Podcasts

Started by Soup an Samajiz, November 06, 2015, 09:28:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

6th sam

Quote from: Snapchap on May 27, 2023, 05:55:52 AM
Quote from: Saffrongael on May 26, 2023, 09:01:32 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 26, 2023, 07:25:26 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on May 25, 2023, 09:12:30 PM
Gaa social a fantastic podcast. You wouldn't get a much better one than the Brian canavan episode. Must listen to the Kevin hughes one.

Am I the only one who thinks they are constantly a sad story  :o

No you aren't. That's the sort of stuff that "sells" though nowadays.

Noticed this some time back. It's been getting far too dependant on trying to get guests with emotional back stories.

Such stories can be interesting but it just feels almost relentless with the GAA Social. Actual football chat seems a secondary concern a lot of the time.

There's only so much to be said about football and most top sportsmen don't give too much football knowledge away- the omertà of the changing room etc. However , the back stories for me are brilliant. High achievers letting us into their lives , and how they aren't perfect , but weathered the storm and went on to achieve great things . Invaluable Lessons in persistence, resilience and character that Are much more important than the 2:03 I scored against Roscommon. Niblock and Mcconville are hitting the right notes, in that respect. Just setting the context and allowing the personalities and life lessons to shine through. The Kevin Hughes podcast was outstanding .

Snapchap

Quote from: 6th sam on May 27, 2023, 06:42:38 AM
Gaa social a fantastic podcast. You wouldn't get a much better one than the Brian canavan episode. Must listen to the Kevin hughes one.

Noticed this some time back. It's been getting far too dependant on trying to get guests with emotional back stories.

Such stories can be interesting but it just feels almost relentless with the GAA Social. Actual football chat seems a secondary concern a lot of the time.

There's only so much to be said about football and most top sportsmen don't give too much football knowledge away- the omertà of the changing room etc. However , the back stories for me are brilliant. High achievers letting us into their lives , and how they aren't perfect , but weathered the storm and went on to achieve great things . Invaluable Lessons in persistence, resilience and character that Are much more important than the 2:03 I scored against Roscommon. Niblock and Mcconville are hitting the right notes, in that respect. Just setting the context and allowing the personalities and life lessons to shine through. The Kevin Hughes podcast was outstanding .

Like I say, there's such a thing as balance. If I want a podcast about self help and life lessons in resilience, there's an industry churning them out. If I want one where guests talk nothing but football, there's an ocean of those too. If you want a bit of a mix, then the GAA Social just isn't quite there. Still a top podcast but their choice of guests does suggest that they are still far too obsessed with stories of people with stories about sickness and death. It's meant to be first and foremost a GAA podcast after all. Sometimes feels like they get someone on purely for the emotional back story and they have to talk a token bit of football at the start but just can't wait to get stuck into the sickness and death stuff.

Mario

Yes it's like the xfactor of the gaa. I get that it's something different to the other podcasts and often it's a good listen but i prefer the ones that focus on the football. Smaller fish is the best imo but it's behind a paywall.

screenexile

The Examiner one is the best I think. All football and coaching all the time. It's recently behind a paywall but I figured €10 for 10 weeks wasn't bad for something I really enjoy listening to.

Smaller Fosh definitely has good contributors but I can't have Wooly at all.

Sportacus

The Kevin Hughes podcast was very moving.  I find it very interesting to listen to these men who you watched for years and only really thought of them as a footballer with X qualities.  The Hughes podcast more than any other was a real eye opener into the quality of human being they are. He came across as an outstanding person who has experienced highs and lows which were off the scale.

AustinPowers

Quote from: Snapchap on May 27, 2023, 07:02:04 AM
Quote from: 6th sam on May 27, 2023, 06:42:38 AM

Like I say, there's such a thing as balance. If I want a podcast about self help and life lessons in resilience, there's an industry churning them out. If I want one where guests talk nothing but football, there's an ocean of those too. If you want a bit of a mix, then the GAA Social just isn't quite there. Still a top podcast but their choice of guests does suggest that they are still far too obsessed with stories of people with stories about sickness and death. It's meant to be first and foremost a GAA podcast after all. Sometimes feels like they get someone on purely for the emotional back story and they have to talk a token bit of football at the start but just can't wait to get stuck into the sickness and death stuff.

Laochra Gael  has gone too much  in that direction.  The noel o Leary and  Johnny mc giurk ones  were so  depressing.  I get that  people have troubled  times in their  lives , but  their troubles completely  diminished anything they  ever did  on the pitch .

Saffrongael

Yeah Laochra Gael the same now, this stuff is all you really see on tv now. Every reality tv star now makes a documentary about some "demon" within them. 
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Brick Tamlin

Gaa social started off decent but it's definitely too heavy at times. The Francie episode was shite god love him being corralled into it. And is it me or does niblock blow a serious amount of smoke up guests arses, a certain degree of fawning whilst Oisin getting money for old rope riding shotgun.

marty34

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on May 28, 2023, 10:55:24 AM
Gaa social started off decent but it's definitely too heavy at times. The Francie episode was shite god love him being corralled into it. And is it me or does niblock blow a serious amount of smoke up guests arses, a certain degree of fawning whilst Oisin getting money for old rope riding shotgun.

These things start out well intentioned but then start to drift to the 'stories' adter a series.

JimStynes

Jesus tough crowd in here. GAA social is a brilliant podcast.

marty34

Quote from: JimStynes on May 28, 2023, 03:34:13 PM

Started well but then drifts to the background stories - like X-Factor and Laochra Gael etc.

They all seem to do this after a while.  Maybe run out of people to do stories on.

JoG2

Great listen, but can't rest on their laurels, hope they reach out to Marty

marty34

Quote from: JoG2 on May 28, 2023, 04:31:05 PM

Errr, I'm not rhe only one saying that. As a matter of fact, it was raised by somebody else.

JoG2

Quote from: marty34 on May 28, 2023, 04:43:32 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on May 28, 2023, 04:31:05 PM

Errr, I'm not rhe only one saying that. As a matter of fact, it was raised by somebody else.

;D, who doesn't enjoy a bit of emotion once a week?!

Brendan

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on May 28, 2023, 10:55:24 AM

Should have just cut it short when they had to talk about the scenery around Crossmaglen