26 County General Election 2020

Started by Snapchap, January 09, 2020, 06:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What will be makeup of the next government?

FF/SD/Lab/Green
FG/SD/Lab/Green
FG/FF
FF/Green
FG/Independents
FG/Independents
FG/Green
FF/SF
FF/Green/Independents
FF Minority
FG Minority
FG/SF
FF/Lab/Green
FF/Lab
FF/Lab/Green/Independents

five points

Quote from: seafoid on January 16, 2020, 01:48:58 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on January 16, 2020, 12:25:41 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 16, 2020, 11:14:53 AM
5% of people own 40% of everything.

If that is true, that is relatively progressive compared to some other places!

For contrast, in the USA, 1% of people own 40% of everything.
95% of people own 60% of everything VS 99% OF people own 60% of everything. Not much of  difference
It's all going to collapse.

The statistics are misleading.

The CSO figures state that 21% of the Irish population in 2018 was under 14 years old. They own nothing. Another 12% was between 15 and 24. Very few of them own anything.

So already 33% own nothing and the remaining 67% own everything.

Only 38% of Irish people are aged over 44. Most people don't have their mortgages paid off by age 44. That's 62% of the population.

RadioGAAGAA

95% of people own 60% of everything VS 99% OF people own 60% of everything. Not much of  difference

Its actually quite a large difference.

In the US, 5% of people own ~65% of everything.

Unless you think that ~25% wealth difference for that 4%of people in Ireland is insignificant?

Now, is it fair? Nope.
Does it need better distribution? Yep.
Are executives paid too much given their abilities? Absolutely.
i usse an speelchekor

seafoid

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on January 16, 2020, 03:59:59 PM

Its actually quite a large difference.

In the US, 5% of people own ~65% of everything.

Unless you think that ~25% wealth difference for that 4%of people in Ireland is insignificant?

Now, is it fair? Nope.
Does it need better distribution? Yep.
Are executives paid too much given their abilities? Absolutely.
It's one of the reasons RTÉ is in trouble
Demand is about the 100%
It's just not sustainable.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

thejuice

Anyone know if Irish citizens abroad can do a postal vote. I've lived in England since 2003. Not entirely clear on the websites I've read but I'm sure you used to be able to do this.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Tatler Jack

Quote from: thejuice on January 18, 2020, 09:15:02 PM
Anyone know if Irish citizens abroad can do a postal vote. I've lived in England since 2003. Not entirely clear on the websites I've read but I'm sure you used to be able to do this.

No. Irish people abroad cannot vote in elections unless they are registered to vote in Ireland and return to vote. There is no provision for postal voting.

Ambrose

Quote from: Tatler Jack on January 18, 2020, 09:22:54 PM
Quote from: thejuice on January 18, 2020, 09:15:02 PM

No. Irish people abroad cannot vote in elections unless they are registered to vote in Ireland and return to vote. There is no provision for postal voting.

Most voters have to vote in person at an official voting centre. However, you may be eligible for a postal vote if you are:

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/elections_and_referenda/voting/registering_to_vote.html
You can't live off history and tradition forever

trailer

Anyone know any company's who could erect a tent at the Galway races for hospitality purposes?

Sportacus

My picture from the outside looking in is that Leo is generally good on EU, has got NI up and running again and has a logical view on how we move towards unity, and the economy is growing strongly, so tell me, what is at the heart of the election: homelessness; inequality; public services?

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Sportacus on January 19, 2020, 11:30:57 AM
My picture from the outside looking in is that Leo is generally good on EU, has got NI up and running again and has a logical view on how we move towards unity, and the economy is growing strongly, so tell me, what is at the heart of the election: homelessness; inequality; public services?
Housing
Health
Childcare costs
Insurance costs
Jobs outside Dublin

Sportacus

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Sportacus on January 19, 2020, 11:53:23 AM
And gangs?
Yeah. Has really come into focus this week.
All fueled by citizens putting white stuff up their noses

yellowcard

Latest poll which is the first carried out since December:

FF....................32%................+5
FG...................20%.................-7
SF...................19%..................-1
Green.............7%...................+1
Labour............4%...................-2
Ind Alliance.....3%...................+1
Other...............15%..................+3

That is some drop off for FG in the space of a month, their campaign has got off to a disastrous start. The Black and Tans episode, the homeless man getting hit by a forklift in a tent and the Drogheda feud will all have played a part. This particular government have relied a lot on spin doctoring and PR but people are starting to see through the bull and are judging them on their actual record on health, homelessness and crime which is brutal. I'm not surprised that FF are ahead in the polls but I am surprised at just how far because it is not down to Micheal Martin's leadership or direction but simply because FG have shot themselves in the foot and FF are seen as the only other viable alternative. Are people ready for another FF led government, it would be some form of redemption long before many people would have anticipated it a few years back. 

Both parties have already ruled out government with SF so really SF are just playing for how many seats they can gain whilst the continued decline of the Labour party is the other big talking point. 

Rossfan

I think that poll was done before the GE was called around the time of the RIC nonsense.
Hard to see the Shinners getting that percentage in a real election.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

marty34

Quote from: yellowcard on January 19, 2020, 01:27:03 PM
Latest poll which is the first carried out since December:

FF....................32%................+5
FG...................20%.................-7
SF...................19%..................-1
Green.............7%...................+1
Labour............4%...................-2
Ind Alliance.....3%...................+1
Other...............15%..................+3

That is some drop off for FG in the space of a month, their campaign has got off to a disastrous start. The Black and Tans episode, the homeless man getting hit by a forklift in a tent and the Drogheda feud will all have played a part. This particular government have relied a lot on spin doctoring and PR but people are starting to see through the bull and are judging them on their actual record on health, homelessness and crime which is brutal. I'm not surprised that FF are ahead in the polls but I am surprised at just how far because it is not down to Micheal Martin's leadership or direction but simply because FG have shot themselves in the foot and FF are seen as the only other viable alternative. Are people ready for another FF led government, it would be some form of redemption long before many people would have anticipated it a few years back. 

Both parties have already ruled out government with SF so really SF are just playing for how many seats they can gain whilst the continued decline of the Labour party is the other big talking point.

What's the difference between FF/FG - same side of the same coin in terms of policies.

Homelessness - FG/FF mess.
Health- FG/FF mess.
Gangland warfare - FG/FF mess.
No policy on the environment - FG/FG mess.

Can't get any worse...oh, let's commemorate the Black & Tans!!!

Keep adding to the list.