The Official World Cup 2018 Thread

Started by Ball Hopper, November 16, 2017, 05:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

There's a 'reasonable chance' that Russia beats Spain? Have we been watching a different tournament, Sid?

Boycey

longballin

Argentina getting run over here. Messi double marked and not getting an inch... 1986 no team could double or treble marked Maradonna. That's not to be disparaging to Messi a class player but is comment on how remarkable a player Maradonna was.

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

ziggy90

Quote from: sid waddell on June 30, 2018, 12:42:43 AM
France v Argentina: France should win this at a canter, but I don't trust them - the Aussies and Peru troubled them. Argentina are so shapeless that I think France will get there, but on a narrow scoreline, maybe 2-1.

Uruguay v Portugal: 0-0 and penalties. Uruguay to win that with it not reaching the final Portuguese penalty.

Spain v Russia: Think there's a reasonable chance of a shock here. Spain have looked less impressive by the game and the departure of their manager may be beginning to show. I'll go with Russia to win on penalties after a 1-1 draw.

Crotia v Denmark: Croatia have been impressive so far, but I sense a shock here. The Danes are dogged and organised, have not yet conceded a goal from play, and have Christian Eriksen. 1-0 to Denmark.

Brazil v Mexico: I suspect Mexico have shot their load and Brazil will brush them aside. 3-0.

Belgium v Japan: Workmanlike victory for Belgium. 2-0.

Sweden v Switzerland: Sweden have wreaked a trail of destruction, beating France in qualification and eliminating Italy and Germany. I think this may be as far as they go. They'll meet a team who are every bit as organised as they are, and have a touch more class. 1-0 to the Swiss.

Colombia v England: I think this could be a classic in the vein of Argentina v England 1998. Fascinating clash of styles. I expect England to have trouble with Colombia's passing style and I'd be very surprised if they don't concede. But in turn I expect Colombia to have a lot of problems with England's physicality. 2-2. England to finally slay their penalties bogey.

Which would leave the quarter-finals as:
Uruguay v France
Brazil v Belgium
Russia v Denmark
Switzerland v England

That's a very good analysis Sid. Whether you're right remains to be seen but you've had a go. I do think however that Croatia will beat Denmark and I rate Modric over Eriksen.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Jell 0 Biafra

Syferus

Quote from: gallsman on June 29, 2018, 09:26:59 PM
Di Maria has been poor at all levels since the 2014 WC. He looked good against Nigeria for about ten mins and then was just a mess. The suggestion is that with Messi and mascherano effectively running the team, dybala doesn't get in as he encroaches too much on Messi's space. He's a second striker or a false nine, not a creative midfielder or a winger. Higuaín is an excellent goalscorer but goes missing in big games too often for it to be clichéd to suggest he bottles it. Has missed huge cheers to win Argentina the WC and a Copa America. Their biggest mistake (ignoring politics and personality clashes) has been leaving Icardi behind.

Banega will play every minute from now on. Long overdue creativity. Biglia isn't great but he should play ahead of mascherano for the legs if nothing else. The defence is just appalling.

What a moment to go after him.

Syferus

longballin

Cunny Funt

Great game with great goals hard to call a winner in this game.

longballin

Set up for a Messi special? Icing on the cake

Syferus

Mbappe might actually be worth all that money.

Cunny Funt

4-2 France that should be it. Messi overshadowed by Mbappe.

Syferus

That was a gorgeous pass by Pogba.