final they could show.

Another paid stream it is probably.
Remember the days we used to give off about paying a monthly sub to Setanta to watch a few NFL games, now we throw out £5ers and £10ers (& more) to watch club & county. The GAA is more expensive than Sky & BT combined.

Gold

Quote from: smort on January 11, 2023, 09:30:08 PM
The semifinals are on ulstergaatv, they were included in the £25 competition pass

Hopefully not on at the same time

I was flicking between the 3 games tonight...you end up missing more than you see!
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Itchy

Quote from: bennydorano on January 11, 2023, 09:33:09 PM
Tyrone Vs Down
Derry Vs Cavan

Assuming these aren't televised on TG4? Thought I remember Armagh Monaghan being on last year, maybe it's just the final they could show.

Remember the days we used to give off about paying a monthly sub to Setanta to watch a few NFL games, now we throw out £5ers and £10ers (& more) to watch club & county. The GAA is more expensive than Sky & BT combined.

If you have iptv it's probably on it for free

Gold

Quote from: Gold on January 11, 2023, 09:43:01 PM
Quote from: smort on January 11, 2023, 09:30:08 PM
The semifinals are on ulstergaatv, they were included in the £25 competition pass

Hopefully not on at the same time

I was flicking between the 3 games tonight...you end up missing more than you see!

Although it has to be said...it is a fantastic service from Ulster GAA
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

CK_Redhand

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on January 11, 2023, 09:32:28 PM
That wasn't a bad old game in the end between Derry and Tyrone. Tyrone at least looked a football team, unlike last year's McKenna Cup. Poor decision making at key moments in second half cost them the win, there were plenty of good chances to put Derry away. Comeback will be good for Derry's morale I'm sure and it was a towering point at the end to level. Camera didn't follow the incident that led to Hampsey going off so can't comment on that. Disappointing to see a red card as Tyrone's disciple has to be better this year, but again can't say if it was the right call.

Clearly both teams have a way to go and men to bring in - not a performance from either to worry the likes of Dublin, Kerry or Down - but a useful tussle and good to have at least one more competitive game to come before the league.
Hampsey ran into Paudie Cassidy to escalate the situation I think. The cameras caught the start of it. No replays shown. Overall the camera work was fairly poor I thought, maybe it's the Owenbeg setup but the angles and zooms didn't work. £25 for "season pass" (in reality max 5 games) I'd expect better tbh, expectations have grown over the last few years with how great some streaming services are.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: CK_Redhand on January 11, 2023, 09:53:46 PM

Hampsey ran into Paudie Cassidy to escalate the situation I think. The cameras caught the start of it. No replays shown. Overall the camera work was fairly poor I thought, maybe it's the Owenbeg setup but the angles and zooms didn't work. £25 for "season pass" (in reality max 5 games) I'd expect better tbh, expectations have grown over the last few years with how great some streaming services are.

Certainly wasn't enough there for a red, can only presume he went further off camera. Daft to get involved at all to be honest.

Agree the stream is a bit costly for what it is and also a pre season tournament. That said, I was grateful for the option to see the game.

Dreadnought

Tyrone Vs Down
Derry Vs Cavan

Ack, its fine. It's not a monthly charge all year. Takes effort to stream and commentate on it, and I'd happily pay. Its the price of a ticket without needing to travel. It's a way to see it, where there wasn't before, so I'm happy with it as an option

shawshank

Not a performance to troubles the lines of Kerry Dublin or DOWN 😂😂😂😂 ye are a good fisherman

JoG2

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on January 11, 2023, 10:02:32 PM
Quote from: CK_Redhand on January 11, 2023, 09:53:46 PM

Certainly wasn't enough there for a red, can only presume he went further off camera. Daft to get involved at all to be honest.

Agree the stream is a bit costly for what it is and also a pre season tournament
. That said, I was grateful for the option to see the game.

A left hook to Tad's jaw lead to Hampsey's red. But to be perfectly honest, the ref had lost the run of the previous minutes play allowing players to mill into each other in the tackle and it was always gonna spill over.
Decent 2nd half which will do both teams no harm leading into the league.
Rogers point and then Murray's were top drawer.

ardtole

I couldn't make Newry for the Down v Donegal last Sunday, and I thought €12 was good value to see the game. I thought Kevin McKernan was good as the Co commentator.

screenexile

Went to the game last night not expecting much and I wasn't disappointed. Thought the game was a complete snoozefest until the maybe the last 8 mins when it came alive finally.

McShane was the standout player on the pitch and Derry did well to find a way when they looked pretty rudderless up front for long periods. Murray's point was fantastic to level it and he looks like he's starting to get a bit stronger and get more belief in himself for this level, I hope he can keep it up.

To this day it still amazes me that teams will decide "yeah let's put the big man on the edge of the square" and then proceed to play the ball through the hands at the 45. Derry had 2-3 breaks where there was ample opportunity to put in a long high early ball but decided to slow the ball down and wait for runners. . . what was the point in bringing him on if they didn't plan on using him?

tbrick18

Quote from: Dreadnought on January 11, 2023, 10:12:54 PM
Tyrone Vs Down
Derry Vs Cavan

Ack, its fine. It's not a monthly charge all year. Takes effort to stream and commentate on it, and I'd happily pay. Its the price of a ticket without needing to travel. It's a way to see it, where there wasn't before, so I'm happy with it as an option

To be honest, I find it better value that going. I was going to go to some of the games, £10 for adults (16+) and £3 for kids. For me to go and take the kids tickets cost me £45. Then add in the price of diesel you're at £60-£70 for a pre-season game. Too costly.
So £10 to watch at home is ok with me, especially on a cold wet Jan night.

Derry v Tyrone was really a game of 2 halves. Though it looks like weather conditions contributed heavily to that, with Derry taking only short frees within the 45 in the first half. In the 2nd half Tyrone missed a few "easy" frees at that same end.
The game had a bit of bite and excitment in the last 20.
I really wasn't expecting Derry to get much from this game but they really stepped it up and Laclan Murray has followed up a good game against Fermanagh with another fine performance. Hopefully that continues this year.

Defensively, both teams set up similarly.
Tyrone seemed to have a bit more in attack, but Derry's running game eventually wore down the Tyrone defence.

Fitness seems to have improved even from the Fermanagh game, and given they've only been training since December they are in decent shape.

Tyrone look like they've started to shake off the poor year last year. I'd expect to see a stronger side this year. They had a defender, McCarron I think, did and excellent job on MgGuigan, looks like he could be a find. The Jones brothers didnt even get a sub appearance even though one of them got motm the last game which I found strange.

I didn't really catch much of the melee on the camera, but it did look like someone on the Tyrone management team was getting involved in verbals with a Derry player. No idea what the red was for, perhaps contributing to a melee? Yellow par for the course in these sorts of things and with McKinless already on a yellow he can prob have no complaints about a 2nd.

I see the semi line up is Down v Derry and Cavan v Tyrone. Last night it was Down v Tyrone and Derry v Cavan. What happened there? Is it an open draw for the semis?
No big deal, just wondering.

Good to get another competitive game before the league starts.

God14

Quote from: tbrick18 on January 12, 2023, 09:46:00 AM
Quote from: Dreadnought on January 11, 2023, 10:12:54 PM
Tyrone Vs Down
Derry Vs Cavan

To be honest, I find it better value that going. I was going to go to some of the games, £10 for adults (16+) and £3 for kids. For me to go and take the kids tickets cost me £45. Then add in the price of diesel you're at £60-£70 for a pre-season game. Too costly.
So £10 to watch at home is ok with me, especially on a cold wet Jan night.

Derry v Tyrone was really a game of 2 halves. Though it looks like weather conditions contributed heavily to that, with Derry taking only short frees within the 45 in the first half. In the 2nd half Tyrone missed a few "easy" frees at that same end.
The game had a bit of bite and excitment in the last 20.
I really wasn't expecting Derry to get much from this game but they really stepped it up and Laclan Murray has followed up a good game against Fermanagh with another fine performance. Hopefully that continues this year.

Defensively, both teams set up similarly.
Tyrone seemed to have a bit more in attack, but Derry's running game eventually wore down the Tyrone defence.

Fitness seems to have improved even from the Fermanagh game, and given they've only been training since December they are in decent shape.

Tyrone look like they've started to shake off the poor year last year. I'd expect to see a stronger side this year. They had a defender, McCarron I think, did and excellent job on MgGuigan, looks like he could be a find. The Jones brothers didnt even get a sub appearance even though one of them got motm the last game which I found strange.

I didn't really catch much of the melee on the camera, but it did look like someone on the Tyrone management team was getting involved in verbals with a Derry player. No idea what the red was for, perhaps contributing to a melee? Yellow par for the course in these sorts of things and with McKinless already on a yellow he can prob have no complaints about a 2nd.

I see the semi line up is Down v Derry and Cavan v Tyrone. Last night it was Down v Tyrone and Derry v Cavan. What happened there? Is it an open draw for the semis?
No big deal, just wondering.

Good to get another competitive game before the league starts.

I wondered about the draw myself, as you say initially i thought we had Down and then 10 mins later it was Cavan. Strange one, and no explanation

The younger Jones brother played the full 60+ mins for UU on Tuesday night.