French Alps

Started by JimStynes, January 03, 2016, 09:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

Flying into Geneva on 12th of July. I have 5 nights in Morzine for a cycling trip. Then the wife is flying over to meet me on the 17th July and we have 10 nights. Going to drive around rather than train or bus. Don't know much about the area but would like some help with an itinerary and hotel suggestions.

What about something like:
Evian 3 nights
Montreux 2 nights
Chamoinx 2 nights
Annecy - 3 nights
Fly out of Geneva

The Tour De France is on and close to where we will be so I will hopefully get to see a bit of it as well.

As I said I know nothing about the area and no doubt there are nicer places. We are looking a bit of a mixture of sight seeing, sunbathing, few nice walks. I will have done my cycling before I start the touristy stuff so I will be happy enough not to want to go cycling, plus the wife would kill me.
Cheers

seafoid

Jim

You could get a boat from Evian to Montreux.

There are interesting museums in Martigny which is on the way from Montreux to Chamonix. One about St Bernard dogs and then the Giaconada art institute. If you have time you could go up to the St Bernard pass...the history is interesting
While you are in the area you could try an open air spa like at Lavey Les Bains. Hot water , coldish air and the mountains around you. It's a great experience  .

France is way cheaper than Switz so you could do Montreux in a day...
Evian is one hours drive from Aigle I think. Evian would be a good base.
There are some very nice Michelin star restaurants in the region if you save money by not staying in Switz

Annecy is really special.
Geneva has good shopping.
If you are into tennis there are loads of courts

Get a guide to Alpine walks . Chamonix is great for them. The cable car up the Aigle du Midi is spectacular as well.
the Abondance valley is worth a detour and the cheese is fabulous.

Don't wander off onto Mont Blanc. It's very dangerous in summer!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlkxC15omnA
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

illdecide

Jim i think u have too much money...but that's not the issue here. Dunno anything about that area but doubt you could go wrong...looks class and i'd love to be going too ;)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Rois

Jealous!

Montreux Jazz festival will be on so it'll be expensive to spend two nights in the town itself.  Loads of free outdoor concerts however, and some big names attend the festival so you might catch a good gig.  I know it's very dear in Switzerland, but the views from staying on the Swiss side of the lake are amazing - slightly less impressive on the French side looking at Switzerland as you don't have the dramatic mountains.
I would probably swap a night in Evian or Montreux for an extra night in Chamonix purely for the buzz around Chamonix in the summer but I'm really biased.  You could def spend 3 nights in the Chamonix valley without needing the car (valley bus services are good even in summer).  Evian would probably require more driving but it's just so beautiful around the lakeshore. 

Depending on circumstances, I might be there myself around then.   

Orior

Has anyone done any cycling in the US? Starting from New York, and not looking for anything too taxing.

The option thrown up by this site are very limited http://www.usabiketours.com/
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

illdecide

Quote from: Rois on January 04, 2016, 10:22:15 AM
Jealous!

Montreux Jazz festival will be on so it'll be expensive to spend two nights in the town itself.  Loads of free outdoor concerts however, and some big names attend the festival so you might catch a good gig.  I know it's very dear in Switzerland, but the views from staying on the Swiss side of the lake are amazing - slightly less impressive on the French side looking at Switzerland as you don't have the dramatic mountains.
I would probably swap a night in Evian or Montreux for an extra night in Chamonix purely for the buzz around Chamonix in the summer but I'm really biased.  You could def spend 3 nights in the Chamonix valley without needing the car (valley bus services are good even in summer).  Evian would probably require more driving but it's just so beautiful around the lakeshore. 

Lol...i'm going with him Rois...although only for the first part (Cycling) then when the Boss arrives he's sending me back home. Can't wait for it although the cycling will prob kill me i'm looking forward to the scenery and views.

Rois

Ah ha! 
I'm off to Morzine in about 8 weeks - need more snow though!

Views in Morzine are fab too - I'm sure the biking will be class, I know it's reputed as having the best MTB in Europe. 

seafoid

Jealous!

Aigle is 20 mins away from Montreux by train and much cheaper hotel wise if the festival is on. 

Switzerland was always expensive. I remember paying 2x for a burger in Zurich while interrailing in the 90s but it is  insanely expensive now with the EUR worth 1.08 CHF when it should be 1.46 based on trade. There is no satisfaction eating out in Switzerland. You just pay over the odds for mediocre food. Starting price for a pizza is 20 euros. Dinner for 2 will be around 90 euros for a main course and a dessert with water to drink. Just not worth it. Even if the view over to Haute Savoie is spectacular.

France has far better quality , is far cheaper and the wine is far better.

Hardy

Quote from: Orior on January 04, 2016, 10:27:03 AM
Has anyone done any cycling in the US? Starting from New York, and not looking for anything too taxing.

The option thrown up by this site are very limited http://www.usabiketours.com/

Dave Turner who runs Drogheda and District Support 4 Older People cycled across the States a couple of years ago with his mate Gerry Mulroy - Virginia to Washington or Oregon - to raise funds for the centre. There used to be a blog online, but I can't find it now. Dave also wrote a book on it. It had what looked like a lot of useful information about places to stay (cycling people put up travelling fellow cyclists free of charge). You could contact Dave via the Drogheda and District Support 4 Older People site : (http://www.dds4op.com/)

The Gs Man

Quote from: illdecide on January 04, 2016, 11:38:30 AM
Jealous!

Lol...i'm going with him Rois...although only for the first part (Cycling) then when the Boss arrives he's sending me back home. Can't wait for it although the cycling will prob kill me i'm looking forward to the scenery and views.

Jazz Festival?

These two lads wouldn't know their musical arse from their more power to their elbow.
Keep 'er lit

illdecide

Quote from: The Gs Man on January 04, 2016, 03:54:58 PM
Jealous!

Jazz Festival?

These two lads wouldn't know their musical arse from their more power to their elbow.

Easy you...i'm a legend on the tin whistle saan. the Kilwilkee flute band taught me everything. I'll have the Irish music in full swing over there ;)

JimStynes

Quote from: The Gs Man on January 04, 2016, 03:54:58 PM
Jealous!

Jazz Festival?

The wife will be with me at this time though. She would love the Jazz festival.

And illdecide, if I don't get rid of about 3 stone I could be on the plane home after a few days!

JimStynes

I could maybe take a night out of Montreux and spend an extra night in Chamonix then! Does anyone have any hotel recommendations for any of these places? Ive seen a couple at a reasonable enough rate. Also where is the best place to hire a car on the French side of Geneva Airport?

Rois

Best Western Hotel Les Aiglons in Chamonix was perfect for us due to outdoor pool. Let me know what options you have at good prices and I'll let you know where they are in town.

There's a great train line into Montreux with local trains so just stay somewhere on it, even staying in Lausanne would be ok. We stayed at Clarion Lavaux - noisy with trains and road but free parking and beautiful views.

I've hired from Sixt on both sides of airport. Remember to make sure you have a vignette (little sticker) to allow you to drive on Swiss motorways. By the time July comes it should be no prob - someone who has rented the car before you will prob have bought one already.

seafoid

Quote from: JimStynes on January 04, 2016, 10:08:47 PM
I could maybe take a night out of Montreux and spend an extra night in Chamonix then! Does anyone have any hotel recommendations for any of these places? Ive seen a couple at a reasonable enough rate. Also where is the best place to hire a car on the French side of Geneva Airport?
the Hilton in Evian is nice