What should be done about the Leinster Final Fiasco?

Started by muppet, July 11, 2010, 06:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What should be done?

Award Louth the title and Meath enter qualifiers
39 (22.8%)
Order a replay
69 (40.4%)
Meath are champions and Louth enter qualifiers
63 (36.8%)

Total Members Voted: 170

Maguire01

Quote from: Shrewdness on July 11, 2010, 06:53:54 PM
Let's not exonerate the two umpires from any blame in this. They were the gobshites who had a birds eye of view, and bottled it.
Neither one of them should ever don a white coat again.
The vast majority of umpires appear incompetent. The GAA really needs to sort this out. They should also be given referee training and for senior games, the umpires should probably be refs, the way the linesmen are.

kickingmule

>:(this clown and his white coated sidekicks should be made an example of by the gaa....
and banished from ever officating @ any gaa game in the future.
REPLAY? ..... BOLLICKS .... GAA DO THE RIGHT THING ONCE IN YOUR LIVES!!!!

LOUTH WE WISH YOU WELL ...... TRUE CHAMPIONS.

lawnseed

Cooney already throwing up shite about the ref getting roughed up didnt want to get off the fence and say what most gaels think- it has to be a replay. thought i saw sludsie heading into the lisdoo for his dinner just now :D :D :D
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

put-it-up

What is the point of having the Umpires there if they aren't going to make the call. Umpires should prob be referees from now on.

Shout for a replay all you like, it won't happen.

My sympathies are with Louth and your improvements and committed performances this year give us Cavan fans hope for the future if the right man is put in charge.

However, the scenes after the game were embarrasing. Bottles being hurled and shoulders being given. That is just not on.

Hound

I think the rules are correct in that a match cannot be replayed because a ref made a bad decision. Even a truly badly awful one.

All the GAA can do is say sorry to Louth and expel the referee and his umpires from every officiating at inter-county level (tho I hugely doubt that'll happen).

The GAA will also no doubt erect fences around the pitch now, because of the total incompetence of the gardai and the stewards.

heffo

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on July 11, 2010, 06:34:30 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 11, 2010, 06:26:22 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on July 11, 2010, 06:21:11 PM
Awarding Louth the Leinster Championship is  a non-runner
Its either a replay or stands as a Meath win.
It needs to be replayed.
why? they won it. 

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on July 11, 2010, 06:25:18 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on July 11, 2010, 06:21:11 PM
Awarding Louth the Leinster Championship is  a non-runner
Its either a replay or stands as a Meath win.
It needs to be replayed.

Connacht Council are about to make Louth an offer to enter the 2011 Connacht Championship.
are you serious

hopefully Meath and the GAA Central Council will do the honourable thing and agree to a replay.

Central Council have no role whatsoever in a game that falls under Leinster's remit - you should know that.

muppet

Quote from: Hound on July 11, 2010, 07:27:18 PM
I think the rules are correct in that a match cannot be replayed because a ref made a bad decision. Even a truly badly awful one.

All the GAA can do is say sorry to Louth and expel the referee and his umpires from every officiating at inter-county level (tho I hugely doubt that'll happen).

The GAA will also no doubt erect fences around the pitch now, because of the total incompetence of the gardai and the stewards.

There are many precedents of the Gaa ordering replays and even overturning results but they are all long ago. For me the key question should be 'is there a rule preventing the Gaa from ordering a replay or overturning a result?'.

I don't believe there is the will among the authorities to pursue fair play and justice in the game and that imho is the problem. At least rugby sorted that out.
MWWSI 2017

Cosmo Kramer

Have the rules on replays changed since the Laois Carlow disputed point incident a few years ago. Someone will fill in the blanks here for me but my recollection is that Laois offered Carlow a replay, Carlow accepted and a replay was played. Did this happen or am I imagining things? And has there been any rule change that would prevent the same thing from happening here?
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

Rossfan

Quote from: heffo on July 11, 2010, 07:33:03 PM

Central Council have no role whatsoever in a game that falls under Leinster's remit - you should know that.

Was it the Munster CCCCCCCCCC that banned Sé and Galvin?
No ! so why cannot he said CCCC review this disgraceful error and make it right.?
I've been harping on about Umpires for years yet the GAA continued to keep its head in the sand and ignore the problem which came back to bite with a vengeance today ruining a great day for Louth GAA people.
Also who was responsible for Security today?
Surely there should have been a posse organised to surround the ref right away.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

redhandluke

More the umpires at fault than the ref - the ref can only a foul IF he see's it.  He consulted the umpire - he can do no more.  IMHO, the Louth players threw the game away themselves, poor shooting and ball handling.

As a point of principle Meath should keep the title, especially after the disgraceful behaviour of the Louth players and spectators, anything else will show that the GAA condone this type of behaviour.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on July 11, 2010, 07:42:14 PM
Have the rules on replays changed since the Laois Carlow disputed point incident a few years ago. Someone will fill in the blanks here for me but my recollection is that Laois offered Carlow a replay, Carlow accepted and a replay was played. Did this happen or am I imagining things? And has there been any rule change that would prevent the same thing from happening here?

It happened
You'll Never Walk Alone.

RMDrive

If this had happened in the first minute would people still be calling for a replay? If it was a point that was given but had gone wide? If a player had received a red card but didn't leave the playing area?
A combination of the stage in the game and Louth's long run without a Leinster seem to have made people go a bit mad. There won't be a reply nor should there be. Time for Louth to get the heads down and prepare for their next game. They are a good team and should be looking to go further.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: redhandluke on July 11, 2010, 07:45:40 PM
More the umpires at fault than the ref - the ref can only a foul IF he see's it.  He consulted the umpire - he can do no more.  IMHO, the Louth players threw the game away themselves, poor shooting and ball handling.

As a point of principle Meath should keep the title, especially after the disgraceful behaviour of the Louth players and spectators, anything else will show that the GAA condone this type of behaviour.
ffs, he did not consult the umpires! The Louth manager has confirmed (from his players I assume!) that he went in and told the umpire to raise the flag! Sludden give the goal.

And what disgraceful behaviour of the Louth players are you referring to?  If it wasnt for the louth players and manager sludden would have got the head bate of him.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

muppet

Quote from: RMDrive on July 11, 2010, 07:46:47 PM
If this had happened in the first minute would people still be calling for a replay? If it was a point that was given but had gone wide? If a player had received a red card but didn't leave the playing area?
A combination of the stage in the game and Louth's long run without a Leinster seem to have made people go a bit mad. There won't be a reply nor should there be. Time for Louth to get the heads down and prepare for their next game. They are a good team and should be looking to go further.

But it didn't happen in the first minute did it? Why do people persist with irrelevant arguments?
MWWSI 2017

put-it-up

i know the immediate concern is for Louth but my own long-term worries are the pitch invasions.

Someday soon, god forbid, someone is going to be killed or badly injured. They have to stop. But then again nobody wants to see fences the whole way around the stadium. Something has to be done. They are a complete danger and nobody wants to see young Louth fans fighting with Meath fans - because whether you like it or not, that happened today during all the chaos.

It would be nice to think a replay would be offered and it would show incredible sportsmanship from Meath. Can't see it happening though. And I have to say, In my opinion a penalty should have been given even if the goal had have been ruled out. Unless it was a square ball but I haven't seen it in that much detail to say.