Stag do

Started by haveaharp, January 08, 2009, 01:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurganblue

I did Krakow for a stag. Enjoyed it. It was just a few days drinking really though but that is all most of us wanted. Cheap enough of course. It was good spending time at the bars and restaurants around the main square during decent weather.

I didn't feel like it was the time to go to Auschwitz myself but each to their own.

Rudi

I dont understand going foreign for a stag, putting huge expense on people. Lot to be said for meeting in the local, having a few, hire a bus go on a tour of a few locals within 20 miles, then settling in one spot, then bus home. 1 or 2 days is enough. Pure and utter load of bollix, going foreign, dressing up, drinking for 3 days, organising big events. Thank feck those daft days are behind me.
Lot to be said for going to small towns like Tullamore, Ballina, Carrick, Ennis, Navan etc. Country is getting more fucked by the day. A friend of mine asked me to go to Liverpool on a stag, donkeys ago, told him to f**k off ;D, played a match instead.

Please take this post in good spirit, foreign is just not for me. Expense, waiting in airports etc. That's for work & summer holidays with family.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Rudi on February 20, 2023, 08:42:06 PM
I dont understand going foreign for a stag, putting huge expense on people. Lot to be said for meeting in the local, having a few, hire a bus go on a tour of a few locals within 20 miles, then settling in one spot, then bus home. 1 or 2 days is enough. Pure and utter load of bollix, going foreign, dressing up, drinking for 3 days, organising big events. Thank feck those daft days are behind me.
Lot to be said for going to small towns like Tullamore, Ballina, Carrick, Ennis, Navan etc. Country is getting more fucked by the day. A friend of mine asked me to go to Liverpool on a stag, donkeys ago, told him to f**k off ;D, played a match instead.

Please take this post in good spirit, foreign is just not for me. Expense, waiting in airports etc. That's for work & summer holidays with family.
I'm the opposite. Past the 40 mark and miss the auld stag do's now that they've slowed down. Liverpool, Newcastle etc all great craic. Can do the few drinks down the local anytime.

You'd spend less in Liverpool flights included than you would a wkend in Dublin/ Carrick/ Galway etc.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

AustinPowers

I'd be of  the same opinion.

A foreign stag  is bad enough for putting pressure on  people but a  foreign wedding is even worse.  A friends sister  went abroad to get married (both second time, late 40's) ,  and she took  a huff because her elderly mother  , and another sister (who is a  single mother)  told her they wouldn't be  fit/didn't have the means,  to go.   

Peoples  heads are up their holes these  days. 

BrotherMore6592

I'd say I agree with both of you however that works! rudi & true blue

Have heard of the "mystery tour" bus recently and sounds good craic, landing to a load of places within locality.

Abroad you'd get less hassle though as they're more geared up for them. I didn't like Amsterdam at all but Barcelona was unreal.

Never hear of any stags heading for London, probably cos it's expensive.

Cardiff, Newcastle, Manchester, Bristol, all much the same and same establishments IMO. Liverpool isn't bad but very repetitive at this stage

Heard krakow is very cheap which is the main driver but 3hr flight isn't great with the horrors!

BrotherMore6592

Quote from: AustinPowers on February 20, 2023, 09:25:56 PM

I'd be of  the same opinion.

A foreign stag  is bad enough for putting pressure on  people but a  foreign wedding is even worse.  A friends sister  went abroad to get married (both second time, late 40's) ,  and she took  a huff because her elderly mother  , and another sister (who is a  single mother)  told her they wouldn't be  fit/didn't have the means,  to go.   

Peoples  heads are up their holes these  days.

I'd agree about the expense side. The only way I could fathom asking all the lads to go to Krakow etc is if it was the same price or not much more than heading down south or over to UK (less is a bonus obv)

Last year I was asked to go to both Cardiff and Bristol and the price was a joke to be honest. I think the flights were around £150 cos the groom wanted to fly with Aer lingus.
Then he also wanted a "nice" hotel with a pool etc which meant we were all nearly £300-350 all in for 2 nights. Ended up being a crap enough city and drinking to pass the time. Full of Wetherspoons, dives

Tony Baloney

Years ago when you were getting flights for buttons the "foreign" option was more appealing and definitely cheaper than a trip to Halway or Dublin.

gawa316

I wouldn't thank you for an invite on a stag now.

Organized one for my mate in Fermanagh. Hire Benny's bus, headed out to a shebeen and had a local brewery bring beers. Then went to Belleek, garrison and then to the Linnet Inn in Boho and back into Enniskillen for the night. Was deadly and got to sleep in your own bed 

Gold

Boho?!

Hard to beat local like Carlingford, all you see is 4 walls so what's the point in 3hour flights?

Was in Krakow for one, was class craic  to be fair but more about the lads and polish women as we never left a bar for 3 days (except to head back with a local blonde!
Gold Club and Pussycat clubs are something else 🤣

Budapest too is class with the bars and baths but with a group of lads you'll just hit a bar and stay there for 2 or 3 days

"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

gallsman

Organised a stag in Lahinch a few years ago and was a cracking weekend. Instead of looking for an "activity" to do the Saturday, we got a taxi to Doolin and took the ferry to Inis Oírr. Walked into the pub, sat there for 8 hours, took the last ferry back. Fire was blazing, pints were creamy and a crowd of Tyrone hallions turned up an hour or two into it with a guitar. Decent meal back in town that night and a few pints and bed. Highly recommend. I know some people base themselves Inís Mor and do a tour of the islands type job for stags.

Milltown Row2

I think now I'd avoid them, just cannot handle them anymore, the craic is great at the time but the recovery isn't worth it!!

I've done a right few club stag do's over the years, few in Spain and few in the South couple in Newcastle, its carnage lol!!

Newcastle is a great spot for them though. You have the dog track, paintballing, go carting and then the night life, the last time we were there we had someone organise all that stuff and they met up with us at night with a pub crawl and tickets into the the nightclubs afterwards.

Takes the hassle of all getting in to places and knowing where to go
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bennydorano

Did a stag last spring, bus to Dundalk Races with the plan to head into Newry / Carlingford after, it was a mess long before bedtime tho and were in the cot early. Great night out tho, been many many times before.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bennydorano on February 21, 2023, 11:13:55 AM
Did a stag last spring, bus to Dundalk Races with the plan to head into Newry / Carlingford after, it was a mess long before bedtime tho and were in the cot early. Great night out tho, been many many times before.

Aye did that one also, only back into Dundalk afterwards and luckily ended up in bed, no memory of getting there lol!!

I suppose there is plenty at hand locally to stay here.. The hotel we went to in Spain for some stags was all inclusive, not a good idea, afterwards  :o
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AustinPowers

Quote from: gallsman on February 21, 2023, 08:17:50 AM
Organised a stag in Lahinch a few years ago and was a cracking weekend. Instead of looking for an "activity" to do the Saturday, we got a taxi to Doolin and took the ferry to Inis Oírr. Walked into the pub, sat there for 8 hours, took the last ferry back. Fire was blazing, pints were creamy and a crowd of Tyrone hallions turned up an hour or two into it with a guitar. Decent meal back in town that night and a few pints and bed. Highly recommend. I know some people base themselves Inís Mor and do a tour of the islands type job for stags.

That actually sounded  quite good ......up until you mentioned the Tyrone hallions  ;D

Although I don't  like the thought of the islands  being  overrun with stags and hens .  Although I know some places  on  the islands won't take them in (overnight anyway)

BrotherMore6592

Time has come to book soon for the brother

Anyone done either of the following? :

We're not doing a home stag in Ireland or UK as most of the lads going requested specifically Europe  :D 😂 although I would consider Edinburgh if it was any good?

Hamburg
Prague
Krakow
Budapest
Marbella (Malaga airport)
Ibiza

Trying to get a flight out of Belfast seems to be the issue for Jan-March 2024, Dublin is a bit of a pain travelling from the north if it's an early flight.