Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

johnnycool

Quote from: bennydorano on March 12, 2021, 05:47:13 PM
Not sure what Mary Lou is giving off about, I heard 2 different news reports this afternoon that SF snubbed Boris as his visit was a 'publicity stunt'. Mixed messaging there.

SF wanted a sit down meeting with Boris as they've been requesting for months. UK Gov refused so then SF refused to take part in his publicity stunt.

All Boris wants is photo ops, he lacks depth.

Hereiam

So we are now into the 4th month of being taken out of Europe and can anyone see any benefit yet.
In the north here we were told with this protocol that we would have the best of both worlds but I don't see it.
Coke-Cola has been the only major company I have heard saying that brexit happening was great.
When is Amazon etc gona start building their new buildings here to take advantage of our "unique position"

armaghniac

Quote from: Hereiam on April 08, 2021, 04:47:53 PM
So we are now into the 4th month of being taken out of Europe and can anyone see any benefit yet.
In the north here we were told with this protocol that we would have the best of both worlds but I don't see it.
Coke-Cola has been the only major company I have heard saying that brexit happening was great.
When is Amazon etc gona start building their new buildings here to take advantage of our "unique position"

Who would invest when the First Minister is trying to abolish the Protocol?
However, the advantages still exist, food exports from GB have fallen as much as 90%, NI food suppliers have carried on as normal supplying all over Europe, which is little talked about.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

weareros

Quote from: armaghniac on April 09, 2021, 07:10:14 PM

However, the advantages still exist, food exports from GB have fallen as much as 90%, NI food suppliers have carried on as normal supplying all over Europe, which is little talked about.

Indeed. In fact, there was a little footnote when UK released their January 2021 results, where exports to Ireland (South) were down 65%, which was all Brexit. It stated: Data for Northern Ireland to EU exports are still being collected through Intrastat.

So they were not in the UK #s.

What we do know from Ireland South's numbers is that imports from North to South increased 177 million euros from 161 million euros in the same time period. Without the Protocol, that would not have been possible, as the North would have faced the same difficulties exporting to a EU market like Ireland South, as rest of UK did. The rest of UK represented a 1 billion Sterling decline in their exports just to Ireland alone in January. A similar result for NI would have seen a 104 million loss. Instead they gained. That's one side of the best of both worlds. We'll have to see how exports to rest of UK fared to see the other side.

Of course don't expert to hear this from any Unionist politician.

armaghniac

Quote from: weareros on April 09, 2021, 08:05:29 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on April 09, 2021, 07:10:14 PM

Indeed. In fact, there was a little footnote when UK released their January 2021 results, where exports to Ireland (South) were down 65%, which was all Brexit. It stated: Data for Northern Ireland to EU exports are still being collected through Intrastat.

So they were not in the UK #s.

What we do know from Ireland South's numbers is that imports from North to South increased 177 million euros from 161 million euros in the same time period. Without the Protocol, that would not have been possible, as the North would have faced the same difficulties exporting to a EU market like Ireland South, as rest of UK did. The rest of UK represented a 1 billion Sterling decline in their exports just to Ireland alone in January. A similar result for NI would have seen a 104 million loss. Instead they gained. That's one side of the best of both worlds. We'll have to see how exports to rest of UK fared to see the other side.

Of course don't expert to hear this from any Unionist politician.

You hear it much from anyone. The useless journalists interviewing the DUP and their rioters should put this data to them, but they never do.

seafoid

Loyalists don't care about trade figures. They are going nuts because Johnson shafted Unionism and the Taigs are winning.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

weareros

Quote from: seafoid on April 10, 2021, 07:08:30 AM
Loyalists don't care about trade figures. They are going nuts because Johnson shafted Unionism and the Taigs are winning.

True. It's the constitutional shift. They did not get the Brexit that GB did and effectively remain in EU. But it won't stop them running stories that the Protocol is bad economically when so far it has protected them from some of the worst effects of Brexit. But if they can't order their orange lillies from English garden centres, it's end of world. Even though they were easily sourced from Holland, a more natural origin anyway.

imtommygunn

There is also a school of thought that they can no longer get their drugs in as handily...

I don't think their loyalty is to who they claim it to be in a large number of cases.

armaghniac

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 10, 2021, 07:53:59 PM

There is also a school of thought that they can no longer get their drugs in as handily...

I don't think their loyalty is to who they claim it to be in a large number of cases.

This drugs story is a bit weak, sure every other part of Ireland is full of drugs.

Jell 0 Biafra

Why would that make the story weak? 

imtommygunn

Nothing would surprise me with those loyalist paramilitaries these days. They are absolutely wrecking their own communities and this last week has put a magnifying glass on it. That being said I imagine it is a bit far fetched too. They would thrive on division and the sea border is probably good ammunition for recruitment.

HiMucker

::)There was a 41kg of coke seized in Milford Donegal a few weeks back. As well a countless other smaller  seizures of late. The UDA get the bulk of their drugs from Dublin, and they are definitely feeling the pinch. The pandemic has made it harder to bring drugs northwards.

Orior

Jesus wept. Here is the wonderfully clever Eilis explaining to everyone that it's all the big bad EU's fault.

https://twitter.com/dgmoore75/status/1381216024004026369

Worse, all the other idiots weighing in behind her, giving her credance and massaging her ego.

Shameful.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

grounded

Quote from: Orior on April 11, 2021, 09:46:36 PM
Jesus wept. Here is the wonderfully clever Eilis explaining to everyone that it's all the big bad EU's fault.

https://twitter.com/dgmoore75/status/1381216024004026369

Worse, all the other idiots weighing in behind her, giving her credance and massaging her ego.

Shameful.

https://m.independent.ie/opinion/comment/moving-the-goalposts-on-irish-unity-now-is-moral-cowardice-40272586.html

She obviously got her wings clipped after the piece above...
       Sent to the Sindo's re-education centre.