M50 and its traffic

Started by mannix, June 15, 2007, 11:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Gaeilgoir

if you are coming in the m7 towards the red cow, take the outer relief road at the kingswood beside the Irish Independent offices...keep going straight past Wyeth and the penny hill pub; This route will bring you out on the m4 at woodies in lucan. It will take you between 20 and 40 mins depemding on traffic.

Zapatista

Is it hypocritical to complain about the traffic while sitting in your car ???

Sky Blue

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on February 19, 2008, 06:12:13 PM

Davittman i wouldn't take the M50 at all, get a city map and cross country it to ranelagh, using back streets, rathmines, kimmage, islandbridge, chapleizod and the lucan before hitting the M4
Mayo4Sam is right. Avoid it if at all possible. I haven't been on it in months and manage fine. Its frustrating as feck.

Rois

I know it's been a while since this thread was last used...

Need to get out to Citywest today for 4pm or so, will be coming off the M50 from Belfast direction.  There are rumours in my office of bad roadworks on the N7 but I've a feeling it's just because the person going along there was doing so at rush hour this morning.  I was going to give myself the usual 2hrs.  Would I need more than this to be going through Newlands Cross at c.3.30pm?

Donnellys Hollow

It shouldn't be too bad at that time but it tends to be a bit hit and miss most evenings.

If you wanted to avoid Newlands Cross and the N7 completely you could turn off the M50 onto the N4 and take the exit at Junction 4 Adamstown. That will bring you out to Newcastle which is only 5-10 minutes from Saggart.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

thebigfella

I'd add 30 mins on anyway at least if your going through Newlands Cross.  It's hit and miss, been through it at this time before and can be a nightmare.

armaghniac

This is it, seems to be moving OK at present, pull in at the service station before Swords and see how it is
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

Armaghniac that is great info!

Anyone know when that bridge is likely to open? It looks at an advanced stage now.
MWWSI 2017

Tubberman

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on October 23, 2014, 12:15:54 PM
It shouldn't be too bad at that time but it tends to be a bit hit and miss most evenings.

If you wanted to avoid Newlands Cross and the N7 completely you could turn off the M50 onto the N4 and take the exit at Junction 4 Adamstown. That will bring you out to Newcastle which is only 5-10 minutes from Saggart.

Or take the Lucan/Ballyowen exit off the N4 and that will bring you directly across to the Kingswood exit off the N7, and then you're in Citywest.
But at that time you'd probably be as quick to go through Newlands, even though it mightn't feel like it when you're sitting in the traffic.
I go through it every day :(
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Tubberman

Quote from: muppet on October 23, 2014, 12:42:51 PM

Anyone know when that bridge is likely to open? It looks at an advanced stage now.

Before Christmas according to the NRA - head guy was on Newstalk last week.
They have the flyover surfaced, and are putting in the central barrier. Bit of tidying up to do and it should be good to go!
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

muppet

Quote from: Tubberman on October 23, 2014, 12:46:18 PM
Quote from: muppet on October 23, 2014, 12:42:51 PM

Before Christmas according to the NRA - head guy was on Newstalk last week.
They have the flyover surfaced, and are putting in the central barrier. Bit of tidying up to do and it should be good to go!

That will be magic!
MWWSI 2017

muppet

Quote from: armaghniac on October 23, 2014, 12:40:10 PM
This is it, seems to be moving OK at present, pull in at the service station before Swords and see how it is

Is that the N7 inbound (towards Dublin) approaching Newlands Cross?
MWWSI 2017

armaghniac

QuoteIs that the N7 inbound (towards Dublin) approaching Newlands Cross?

It is the city side of Newlands Cross, the flyover just being out of the picture on the left.

Going from Lucan seems a good move if coming from the North, that is decent route.  Note at this time 13:10, the outbound traffic is in a queue in the traffic cam above!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Donnellys Hollow

There could be knock on effects further south once this is up and running. The N/M7 as far as Newbridge is a mess every evening. The traffic seems to ease after the Newhall junction. It will be worse once the Kerry Group in Naas is fully opened and the works start to add an extra lane on the old Naas bypass section as far as the M9 spur.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Rois

Thanks guys.  Useful info esp on the alternative routes.

Tune in to Entrepreneur of the Year awards on RTE tonight to see if I've made it on time  ;D