Should Roy Keane be the next Ireland manager?

Started by CorkMan, June 18, 2012, 05:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Roy Keane be the next Ireland manager?

Yes
No

Gazzler

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 20, 2012, 10:25:18 AM
Quote from: Mike Sheehy on June 20, 2012, 10:19:59 AM
It could be argued that Roy Keane is the biggest failure/choke in Irish sporting history.

He had a chance to prove himself on the biggest stage and walked (ran) away.

You could argue that, but it's slightly tangential to the discussion. If Paul McGrath said that the players should be very disappointed, and that it was not good enough, even for that limited bunch, and that no amount of brilliant fan behaviour can hide that fact, would people be as up in arms about it?
That's not what Keane said though is it.
He basically implied the players were just happy to be there and were not bothered about losing because they would see the fact that the fans were still singing and happy as a get out of jail card of sorts.The fans still love us win or lose so why try to win...

I don't believe that to be true do you?
I'd say every single one of them were hurting after being beaten like that but they still took time out to thank the fans. Nothing wrong with that IMO.
The players were not good enough but I doubt any of them are happy about it or don't care.

AZOffaly

Either way, he's sticking the boot into the players, not the fans. What I said is just a more toned down version of what you said. In essence, the players underperformed, should not be happy about it, and should not hide behind great fans.

I tend to agree with him, but whether that bunch of players would achieve much even if they performed at their optimium is highly debatable anyway.

But you are right in one sense, he is assuming the players were happy to hide behind the fans. I doubt that much alright. I'd say they are pissed off they let themselves down.

Keane is saying that it's not good enough.

Gazzler

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 20, 2012, 10:33:41 AM
In essence, the players underperformed, should not be happy about it, and should not hide behind great fans.

But who said they are?
Just because Keane said it doesn't make it true.

AZOffaly

I edited my post after that Gazzler. I don't think they are either, and I think Keane is wrong in that.

I think he's OTT, as he often is, and his point gets lost, as it often does. But his point remains. Should that level of performance and style of play be acceptable?

By the way, I don't like Roy Keane :)

Estimator

Quote from: Leo on June 19, 2012, 12:31:54 AM
Quote from: EC Unique on June 18, 2012, 08:42:14 PM
When he took over Sunderland they were way down the table. They ended up wining the championship and going up to the premier league where he kept them for a season. Not great after that but to say he has had no success as a manager is just wrong.

No. when he took over Sunderland they had just changed ownership and he was given a ball of money to out-spend the rest of the championship - which is what he did. They then struggled to stay in the premier league and guess what ... he walked out when the heat was on (so unlike our Roy!!).

Get it right.
In fairness to Keane, He took charge of Sunderland 4games into a new season. They were relegated with the lowest points in PL history, the previous season. They had yet to gain a point. He only had a few days to the transfer window closed and signed maybe 5/6 players. Over the course of the promotion season he spent maybe 7/8million. Hardly a lot of money for the Championship. They won the Championship, Keane was Manager of the Year.
That is the only decent thing he achieved in his managerial career. It has been all downhill since then. I don't believe too many other managers could have achieved what he did with SAFC that season.
Ulster League Champions 2009

ziggy90

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 20, 2012, 10:06:38 AM
NAG, I think you are actually making the fans point for them. Keane is the one that said the players should have performed better. (I agree with him). The fans are disappointed with how the team played, but did not have expectations beyond hoping for a few good results against the odds.

The issue with the fans is that Keane's comments have been reported as a dig at the fans for supporting the team. He was really saying that the team should be giving the fans something to cheer about.

If Roy thinks that the fans should be miserable because the team failed, well, I think he's missing the point of what these tournaments are and should be for fans. They go, they enjoy, they represent our country and they make friends, and they support the team. In that order. But they are fans, and that is exactly what they should do.

Players should be better prepared, and treat the competition as they would any other professional engagement, but Roy shouldn't be foisting those demands onto a fanbase.

It's only sport after all.

Well said sir.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

sammymaguire

No he should not be the next Ireland Manager, the man is a pure liability, slightly deluded.
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

ardal

My personal opinion. You are a member of a team, you never let the team down. I fully understand that Roy Keane is one of the greatest players of our generation, but he ran away like a spoilt child. Admittedly the squad rose to fight the odds and might have even been able to do so because he had ran away like a child.

Thus, Keane as Irish manager? Over my dead body

imtommygunn

If you look objectively at his CV he has a history of walking away. I don't know why anyone, let alone Ireland, would employ him with his track record.

I can't see how he would work with the FAI anyway.

Agent Orange

He didn't always walk away, he was run out of town on a few occassions.

fitzroyalty

I would like to see Keane do it. Partly to put his money where his mouth is and partly to annoy every Liverpool/Chelsea/Arsenal/Leeds/etc fan in Ireland  :D

International football would suit him I reckon, sound knowledge of the players and plenty of time to prepare for games. Less pressure on him than in club football. Think he'd bring a level of professionalism that he so craved back 02. 14 years of service - an Irish footballing legend.

Stevie g 8

No chance of him ever getting the Ireland job,not with his dismal record,he'd be lucky to get a job in the league of Ireland .no club in their right mind would go near him

DuffleKing

That's fine until you realise he has a better club management record than Staunton, Kerr, McCarthy or charlton had...

EC Unique

Quote from: DuffleKing on June 21, 2012, 08:32:11 AM

That's fine until you realise he has a better club management record than Staunton, Kerr, McCarthy or charlton had...

That is true plus club management is a totally different job to international.

Clown

The calls to name Roy as Ireland manager are ludicrous, and in general sum up this knee-jerk reaction the general irish soccer bandwagoner has

Because a man made a few controversial points as a pundit, he should be made manager?

i read David O'Learys column in the mirror during these championships and he's talked a lot of sense. Must start a campaign to sack Trap and get Dave in

it shouldnt be about Keane again, but 10 years on sadly it is FFS