Boycey

He'll play 3 at the back

Butland
       Walker-Maguire/Jones-Stones
Trippier                                 Young  :o
        Dier - Henderson - Ali
                 Sterling
                   Kane

On paper it looks a terrible squad but possibly they'll do better than much more heralded squads (could hardly do worse I suppose)

NAG1

Is that not 5 at the back Boycey  :o

trailer

Quote from: Insane Bolt on May 16, 2018, 03:05:11 PM
Quote from: AQMP on May 16, 2018, 02:29:21 PM
England final squad announced:

Goalkeepers:
Butland (Stoke), Pickford (Everton), Pope (Burnley)

Defenders:
Jones (Man Utd), Cahill (Chelsea), Walker (Man City), Trippier (Tottenham), Rose (Tottenham), Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Young (Man Utd), Stones (Man City), Maguire (Leicester)

Midfielders:
Dier (Tottenham), Henderson (Liverpool), Delph (Man City), Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea), Lingard (Man Utd), Alli (Tottenham)

Forwards:
Kane (Tottenham), Rashford (Man Utd), Vardy (Leicester), Sterling (Man City), Welbeck (Arsenal)

If all the above were on the transfer list, would there be much interest from the likes of Real Madrid or Barcelona?  Kane probably.....

You could say that about most international squads tbf.

Boycey

Quote from: NAG1 on May 16, 2018, 03:09:55 PM
Is that not 5 at the back Boycey  :o

I'd have called it 5 at the back alright but the current 'in' thing is to call it 3 at the back https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/oct/09/gareth-southgate-back-three-england-world-cup

AQMP

Quote from: Boycey on May 16, 2018, 03:05:40 PM
He'll play 3 at the back

Butland
        Dier - Henderson - Ali
                 Sterling
                   Kane

On paper it looks a terrible squad but possibly they'll do better than much more heralded squads (could hardly do worse I suppose)

Yep...on paper it doesn't look like a squad that will have other teams quaking in their boots, but they've a decent draw in the group and last 16 stage (will play the winner/runner up of the Poland/Senegal/Colombia/Japan group if they get through).  I detect the English media and supporters have less expectancy than other years so they may go without pressure.  Can't see them being anywhere near winning it though.

In other news Mario Gotze scorer of the winning goal in the 2014 final not selected for the German provisional squad of 28.

Gmac

oakleaflad

Quote from: AQMP on May 16, 2018, 03:40:44 PM
He'll play 3 at the back

Butland
        Dier - Henderson - Ali
                 Sterling
                   Kane

Yep...on paper it doesn't look like a squad that will have other teams quaking in their boots, but they've a decent draw in the group and last 16 stage (will play the winner/runner up of the Poland/Senegal/Colombia/Japan group if they get through). I detect the English media and supporters have less expectancy than other years so they may go without pressure.  Can't see them being anywhere near winning it though.

In other news Mario Gotze scorer of the winning goal in the 2014 final not selected for the German provisional squad of 28.
Until they make use of their relatively easy route to the quarter finals where the media will then explode with expectancy before the inevitable capitulation.

Gotze not making the Germany squad isn't surprising given his form since the diagnosis of his muscular disorder. It's a shame as he is very talented.

seafoid

He'll play 3 at the back

Butland
        Dier - Henderson - Ali
                 Sterling
                   Kane

Yep...on paper it doesn't look like a squad that will have other teams quaking in their boots, but they've a decent draw in the group and last 16 stage (will play the winner/runner up of the Poland/Senegal/Colombia/Japan group if they get through).  I detect the English media and supporters have less expectancy than other years so they may go without pressure.  Can't see them being anywhere near winning it though.

Big Sam got £9m for 6 months of work. The EPL is about money, not the game in England.
Until this changes England won't go anywhere in tournaments.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Taylor

Quote from: seafoid on May 16, 2018, 04:00:13 PM
He'll play 3 at the back

Butland
        Dier - Henderson - Ali
                 Sterling
                   Kane

Big Sam got £9m for 6 months of work. The EPL is about money, not the game in England.
Until this changes England won't go anywhere in tournaments.
[/quote

Hasnt done much harm to the Spanish national team though?

magpie seanie

He'll play 3 at the back

Butland
        Dier - Henderson - Ali
                 Sterling
                   Kane

That team looks shaky to me. Surely Walker is a full back? They're very short of CB's to play 5 at the back.....there's only 4 in the squad if I'm right.

Also if anything happens Dier and/or Henderson what's the plan then? Surely Milner should be in the squad at the expense of one of the full backs (TAA probably)? Think they're actually alright the other end. On top of Alli, Kane and Sterling they have Rashford and Lingard. They need to try and get those lads on the pitch. 4-2-3-1 possibly their best chance of using resources properly.

Butland

Trippier/Walker     Cahill      Jones       Rose/Young 

Dier              Henderson

Sterling                   Alli/Lingard           Rashford

Kane

I've not seen enough of Maguire and I don't rate Stones at all.

Agree with the comments that perversely the worst looking England squad on paper in my memory might actually do well.

blewuporstuffed

Milner is retired from international football.
He is probably the in form English midfielder at the minute too.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

AQMP

That England squad has scored 55 international goals in total.  Cristiano Ronaldo has 81, Messi has 61, Neymar has 53 and Lewandowski has 52.  It looks like it'll be the only squad with no players from outside its own league.

gawa316

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 16, 2018, 04:07:04 PM
He'll play 3 at the back

Butland
        Dier - Henderson - Ali
                 Sterling
                   Kane

That team looks shaky to me. Surely Walker is a full back? They're very short of CB's to play 5 at the back.....there's only 4 in the squad if I'm right.

Also if anything happens Dier and/or Henderson what's the plan then? Surely Milner should be in the squad at the expense of one of the full backs (TAA probably)? Think they're actually alright the other end. On top of Alli, Kane and Sterling they have Rashford and Lingard. They need to try and get those lads on the pitch. 4-2-3-1 possibly their best chance of using resources properly.

Butland

Kane

Agree with the comments that perversely the worst looking England squad on paper in my memory might actually do well.

Dier can also play center half.

Very light on center mids. In-spite of the injury record I thought Lallana would've been in there. He brings something different.

Can't say I watched a lot of England but haven't they being experimenting Walker and Gomez at the right side of a 3?

Quote from: gawa316 on May 16, 2018, 05:29:35 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on May 16, 2018, 04:07:04 PM
He'll play 3 at the back

Butland
        Dier - Henderson - Ali
                 Sterling
                   Kane

Butland

Kane

Dier can also play center half.

Very light on center mids. In-spite of the injury record I thought Lallana would've been in there. He brings something different.

Can't say I watched a lot of England but haven't they being experimenting Walker and Gomez at the right side of a 3?

No much better to select a striker who has scored 5 league goals all season, the other teams must be trembling with fear...
O'Neills Therapist