George Hook

Started by Boycey, September 13, 2017, 02:01:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

Surely everyone has a right to have an opinion.

Eamonnca1

The "that's my opinion and I'm entitled to it" defence doesn't exempt you from the consequences of your words.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: mouview on September 13, 2017, 03:05:06 PM
Having just read the gist of the controversy, he does have a valid point, namely people get into trouble through making poor choices.
No he does not.

He doesn't excuse the perpetrator of the crime or condone that sort of behaviour.

Yes he does.

QuoteAs you said, the leftie bandwagon need to get a grip somewhat.

"Oh poor little me, the leftists are picking on me!"

Boo f***ing hoo. Funny how the right coined the term "snowflakes" to denigrate what they think are over-sensitive leftists, but as soon as anyone says anything bad about the right they turn into the most delicate little snowflakes of all time.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 13, 2017, 04:23:11 PM
I'm actually shocked anyone is standing up for Hook here. Some of the attitudes are worrying and mirror that attitudes on the thread about the confederate flag.  He should have been sacked immediately. Totally with Esmarelda on this.

For all you people who bemoan "lefties" - you know what's worse that political correctness? Blaming rape victims. Racism. Sexism. And so on. Perhaps political correctness goes to far at times but I'm pretty sure you don't want to err on the other side. Or you shouldn't. It's not so long ago that bananas were thrown at black soccer players in England and everyone thought it was a good laugh. Political correctness, for all it's ills has helped wipe that out.

What happens on social media is just noise. Hook was 100% wrong here and it wasn't just a spur of the moment slip of the tongue. A person who is raped is not to blame. Doing so provides a level justification for the perpetrator which is simply heinous in my eyes.

Hear hear. What is it with the right and their hatred of women, minorities, atheists, and anyone who doesn't look like them? They make me sick.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: seafoid on September 13, 2017, 04:42:12 PM
Kev Myers was last month. I think it is ridiculous. 
People who do real damage to society are untouched. What George Hook  did wouldnt have been brought before the court in Nuremberg.

Drink culture drives a lot of rapes.
The courts will decide on the basis of comes from a respectable family if it is a middle class man and a working class woman. It is a f**king mess.

The bandwagon moves on to a new victim. Myers lost his income  . Most people will forget what he wrote.

That's a contemptible statement and you should be thoroughly ashamed of yourself. Myers got what was coming to him and Hook should get the same. Nothing "ridiculous" about it.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Hardy on September 13, 2017, 05:00:53 PM
The whole episode is cynical in the extreme. This miserable ould p***k is making a career, cynically supported by Newstalk in pursuit of ratings, out of copying the right-wing American shock-jocks. As somebody mentioned, there is now a formulaic three-minute rant at the start or every show where he selects the latest anti-immigrant, anti-progressive, anti-science or general right wing cause celebre and works himself into a pseudo-frenzy in a blatant attempt to get the text and twitter machines hopping.

Then, when he oversteps the mark, his employers give him a scripted apology to read out while they rub their hands with satisfaction that the formula is working.
Indeed. Meanwhile the poisonous ideology leaks out into society and before you know it you get neo-Nazis openly marching in the street and extremists elected into office. Some people don't seem to realise how dangerous some ideas are.

Tubberman

Quote from: Esmarelda on September 13, 2017, 03:46:32 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on September 13, 2017, 03:38:30 PM
Quote from: general_lee on September 13, 2017, 03:28:50 PM
Having just read the gist of the controversy, he does have a valid point, namely people get into trouble through making poor choices. He doesn't excuse the perpetrator of the crime or condone that sort of behaviour. As you said, the leftie bandwagon need to get a grip somewhat.
Yeah, lefties need to embrace victim-blaming  ::)

Hold on - all girls/women (and indeed men) are told not to walk home alone late at night, especially in quiet or unlit areas as they would be putting themselves at risk of attack. If that person is attacked, is the person who gave the warning guilty of victim blaming?
I made this exact point to someone the other day. Of course they're not. Anyone who has a daughter or sister or female friend but advise caution in certain situations.

However, Hook says the following - "Why does a girl who just meets a fella in a bar go back to a hotel room?" Why wouldn't she? Is she to assume that all men might rape her? How long before it's safe to assume he won't? If a man goes back to a hotel room with a woman should he be careful that she doesn't stab him or drug and rob him? Sure they could cut out his kidney and sell it too.

In the alleged incident, the man she went back with isn't the accused. He left the room (allegedly) and someone else came in and raped her. Hook's response to this is "............Then is surprised when somebody else comes into the room and rapes her." This line in particular is beyond belief. What, she's supposed to expect the fella that she went back with would leave the room allowing a second fella to enter and rape her?

OK I can see your point! I hadn't read the transcript, just got the jist of it over the weekend.
I can see why those comments in particular would be offensive and indefensible, but I still think some are taking far too much glee out of the whole episode.
I genuinely think there is a large proportion of people who are permanently outraged about something
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

thebigfella

Anyone using the trail by social media line needs to get a grip. There has been plenty hung out to dry by the traditional media and their agendas with no right to reply.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Tubberman on September 13, 2017, 06:50:03 PM

OK I can see your point! I hadn't read the transcript, just got the jist of it over the weekend.
I can see why those comments in particular would be offensive and indefensible, but I still think some are taking far too much glee out of the whole episode.
I genuinely think there is a large proportion of people who are permanently outraged about something

There can never be "too much glee" about the downfall of a cretin like Hook.

macdanger2

Quote from: Stall the Bailer on September 13, 2017, 04:53:01 PM
The blame should always lie 100% with the perpetrator. No grey areas no other excuses.

Agree 100%

sid waddell

Hook should be sacked - no ifs or buts. He has form when it comes to abhorrent comments about rape.

Esmarelda

Quote from: Esmarelda on September 13, 2017, 03:46:32 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on September 13, 2017, 03:38:30 PM
Quote from: general_lee on September 13, 2017, 03:28:50 PM
Having just read the gist of the controversy, he does have a valid point, namely people get into trouble through making poor choices. He doesn't excuse the perpetrator of the crime or condone that sort of behaviour. As you said, the leftie bandwagon need to get a grip somewhat.
Yeah, lefties need to embrace victim-blaming  ::)

Hold on - all girls/women (and indeed men) are told not to walk home alone late at night, especially in quiet or unlit areas as they would be putting themselves at risk of attack. If that person is attacked, is the person who gave the warning guilty of victim blaming?
I made this exact point to someone the other day. Of course they're not. Anyone who has a daughter or sister or female friend but advise caution in certain situations.

However, Hook says the following - "Why does a girl who just meets a fella in a bar go back to a hotel room?" Why wouldn't she? Is she to assume that all men might rape her? How long before it's safe to assume he won't? If a man goes back to a hotel room with a woman should he be careful that she doesn't stab him or drug and rob him? Sure they could cut out his kidney and sell it too.

In the alleged incident, the man she went back with isn't the accused. He left the room (allegedly) and someone else came in and raped her. Hook's response to this is "............Then is surprised when somebody else comes into the room and rapes her." This line in particular is beyond belief. What, she's supposed to expect the fella that she went back with would leave the room allowing a second fella to enter and rape her?

Maybe they are but that's irrelevant to the main point. If Hook was a largely inoffensive individual up to this point then his comments would still be outrageous. As it happens he hasn't been and it's entirely predictable.

sid waddell

If I was asked to name somebody who is permanently outraged about something, Hook would be one of the first people I'd think of, although the many reactionary right-wing posters on this forum would be pretty high up the list too.

Perpetual imaginary victims in their own minds, as opposed to real, actual victims, like, say, rape victims.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: sid waddell on September 13, 2017, 11:04:06 PM

If I was asked to name somebody who is permanently outraged about something, Hook would be one of the first people I'd think of, although the many reactionary right-wing posters on this forum would be pretty high up the list too.

Perpetual imaginary victims in their own minds, as opposed to real, actual victims, like, say, rape victims.

Exactly. Hypocritical snowflakes the lot of them.

sid waddell

Quote from: T Fearon on September 13, 2017, 05:10:56 PM
Surely everyone has a right to have an opinion.
They do. And Hook getting the sack, as he should, would in no way affect his right to have an opinion.