Spooky Dublin - Yellow Lights - Unhired Taxis

Started by Aaron Boone, February 19, 2011, 01:54:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron Boone

Was on O'Connell St Dublin earlier 2nite folks, the normal plenty of pedestrians & party-goers as you'd expect, but wow the number of taxis was huge beyond any necessity it appeared right then. Yellow-light on the roof after yellow-light after yellow-light........

To anyone, it just gets spooky in the end as the nominated ranks were full with yellow lights all-round & the many many unhired taxis just cruised around & around.

Surely Lonely Planet or another guide-book will pick up this, if not already?

mc_grens

Quote from: Aaron Boone on February 19, 2011, 01:54:00 AM
Was on O'Connell St Dublin earlier 2nite folks, the normal plenty of pedestrians & party-goers as you'd expect, but wow the number of taxis was huge beyond any necessity it appeared right then. Yellow-light on the roof after yellow-light after yellow-light........

To anyone, it just gets spooky in the end as the nominated ranks were full with yellow lights all-round & the many many unhired taxis just cruised around & around.

Surely Lonely Planet or another guide-book will pick up this, if not already?

Highly preferable to the bad old days of standing shivering for 2 hours in the wee small hours waiting for a cab to arrive at an empty rank with a mile-long queue.

Rois

Was in a restaurant on Parnell Sq - stepped out and got taxi.

Went to Doheny & Nesbitt's - stepped out and got taxi.

Def no complaints.

gallsman

Quote from: Rois on February 19, 2011, 10:15:41 AM

Def no complaints.

Misnomer?

gallsman

I have zero sympathy for the taxi drivers of Dublin complaining about deregulation and the number of licenses handed out. Their fares are extortionate.

armaghniac

QuoteIts great that you can now get a taxi in Dublin when you need it, its just a pity they cant do something about the standard of car used.

They've brought in the 9 year rule, so the older crocks will disappear as their licence renewal date comes around. Mind you this is a rather simplistic measure, a well kept  12 year old Merc might make a lovely taxi.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Denn Forever

Quote from: gallsman on February 19, 2011, 01:59:58 PM

Def no complaints.

Misnomer?

Rois obviously dines well.

http://www.chapteronerestaurant.com/
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Rois

muppet

Quote from: Denn Forever on February 19, 2011, 02:32:58 PM
Quote from: gallsman on February 19, 2011, 01:59:58 PM

Def no complaints.

Misnomer?

Rois obviously dines well.

http://www.chapteronerestaurant.com/

That rules you out Denn, she won't like Ababrakebabra!
MWWSI 2017

gallsman

Ah, it's on the square! Eddie Rocket's is the best you'll get on Parnell Street!

Rois

I said Parnell Sq and you even highlighted it !

You brought Parnell St into it yourself.

All of a Sludden

Quote from: armaghniac on February 19, 2011, 02:11:33 PM
QuoteIts great that you can now get a taxi in Dublin when you need it, its just a pity they cant do something about the standard of car used.

They've brought in the 9 year rule, so the older crocks will disappear as their licence renewal date comes around. Mind you this is a rather simplistic measure, a well kept  12 year old Merc might make a lovely taxi.

They are talking about getting rid of the 9 year rule now in favour of a tougher NCT. I think there should be a 5 year rule if they are going to charge the current rates.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.