Corcaigh v Muineachán - Páirc Uí Chaoimh - 27/02/11

Started by Maguire01, February 21, 2011, 07:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris agus Snoop

Heard it on the radio, seemed a good open game. Commentator was impressed with monaghan, said a lot of other ulster counties folded early with they had to come to cork.
P o' neill scored 4 from play he scored 3 last week, his place was under pressure but i can't see him being dropped now.

marym

Pearse and Cadogan were immense. Both look fierce fit. Also new guy Denis O Sulllivan very good. Monaghan very good too.

Mid Mon

Quote from: Chris agus Snoop on February 27, 2011, 07:44:33 PM
Heard it on the radio, seemed a good open game. Commentator was impressed with monaghan, said a lot of other ulster counties folded early with they had to come to cork.
P o' neill scored 4 from play he scored 3 last week, his place was under pressure but i can't see him being dropped now.

I thought he got five from play

Main Street

I heard it on Cork radio as well, C103?
Yes it was a curious experience to listen to 2 langers purring non-stop about the greatness of their team and how they were really could up the ante at anytime.
In the end they paid tribute to Monaghan for their competitiveness, as opposed to a long list of northern teams who came down to Cork and meekly surrendered, belly-up.
But he included a previous visit of Monaghan in the list :)

donelli

Just home now. long journey (few stops on way home  ;D) but good effort put in by the players to put it up to the AI champions.
we played really well in the 2nd half and may have got something except for the fact we failed to hit points at the correct time...similar to last week.
monaghans conceeded goal was poor and very similar to the goal armagh got last week. cork were much the better team inthe 1st half. keough pulled off 2 great saves to deny cork having the game wrapped up at half time.
monaghan needed benny mckenna off at ht to provide some mobility in the middle. his replacement owen lennon was immense. his clubmate eoin duffy got a screamer of a goal in the 1st half.
player perfomances i can think of from monaghan:
keough was good again.
dessie moen was again one of our better players.
harps man hughes improved on last weeks performance, while ciaran hughes was not up to his earlier season standards.
darren hughes was sound.
dick got 2 late points but will be disapointed with his showing.
mcmanus took a while to get into the game but was good when he found form. jap was poor and probably should have been taken off a lot earlier.
mcguinness also impressed.

if we can play like this in the coming weeks, we should survive but now that we are being dragged into the relagation zone it will become harder to retain top division status.

Tatler Jack

QuoteYes it was a curious experience to listen to 2 langers purring non-stop about the greatness of their team and how they were really could up the ante at anytime.

The main commentator is from Kerry - Paudie Palmer!!!

Cork were the better team in the first half -it was obvious that they were working on trying to score more goals and had they taken points would have gone inat h/t 7 or 8 ahead. Monaghan won a lot more breaking ball around midfield in the second half but never really put Cork under sustained pressure. When the margin came down to 2 points with 5 or 6 minutes to go Cork lifted their game and quickly stretched it to 4. Some good individual performances from Monagahan players particualrly FB andCHB and I thought Clerkin had a very good second hald while corner forward (13) gave Shields a lot of trouble in the first half.

Overall an entertaining game - pity it was not in Pairc Ui RInn as there would have been a better atmosphere.

Chris agus Snoop

Quote from: Main Street on February 27, 2011, 11:26:11 PM
I heard it on Cork radio as well, C103?
Yes it was a curious experience to listen to 2 langers purring non-stop about the greatness of their team and how they were really could up the ante at anytime.
In the end they paid tribute to Monaghan for their competitiveness, as opposed to a long list of northern teams who came down to Cork and meekly surrendered, belly-up.
But he included a previous visit of Monaghan in the list :)

"2 langers purring"
curious image   :o

Main Street

Quote from: Tatler Jack on February 28, 2011, 08:20:02 AM
QuoteYes it was a curious experience to listen to 2 langers purring non-stop about the greatness of their team and how they were really could up the ante at anytime.

The main commentator is from Kerry - Paudie Palmer!!!
Obviously Paudie has come out of the closet and adopted Cork ways and mannerisms so well, as to be indistinguishable from the real thing.

Quote from: donelli on February 27, 2011, 11:32:30 PM
his replacement owen lennon was immense.
Good to hear that Lennon is back match fit. The Cork commentators were suitably impressed with him.

Tatler Jack

QuoteObviously Paudie has come out of the closet and adopted Cork ways and mannerisms so well, as to be indistinguishable from the real thing.

Well he is from around Templenoe so the adaptation process is not too difficult. However if you hear him when Cork and Kerry teams are playing you will have no doubt where his loyalties lie!!

Yes Lennon made a big impression - Mone at CHB was the best Monaghan player in my opinion - looked a natural CHB

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Tatler Jack on February 28, 2011, 12:07:18 PM
Yes Lennon made a big impression - Mone at CHB was the best Monaghan player in my opinion - looked a natural CHB

Ayh, he's very experienced in that position as that's his club position. We need someone there as Gary McQuaid is most likely retired, who was our CHB for the past few years. Good to hear Lennon done well, he's had a rough oul time of it with injuries.

Main Street

We are not too bad for players in the CHB position , Dessie Mone, D Freeman and Vinny Corey.

Good to get objective positive feedback on Dessie Mone's ability from real football people outside Monaghan ;D
You wouldn't get that generosity of spirit from the Kerry poster here.
I'm revising my prejudices and considering to switch my allegiance from Kerry to Cork.

Maguire01

Decent enough game yesterday. Not one that we really expected to pick up points in but we could have come out of it with something with a bit of luck. McManus had a great goal chance in the first half but put it just wide after doing all the hard work. Then Downey's screamer of a shot that came off the crossbar close to the end - if it had gone under it would have been goal of the year!

Owen Duffy looking good, as is Turley. Darren Hughes was brilliant again at full back and whilst i'd love to see him out the field, he's a real anchor at #3. Dessie Mone had another good game as well - he seems a lot more disciplined than previously. I can't see anyone getting the #1 shirt of Keogh either - a few very dodgy kickouts (although there was a strong wind), but he made a couple of great saves that could otherwise have killed off the game.

Clerkin and McManus blew hot and cold - some great play (including 2 nice points from Clerkin towards the end), but some not so great. I don't think Freeman got much sight of the ball at all when he came on. I'd like to see him get a bit more match time. Still not sure about McGuinness either.

Lastly, I don't know why that game was in Pairc Ui Chaoimh. Was there even 2,000 at it? No atmosphere and an absolute relic of a stadium.

marym

The big  problem with Sunday games in Cork is that it is a very big day on the local scene. All club games are going on as well. The under 21 Champsionship in football is going also as well as hundre of league games in both Hurling and Football at all levels. Last year the majority of games were played on Sat nite under lights in Pairc ui Rinn and they crowds were much bigger as there would not be as much going on.
Monaghan Co Board looked for a SUnday game as it cut down on the Costs. Down are coming on the Saturday night. T here has been a suggestion to move these games to Clonakilty in the heart of West Cork. Do not know how you feel about that?

Kerry Mike

QuoteGood to get objective positive feedback on Dessie Mone's ability from real football people outside Monaghan
You wouldn't get that generosity of spirit from the Kerry poster here

Dessie is a grand lad really...
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Main Street

Vacant valueless statements don't gain any credits here.

How about 'Dessie is a decent defender who plays the ball and any contact with an opponents body part, is purely incidental'?