Hurling Championship 2019

Started by seafoid, May 08, 2019, 04:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

O'Donoghue steps down in Galway
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

bogieman

They weren't points going by the views available on TV, and the physical dimensions of the bar, the slitoar, and how far back a man's arm, wrist and hand can bend backwards. Then we have the claimed 3.6mm hawkeye accuracy, but this claim is only verified for tennis courts with a fluffy 67mm diameter ball.

It's too detailed to go into the size of a gaelic pitch, the position of the cameras, their field of view, and the actual resolution of the image pixels, but needless to say it wouldn't be good marketing for Sony.

Then we can go onto the statistical error introduced with the vibration of the cameras when the stands have thousands of fans in them, they can't be assumed to be rock solid...

It's oblivious that SĂșil an tSeabhaic was not properly calibrated for this; the gaa pays thousands of yoyos for each game that uses hawkeye for their technicians, they nor certainty not Steve Carter will admit this calibration issue. Next year we will see the graphics when it's sorted out properly... But we may not know the inherent errors.

I'm a fan of this technology, but I would like to know the limitations, the value of CV for different ball positions.

Ps. By rule, the sliotar diameter is 70.5 +/-1.5mm, the crossbar when round should be 125 +5mm, and lines should be 90 +/-13mm wide.
Boundary lines form the field of play, and the intersections shall have a flag, which is also included in the play rules.

To clarify;
A. the whole of the ball must be over the whole of the line to be a goal - not currently assessed by hawkeye, for a few dollars more...
B. the whole of the ball must be over the whole of the crossbar to be a point
C. If the ball touches a flag during play, it's a line ball.

So Croke park has a few issues to sort between their gaa rules, and their implementation, namely;
The crossbars diameter are not the correct dimension
The flags are placed in the incorrect position
Specific detail of the resolution and calibration of hawkeye needs to be released for the Croke park installation.

Pss. It has to be accepted before any sensible argument starts that hawkeye is not infallible, there are scientific and technical limitations, notwithstanding the human error. The technical detail has not been released for a reason, eluded to above...

Psss. Hawkeye only needs to "see" a fraction of the ball to work out its center free space co-ordinate position when it has the correct ball diameter parameter, so to validate a point, has the score area "vertical plane" been calibrated for a 90 or a 125 mm crossbar, or calibrated accurately at all, my opinion is the latter because up till now, the only controversies being the whole of the ball inside the posts...

Pssss I wonder if they have taken account of the 2.4 +/-0.4mm rib on the sliothar

This is not Irish dancing. -RH

Main Street

With all thisKilkenny talk about manliness in hurling,  Kilkenny are still whining like hungry piglets about the red card decision. Can't they lose a game in a manly fashion?

Tipp already demonstrated they could win after going a man down and overturn a 5 point deficet in the doing.

johnnycool

Quote from: Main Street on August 21, 2019, 10:02:11 PM
With all thisKilkenny talk about manliness in hurling,  Kilkenny are still whining like hungry piglets about the red card decision. Can't they lose a game in a manly fashion?

Tipp already demonstrated they could win after going a man down and overturn a 5 point deficet in the doing.

I'm not sure what grounds they can appeal on.

We all know an infraction occurred, they can't deny that it didn't and it was to the head area.

A bit like Caolan Mooney earlier in the year.

NAG1

Quote from: johnnycool on August 22, 2019, 09:33:45 AM
Quote from: Main Street on August 21, 2019, 10:02:11 PM

I'm not sure what grounds they can appeal on.

We all know an infraction occurred, they can't deny that it didn't and it was to the head area.

A bit like Caolan Mooney earlier in the year.

AFAIK you can appeal any red card, just smacks of really poor form for them to do so. Knowing that in all likelihood Hogan wont be back for championship next year so therefore any ban would be pointless anyway.

Just let it slide and use it for internal motivation for next year, but for them do so is a bit of a reflection of Cody himself.

seafoid

It's poor form but KK have form in this area with Eddie Keher a few years ago talking about cards being a soccer invention and embarrassing players in front of their families
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Dunsilly King

Kilkenny set to appeal Hogan red card
August 22, 2019

Kilkenny's Richie Hogan is sent off by referee James Owens
Kilkenny county board are set to launch an appeal against the red card picked up by Richie Hogan in last Sunday's All-Ireland SHC final.
The Irish Independent reports today that the board are "believed to be lining up an appeal" against the red card that Hogan received on the eve of half-time after a challenge on Tipperary's Cathal Barrett.
The sending-off carries a one-match suspension which would see the 31-year-old missing the Cats' 2020 Leinster championship opener.
Manager Brian Cody said after Sunday's final defeat to the Premier men that he was "amazed" by referee James Owens' decision to issue a red card for the challenge and it understood that the Kilkenny board and Hogan have discussed the matter informally.

Like wtf, appalling

Milltown Row2

1990 hurling final on at 2pm today! Cracking game! Was in the Hill that day!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

One of my favourite hurlers Shane Dowling has retired from county hurling due to injury..

This first goal shows you has pure class

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GNKdxLmRv_c
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

So skillfull. Always wondered why he didn't start more but the knees explain it. I thought he was way more than 27.

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 03, 2020, 07:08:25 AM
So skillfull. Always wondered why he didn't start more but the knees explain it. I thought he was way more than 27.

Scored a brilliant goal for NaPairsigh vrs Sniel, stole the ball off the keeper, flicked it over a defenders head and volleyed it straight into the net..

Those things can't be coached.

marty34

Quote from: johnnycool on July 03, 2020, 09:37:17 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 03, 2020, 07:08:25 AM

Scored a brilliant goal for NaPairsigh vrs Sniel, stole the ball off the keeper, flicked it over a defenders head and volleyed it straight into the net..

Those things can't be coached.

The goal V Kilkenny in last years AISF was unreal also.

The thinking to bat it into the very bottom from about 15 yeards out was unreal.  How did he even think about it? A defender was in front of the keeper and the speed and accuracy was fantastic.

The high knees celebration afterwards was great also.

A man to light up any hurling pitch.  Serious talent who seemed to be around forever and a day.

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 03, 2020, 12:08:31 AM
One of my favourite hurlers Shane Dowling has retired from county hurling due to injury..

This first goal shows you has pure class

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GNKdxLmRv_c
So good that he won the celtic cross. So many top class players never do.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU