The Official World Cup 2018 Thread

Started by Ball Hopper, November 16, 2017, 05:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: AQMP on June 29, 2018, 01:39:57 PM
One of England, Colombia, Sweden or Switzerland will be in a WC semi final.  I'd say they all think they have a great chance of doing that.  England haven't been seriously tested yet.  Panama were the weakest team in the competition by a distance (apart from Germany ;)) and they stumbled past Tunisia.  They could chin Colombia or get humped 3-0. 

The competition is still wide open.  I haven't seen an outstanding team yet.  Croatia probably the best so far.

Is it Croatia or Serbia your man Legolas plays for?

trueblue1234

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 29, 2018, 01:42:18 PM
Quote from: AQMP on June 29, 2018, 01:39:57 PM
One of England, Colombia, Sweden or Switzerland will be in a WC semi final.  I'd say they all think they have a great chance of doing that.  England haven't been seriously tested yet.  Panama were the weakest team in the competition by a distance (apart from Germany ;)) and they stumbled past Tunisia.  They could chin Colombia or get humped 3-0. 

The competition is still wide open.  I haven't seen an outstanding team yet.  Croatia probably the best so far.

Is it Croatia or Serbia your man Legolas plays for?

Mirkwood
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Jeepers Creepers

All that aside, some cracking games lined up for the first knockout stage.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on June 29, 2018, 01:46:38 PM

It's hard to see a game I'm not looking forward to in fairness. France Argentina will be a contest to see which of them can actually start performing like they should be able to, Uruguay Portugal might be very defensive, but intriguing, Spain Russia should be very open, Croatia Denmark will be very interesting, Brazil Mexico should be open and entertaining, Belgium Japan the same, Sweden Switzerland should be sneaky good. Two teams that wouldn't get your pulse racing, but they should be a good match and Switzerland impressed me a bit more than i thought they would. And then of course Colombia v England. I hope Rodriguez is able to go, but it's probably unlikely.

johnnycool

Saturday June 30
3pm: France v Argentina, Kazan
7pm: Uruguay v Portugal, Sochi

Sunday July 1
3pm: Spain v Russia, Moscow
7pm: Croatia v Denmark, Nizhny Novgorod

Monday July 2
3pm: Brazil v Mexico, Samara
7pm: Belgium v Japan, Rostov-on-Don

Tuesday July 3
3pm: Sweden v Switzerland, Saint Petersburg
7pm: Colombia v England, Moscow

What odds on some dodgy referee/VAR decisions on Sunday in Moscow?

ardtole

Was thinking the same myself jc. Spain have been relatively poor and I can definitely see the Russians getting the benefit of the doubt. Worth a small bet anyway.

pbat

Take Harry Kane out and they are very average. If they somehow make the Semi's Harry will meet the same fate as Salah in the championships league final while Sergio looks on innocently.

AQMP

Quote from: johnnycool on June 29, 2018, 02:41:07 PM

Saturday June 30

I've no skin in either game but I can't help thinking that Argentina v Uruguay would be a tasty quarter final

AZOffaly

Quote from: pbat on June 29, 2018, 03:08:09 PM
Take Harry Kane out and they are very average. If they somehow make the Semi's Harry will meet the same fate as Salah in the championships league final while Sergio looks on innocently.

Even Harry Kane hasn't been pulling up trees so far. I know he's scored 5 goals, but 2 penalties, a tap in rebound and a deflection off his heel aren't exactly a lad flying. His second goal v Tunisia was great instinct alright.

That said, it's great to be getting goals like that, so he should be full of confidence.

seafoid

Quote from: AQMP on June 29, 2018, 03:08:50 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on June 29, 2018, 02:41:07 PM

Saturday June 30

I've no skin in either game but I can't help thinking that Argentina v Uruguay would be a tasty quarter final
The winner to receive the River Plate plate.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

gallsman

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 29, 2018, 01:59:20 PM

It's hard to see a game I'm not looking forward to in fairness. France Argentina will be a contest to see which of them can actually start performing like they should be able to, Uruguay Portugal might be very defensive, but intriguing, Spain Russia should be very open, Croatia Denmark will be very interesting, Brazil Mexico should be open and entertaining, Belgium Japan the same, Sweden Switzerland should be sneaky good. Two teams that wouldn't get your pulse racing, but they should be a good match and Switzerland impressed me a bit more than i thought they would. And then of course Colombia v England. I hope Rodriguez is able to go, but it's probably unlikely.

The problem is Argentina are performing at their level. They scraped through qualifying and only did so after Messi came back from retirement. The squad isn't good. At all. Mascherano playing centre mid is a terrible idea. All his inspirational, heart on the sleeve stuff is nothing if he's only making up for his own mistakes.

AZOffaly

Quote from: gallsman on June 29, 2018, 03:28:28 PM

The problem is Argentina are performing at their level. They scraped through qualifying and only did so after Messi came back from retirement. The squad isn't good. At all. Mascherano playing centre mid is a terrible idea. All his inspirational, heart on the sleeve stuff is nothing if he's only making up for his own mistakes.

That's true in a general sense, defensively they are a mess, but I don't think Higuain, Messi, Aguero, Di Maria have done as much in an attacking sense as you would expect. But yes, they may not have much more to go, you are right.

AQMP

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 29, 2018, 03:31:24 PM
Quote from: gallsman on June 29, 2018, 03:28:28 PM

That's true in a general sense, defensively they are a mess, but I don't think Higuain, Messi, Aguero, Di Maria have done as much in an attacking sense as you would expect. But yes, they may not have much more to go, you are right.

Tim Vickery, the BBC's South American football correspondent, was on the radio saying that Argentina's problems didn't surprise him.  They haven't played well since the last WC, domestic football is a mess and their academy system has broken down and they don't seem to be producing good young players.  Pavon and Meza, two players who still play in Argentina, have been tipped as the next big thing but they've looked a bit out of their depth at this level.

AQMP

Latest Odds from Ladbrokes (to win the World Cup - e/w 1/3 the odds if team gets to final):  England joint 3rd favourites though this may reflect where the money is going in UK.

Brazil  7/2
Spain  4/1
Belgium  7/1
England  7/1
France  8/1
Croatia  12/1
Argentina  14/1
Colombia  20/1
Portugal  20/1
Uruguay  20/1
Switzerland  40/1
Russia  50/1
Mexico  66/1
Sweden  66/1
Denmark  80/1
Japan  150/1

Syferus

Utterly insane that England have better odds than France.