American Football, NFL, IAFL

Started by thejuice, March 18, 2007, 06:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

Anyone casting an eye over he up coming draft. Who would you prefer as a QB Jamarcus Russell or Brady Quinn. Even tho I follow the Irish I feel Russell is better, Quinn would be a work in progress QB, I cant see him starting in his 1st season. Russell has the potential to be a starter, i think.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

BallyhaiseMan

i think Russell is going to be a bust,
Teams seem to be enamored by the fact that he has an absolute cannon of an arm, They said the same thing about Ryan Leaf.
He has had weight problems as well, although he lost 9 pounds after the combine for his proday... what incentive will he have to keep that off when he signs a 8 year 80- million dollar contract or something like that,He Torched an atrocious Notre Dame D in the sugar bowl,Im not terribely  impressed to be honest.
Quinn is a hard one to call,you would have to wonder how much of his improvement in the last two years if down to Weis's offensive genius,There are concerns he cant win the big game(ala Peyton Manning in college and the NFL up to last February)...I think hes the safer pick.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quinn is a safer pick for sure - although I wouldn't be surprised if neither of these guys go #1

BallyhaiseMan

Calvin Johnston is the best player in this draft,The Guy is a Physical freak.Oakland should pick him,then trade for Someone like Trent Green/David Carr...That would allow them to get rid of Moss or/and Porter who have done very little in the last year but cause trouble.They would also get some extra picks to work on the offensive line.

thejuice

I wouldnt say either are no.1s. Im not sure if any player wants to end up in Oakland no matter what the money is.
Speaking of cannon arms, look at Michael Vick, great athelete, rocket arm that could break fingers but he's doing no-one not even himself any favours in Atlanta.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

BallyhaiseMan

Yep Oakland seems to be a talent killing place, Robert Gallery was supposed to be a cant miss player and the next Walter Jones.
Vick has been let down by his receivers in the past no doubt...
He has Joe Horn this year,If theres not a serious improvement,I think Atlanta are ready to give up on him and turn to Matt Schaub.

thejuice

I think they let matt Schuab go in Free Agency if im not mistaken. And patrick Kerney  ???  Hopefully John Abraham will be healthy next season.

Great Leap Forward

Quote from: thejuice on March 21, 2007, 01:59:01 PM
Anyone casting an eye over he up coming draft. Who would you prefer as a QB Jamarcus Russell or Brady Quinn. Even tho I follow the Irish I feel Russell is better, Quinn would be a work in progress QB, I cant see him starting in his 1st season. Russell has the potential to be a starter, i think.

Throwing a rookie QB into the NFL is a gamble. Some of the very best have struggled in their first season.

The physicality of the big league can get to them plus some struggle to digest their new teams playbook. If either of these guys end up being the first overall pick the pressure will be even more intense.

BallyhaiseMan

They Let Matt Schaub go  :o
damn,some team will get a super QB there.
Patrick Kerney went to Seattle didnt he? good signing for the Seahawks.
From Atlanta point of view, its a shame they couldnt have kept both him and Abraham fit and under contract,That would have been a formidable defensive end duo.

heganboy

i would be surprised if a QB goes #1 this draft. I think Quinn will be a better long term investment for a team, strong, works his ass off (benched more than any other back in the proday) He will be a solid reliable Pro. Russell on the other hand is a much more gifted athlete, the problem is his attitude, and that scares the bejaysus out of the drafting guys. Johnston may not go #1 either
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

BallyhaiseMan

Joe Thomas the Tackle from Wisconsin? or Adrian Peterson?
I think Oakland might be wary from taking another supposed "cant miss tackle" so high.

thejuice

I stand corrected, Schuab hasnt gone, but his contract has expired.  :-[

While I wouldnt ever recommend having a rookie start at QB some times it happens, just like last season, (Vince Young). Or by the end of the season they are getting a few games. Its hard to guess who goes no.1, Would the Raiders be better off trading down and getting a couple of first rounders instead. They have too many gaps to fill right now.

BallyhaiseMan

I think they would be better to trade down yes,
Maybe get an extra 2nd this year and another first next year and a few lower picks.
They wouldnt even have to drop that far to get this.
probably to #5 or 6

thejuice

Just read the Giants are offering  Eli Manning $5 million to stay in NY for another 3 seasons. Im not sure if he's of the calibre of his brother. But I guess the Giants are going in the right direction in the last few seasons, would like to see them do well. But they'll need a quality RB to replace Tiki.

Kevin

Jets fan here, but the talk on the street from my Giants friends at the end of the season was that they are losing patience with the Manning experience.

All I can say is that I don't feel confident against anyone with him 'leading' the team.