Mayo

Started by ONeill, August 21, 2016, 11:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: iorras on August 25, 2016, 12:31:46 PM
Quote from: blast05 on August 24, 2016, 08:00:33 PM
"Laying down a marker" .... this seems to be the sexy new phrase to bandy about regarding Mayo. It feels however like something ultimately meaningless like "fiscal space" ....

Is it meant to mean a marker in the minds of the Kerry or Dublin lads that will ensure they will actually give Mayo respect and ensure that the the mindset will be fully focused for the final ?
Does anyone really think that is required and that Dublins most recent memory of the semi last year (with Dublin now a less imposing side in my view and Mayo - if nothing else - a tactically smarter side) will be the most immediate reference point while for Kerry they will surely be casting their minds back to the 2014 epic semi-final

Is it a marker in the minds of the Mayo players to convince themselves that can they put in an All-Ireland winning performance if they need to.
Does anyone really think that the Mayo players will be nothing other than supremely confident that they can go out and play to their max potential when the day comes ? That now, at the end of August, that they are where they wanted to be at the start of the season ? They are long enough at this game to know there is only 1 stat that counts and shooting the lights out against Tipperary would count for nothing (does anyone really belief that any Mayo player that left that dressing room v Tipp for the 2nd half was mentally tuned in enough to give every last fibre of their being to secure a massively comprehensive victory ... something that would have been completely unnecessary ?!).

And if Dublin put an unconvincing performance in against Kerry but still win by 3 or 4 points, will people be questioning the fact that they have been unable to put down a 'marker' against either Donegal or Kerry - the only 2 games they have had this year to date. Of course they won't.

Marker ? ? ? Wheres the bloody tiippex

I'm not talking up our team .... the reality is regardless of who we would play in the final that if we were to play them 4 times, it would end up something like 2 wins to them, a draw and 1 win to us (someone can calculate what odds that would equate to)..... but lets not be disingenuous in any discussions between now and the final. We can leave that to the Dublin or Kerry boys
Great post
Theres also a distinct contradiction in the reaction to the Mayo Tipp semi final. Everyone should be respectful of Tipps performance, they are a good team we were told. Mayo beat them by 5 points, as it was only 5 points and Mayo never got out of third gear Mayo are now bad. So which is it? Tipp are not actually a good team and Mayo should have hammered them therefore Mayo are a bad team because we didnt, or Tipp are actually a good team and Mayo beating them by 5 points was a reasonable result? I'm confused as to what way we are being told we are supposed to think by our overlord masters in RTE, the Irish Independent and twitter. Can they put out a statement clarifying soon please as I need to know if there is any point having the dinner early and cycling to Croke Park on the 18th or not.

This.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

You have a serious chip on your shoulder about Tipp Jinxy. You've been making snide little comments all summer. What happened you? Are you just pissed off that Tipperary are making strides, or trying to,at Football *and* Hurling?

Jinxy

Excuse me, I'm not making snide comments about Tipperary.

I'm making snide comments about Mayo.

I

AZOffaly

Fair enough. You sound like some of the hurling snobs down here though. Maybe I'm just too sensitive :)

muppet

Quote from: Jinxy on August 25, 2016, 01:15:45 PM

I

Right!

You are off my Sky Panel and put straight in as lead pundit for TSG.
MWWSI 2017

iorras

Quote from: Jinxy on August 25, 2016, 01:06:32 PM
Quote from: iorras on August 25, 2016, 12:31:46 PM
Quote from: blast05 on August 24, 2016, 08:00:33 PM
"Laying down a marker" .... this seems to be the sexy new phrase to bandy about regarding Mayo. It feels however like something ultimately meaningless like "fiscal space" ....

Is it meant to mean a marker in the minds of the Kerry or Dublin lads that will ensure they will actually give Mayo respect and ensure that the the mindset will be fully focused for the final ?
Does anyone really think that is required and that Dublins most recent memory of the semi last year (with Dublin now a less imposing side in my view and Mayo - if nothing else - a tactically smarter side) will be the most immediate reference point while for Kerry they will surely be casting their minds back to the 2014 epic semi-final

Is it a marker in the minds of the Mayo players to convince themselves that can they put in an All-Ireland winning performance if they need to.
Does anyone really think that the Mayo players will be nothing other than supremely confident that they can go out and play to their max potential when the day comes ? That now, at the end of August, that they are where they wanted to be at the start of the season ? They are long enough at this game to know there is only 1 stat that counts and shooting the lights out against Tipperary would count for nothing (does anyone really belief that any Mayo player that left that dressing room v Tipp for the 2nd half was mentally tuned in enough to give every last fibre of their being to secure a massively comprehensive victory ... something that would have been completely unnecessary ?!).

And if Dublin put an unconvincing performance in against Kerry but still win by 3 or 4 points, will people be questioning the fact that they have been unable to put down a 'marker' against either Donegal or Kerry - the only 2 games they have had this year to date. Of course they won't.

Marker ? ? ? Wheres the bloody tiippex

I'm not talking up our team .... the reality is regardless of who we would play in the final that if we were to play them 4 times, it would end up something like 2 wins to them, a draw and 1 win to us (someone can calculate what odds that would equate to)..... but lets not be disingenuous in any discussions between now and the final. We can leave that to the Dublin or Kerry boys
Great post
Theres also a distinct contradiction in the reaction to the Mayo Tipp semi final. Everyone should be respectful of Tipps performance, they are a good team we were told. Mayo beat them by 5 points, as it was only 5 points and Mayo never got out of third gear Mayo are now bad. So which is it? Tipp are not actually a good team and Mayo should have hammered them therefore Mayo are a bad team because we didnt, or Tipp are actually a good team and Mayo beating them by 5 points was a reasonable result? I'm confused as to what way we are being told we are supposed to think by our overlord masters in RTE, the Irish Independent and twitter. Can they put out a statement clarifying soon please as I need to know if there is any point having the dinner early and cycling to Croke Park on the 18th or not.

This.
I don't care what you say, its our overlord masters I want to hear from.
Unless you are one of them......... <DUN DUN DUN>

Jinxy

Quote from: muppet on August 25, 2016, 01:37:48 PM

Right!

Me & Colm as senior analysts.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Jinxy on August 25, 2016, 03:10:09 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 25, 2016, 01:37:48 PM

Right!

Me & Colm as senior analysts.

Jinxy, I'm beginning to think that you must be Syferus in (yet another) disguise!
I used to think that he was the only individual on the planet who spent his waking hours obsessing with Mayo football affairs in general and with Mayo threads on this board in particular.
Surely you can find something in The Royal County to enthuse about.
Come to think of it, feck all has happened there since Joe Sheridan dived into the annals of infamy back in 2010.
Karma at work: "What goes around comes around. ... The gods are serving you with the revenge that you truly deserve"
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Jinxy

We're quietly rebuilding our strength, Lar.
A bit like yer man in Lord of the Rings.
Lookit, if Mayo win this All-Ireland they'll have the '96 Meath team to thank.
So in a way, a good part of that victory will be ours.

blast05

Meath Senior Club Championship
Round 1 April 9th
Next round 17 weeks later ... round 2,3 & 4 played within 16 days
And now 5 weeks until the last round robin match.

And then we have a Meath man coming in here having a laugh at Mayo's club championship schedule....

QuoteSurprised the O'Sheas haven't put their foot down with the county board.

::) ::) ::)

Jinxy

In our defence, we had a lot of rain in May, June & July.

Rossfan

Jaysus ye're gone shockin' soft.
Mick Lyons never let the rain stop him.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AZOffaly

Quote from: Rossfan on August 26, 2016, 10:53:13 AM
Jaysus ye're gone shockin' soft.
Mick Lyons never let the rain stop him.

Mick Lyons stopped the rain!

muppet