Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smurfy123

What's going on in Castlewellan. Beaten by Saul last week and then by Bredagh in the championship yesterday? Where has it all gone wrong since they won division 1

terrifictommy

Anyone at the game tonight, seems like a good decent game of football? I'm not really surprised by the result either. Has Davidson given CPN the added spice?

Square Ball

Quote from: terrifictommy on August 16, 2020, 08:56:28 PM
Anyone at the game tonight, seems like a good decent game of football? I'm not really surprised by the result either. Has Davidson given CPN the added spice?

You not watch it online? Was a good game indeed
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

SHEEDY

Quote from: terrifictommy on August 16, 2020, 08:56:28 PM
watched it on pairc TV, great coverage, Connor deegan doesn't get too excited on co commentary though, same tone throughout  :D
Point well worth the win, the 2 boyles, Patrick murdock and cormac mccartan were really good for the point. Burren were very poor, Liam kerr the only player that carried any threat.
nil satis nisi optimum

terrifictommy

No I missed the coverage. No 20p coins  for the WiFi metre
I don't think this is a big shock.
Is the draw tomorrow evening?

befair

V good coverage, pic was crystal clear, commentary fine

Smurfy123

Brilliant performance from the lads tonight.
Best team all over the field

Winners pot
Kilcoo
Ballyholland
CPN
Bredagh
Rostrevor
Clonduff/Carryduff
Bryansford
Longstone

Losers pot
Darragh Cross
Burren
Mayobridge
Loughinisland
Glenn
Carryduff/Clonduff
Downpatrick
Castlewellan

That losers pot could throw up a big one

upandwin

Some game last night, brilliant to finally see two teams go toe-to-toe and just let the football do the talking-It's restored some of my faith in our game. It was exactly what was needed after that Glenn-Ford game earlier in the day. Thought the two teams spent the first half sussing each other out, probably because they haven't played each other in championship football in almost 15yrs. Thought Burren started by far the better side and after going 3pts up in the first 5mins, it looked to me like it was going to be one way traffic but the point weathered the storm well. I think there is real character in that Warrenpoint side, got to see a lot of them over the last few years and been impressed at their bouncebackability (is that still a word?). For me, Paddy Murdock, Ryan Boyle and Ciaran McCartan the pick of the players for them. Also Young McCormack and no.7 (Ryan Magee I think) did a lot of the unnoticed work, for me they were the point's two most underrated performers last night. Davidson was poor enough I thought, showed glimpses of his former self but doesn't look fit. Their squad strength showed when (for the first time that I can see) CPN had a few substitutes who can come on and genuinely influence the game.

For Burren I thought In the first 10mins McKernan went well and tried to drive the team on and lead from the front, he scored the first point and gave a massive roar afterwards and could tell he was trying to G the younger lads up, still a leader for Burren. Thought Liam Kerr was spectacular, it was a definite black card for him in the second half but other than that he was electric-a joy to watch. Cathal Foy wasn't as effective as he can be, nor was young Fegan (Stevy?) but those lads still look a bit rusty and will benefit from the game time last night. Young McGrath in half forward was well shackled, had a very very quiet game. I was surprised big Ryan Treanor didn't start the game, to add some physicality inside for the long ball that Burren were trying to use. Ryan McAleenan did a sterling job on O'Hare, thought he was really really poor by his lofty standards-think more a testament to the tenacity of the point half backs and midfield to cut off supply in to him. I think there's a lot more to come from this Burren side and would bet my life they'll be in the mix come semi final/final time. They may well take the back door run as an opportunity to build momentum and progress that way-Kilcoo have done that effectively in the past.

What are the thoughts on tonight's fixture? Fancy Carryduff to overturn the result from this fixture last year to win by 1 against Clonduff. Hoping for a really big clash in both pots of the next round, the dream scenario for me would be:

Burren vs Bridge
Kilcoo vs CPN
Loughinisland vs RGU

guevara

Point vs Burren was a fantastic game. Both Teams went for it from the throw in. People seem to underestimate The Point's physicality. I thought at the closer stages of the game The Point were able to win the close encounters and pull away.

Ryan Boyle was simply unplayable, with pace and power that Burren simply had no answer for. Paddy Murdock is the best full-back in The County. No frills but reads the game brilliantly, teak tough and makes it all look simple.

The Point got lucky in a sense. Davidson was being substituted, Ref played on and he hits a beautiful pass to Ross for a goal.

For Burren Liam Kerr was fantastic and carried the game to The Point. McKernan and Donal O'Hare were pretty poor and McKernan in particular was anonymous when Burren needed him.

Finally Mark Doran recently stated that Paddy Tally and his selectors would be picking boys for Down based on performances and not names. Let's see if this happens or is it all lip service and the same 20 boys from before will be representing Down.
I honestly believe we have some very talented players who are a lot better than some on show in Red & Black. Nobody can blame boys for not wanting to commit to Down when they see players who have been extremely poor for their Club be brought back to County Teams on an annual basis.
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

downjim

Point were with worth the victory, we kicked too much possession away. The point really look improved and will be between them them and kilcoo for the title. Burren and Bridge derby coming up again no doubt.
Some excellent defenders on show over the weekends games btw

elk

Great coverage of the CPN / Burren game last night on Pairc TV, entertaining game. Besides Laim Kerr CPN players had the edge all over the pitch. Ryan Boyle, Paddy Murdock and Ciaran Mc Cartan were excellent for CPN. Would have to agree with Upandwin in that Davidson looked to be a yard of the pace and gave the ball away a lot. I would imagine some of the lads who came off the bench might fancy their chances of starting before him next game. Wouldn't write Burren off yet as with Kerr and O'Hare they have the potential to rack up heavy scores but they would need better service as O'Hare had to come out the pitch away from the scoring zone looking for the ball.

Smurfy123

A lot of talk about this great up and coming Carryduff team. They have done well to get themselves into division 1 but have failed to beat anyone of note in senior championship football this few years. They were awful tonight. Basic skill levels were really poor
Tough one for us. Burren and Kilcoo. Not making it easy

the goal was on

Guevara considering paddy tally was doing commentary for Tyrone tv over weekend when some down champ games were on I doubt it !

upandwin

Sooooo now we know the draws for the next round of the SFC how does everyone see it playing out? Before anyone says it I'm aware there is a separate forum for champ predictions lol Just getting the debate going here...

I think Burren v the Town is a non contest, Burren to have that wrapped up by half time I think, be surprised if they don't win by 10 or more, might be a good chance for them to try some younger players and blood them in like Danny Magill etc. They need to find a different player or two to break in to the starting 15 and challenge the Magpies this year. Fancy Carryduff to beat RGU in a very tight game, actually thought RGU would have been too strong for the reds and came up short in the last round and maybe that will have taken the wind out of the sails a bit, Carryduff by 1 for me. Loughinisland to beat DC by at least 7/8, shocked at their first result tbh and think there'll be a big reaction to that result. Mayobridge to edge out a gutsy Glenn side by 4/5 I think Bridge fitness will take them through at the end of a tight enough affair.

On the winners side, Think Clonduff will push on and have been really impressive over the last two seasons under new management, look to have the bit between the teeth now and not the pushovers they sued to be. Clonduff to beat Ford by 2 (Probably another Septic Stevey display...can see that one being a snoozefest with The yellows winning out just....). Longstone Ballyholland is a great draw for both teams, giving a real opportunity to a lesser fancied team to reach the latter stages of the competition. Fancy the Harps to win this one by 5/6, they have too much quality up front for the Stone IMO. Think if Rushe or Loughran show up at all they should win with a few to spare. Rostrevor will beat Bredagh easy IMO, have seen the reds a fair bit over the last couple of years too and think if they had the real hunger and ambition of previous Rostrevor sides they could challenge anyone on their day. Maybe this year will be too much of a stretch for them to beat the 'Big Three' atm in Burren, CPN and Kilcoo...even think maybe they'd struggle against the Bridge. Rostrevor to win by 8 if Mooney plays well.

The standout fixture once again involves Warrenpoint in the repeat of the 2019 final...This will be a massive test for CPN and maybe the high of beating their nearest and dearest on Sunday will take its toll but that being said, if they can't get motivated to beat the Ulster Champs then there is something seriously wrong. I can't quite call this fixture, Magpies are the absolute masters of tactics and will slow the game and grind it out I think by 2/3pts...If Warrenpoint stand any chance of reversing last year's result they absolutely need to take their goal chances this time around. They create so many scoring opportunities but aren't efficient enough. If Lavery and the Johnstons are on their game I see Kilcoo winning it but if the point can nullify that threat they stand a real chance as they have the better team going forward I believe. Kilcoo won't be worried about the result either way as I've seen them get knocked out by the mighty Burren in Round 2 before and come back stronger through the Back door. Either way it's a great game to look forward to for us all.

Looking forward to seeing our County Champs again as haven't seen them since the final last year. The county board will be delighted with that draw anyways, as will PaircTV I'd imagine :)

Roll On the weekend!!!! 

Sandstorm

Surprised that a selector of county minors would take a dig at a club he would be drawing players from. Surprised that Bryansford have not got more control over him, I'm sure they wouldn't approve him taking a dig at their neighbours.