2018 NFL Division 2

Started by tippabu, December 31, 2017, 11:54:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Syferus on April 02, 2018, 03:15:36 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on April 02, 2018, 02:41:26 PM
Quote from: Syferus on April 02, 2018, 02:30:00 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on April 02, 2018, 12:22:06 PM
Not sure how much you can read out of that Div 2 final yesterday? two sides that went out without any intensity in their play with goals galore scored many of which that wouldn't be conceded in a championship game. These two sides met only two weeks ago in arguably a more important game and no goal was scored.

4 point winning margin was probably about right when you go over the 70 plus mins played. 1st half Roscommon were the better side and a 1 point lead didn't do them justice while 2nd half they won it by 3 points when i thought it was fairly even. McVeety,Devaney,Mackey,Kilroy the best performers on the day i thought.

Conditions were much different to two weeks ago. There was actually much more of a nasty edge to this one than the Hyde match.

Clarke trampled Donie Smith in the first half and was a lucky boy not to get the line.

Didn't see it and one incident hardly gave the game a nasty edge. Yesterday had the look of two teams already promoted that threw the shackles off and went out to see who could win a shootout and not only was 8-28 scored but loads was missed also.

Wasn't the only incident.

Cavan played with 14 men behind the ball a lot of the time and with a dual sweeper system. We just cut them open continually. There was lots of instances of patient build up and no aimlessly kicking ball of to double marked players inside. It was a lesson in how to open up a massed defence on a good pitch (and on a good day) where pace can more easily tell. There was no shackles off approach to this game by Cavan.

There was also nothing unique in the way we defended yesterday versus most games the last two years either.
That wasn't a nasty game yesterday no matter how much you try to make it out that way. Well organized blanket defences don't concede 4-16 and it could have been 6-20 conceded. Roscommon defended way better in the Connacht final last year and drawn game v Mayo. A repeat of yesterdays defending will get Roscommon well beaten by Galway or Mayo in this years Connacht final and they won't win a round 4 tie either defending that way against a team likely from Div one.  So much to ponder for McStay and co between now and June.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 02, 2018, 04:09:07 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 02, 2018, 03:47:52 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on April 02, 2018, 02:22:27 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 02, 2018, 01:24:23 PM
Was it Madden who came on and wasted easy enough chances to get scores? Roscommon were the better team but Cavan never went away and could have won that. I hope I'm wrong but on yesterdays showing I don't think Cavan have enough quality in the forwards to beat Monaghan/Tyrone/Donegal. As for Roscommon they'll be ready to peak for the Connacht final like last year although they won't catch their opponent so cold like they did last year.

Mayo people said the same about Galway last year. Mao put the defeat in 2016 down to complacency, which turned out to be disrespectful to Galway and they got their comeuppance for believing this in going into the 2017 game.

I see your point but I think the circumstances were different, mine more aimed at how poor Galway were during the opening 15 minutes.

It's all perspective. Ask any Mayo fan and they would say Mayo were poor for periods of their game v Galway in 2016 and 2017. Maybe they were but part of the reason for this was down to Galway. Maybe you are not giving the Rossie credit?

Roscommon were fantastic and nobody could argue otherwise, Galway like the Tipp & Kerry games had periods in the match where they were simply dreadful.

Syferus

Quote from: Cunny Funt on April 02, 2018, 04:12:42 PM
Not sure how much you can read out of that Div 2 final yesterday? two sides that went out without any intensity in their play with goals galore scored many of which that wouldn't be conceded in a championship game. These two sides met only two weeks ago in arguably a more important game and no goal was scored.

4 point winning margin was probably about right when you go over the 70 plus mins played. 1st half Roscommon were the better side and a 1 point lead didn't do them justice while 2nd half they won it by 3 points when i thought it was fairly even. McVeety,Devaney,Mackey,Kilroy the best performers on the day i thought.

Conditions were much different to two weeks ago. There was actually much more of a nasty edge to this one than the Hyde match.

Clarke trampled Donie Smith in the first half and was a lucky boy not to get the line.

Didn't see it and one incident hardly gave the game a nasty edge. Yesterday had the look of two teams already promoted that threw the shackles off and went out to see who could win a shootout and not only was 8-28 scored but loads was missed also.

Cavan played with 14 men behind the ball a lot of the time and with a dual sweeper system. We just cut them open continually. There was lots of instances of patient build up and no aimlessly kicking ball of to double marked players inside. It was a lesson in how to open up a massed defence on a good pitch (and on a good day) where pace can more easily tell. There was no shackles off approach to this game by Cavan.

There was also nothing unique in the way we defended yesterday versus most games the last two years either.
That wasn't a nasty game yesterday no matter how much you try to make it out that way. Well organized blanket defences don't concede 4-16 and it could have been 6-20 conceded. Roscommon defended way better in the Connacht final last year and drawn game v Mayo. A repeat of yesterdays defending will get Roscommon well beaten by Galway or Mayo in this years Connacht final and they won't win a round 4 tie either defending that way against a team likely from Div one.  So much to ponder for McStay and co between now and June.

Strange you'd quote me on trying to make out the game was nasty when I never said that. Not like you to purposefully fail to read what I said or anything so I'm sure it was a genuine mistake.

The other account said it was a game without much intensity - it certainly was not. High scoring does not equal a lack of intensity or even effort. That's lazy analysis in the extreme.

Itchy

That man can't assess a game full stop. For example, he says Cavan were defensively set up implying Ros werent. For me both teams were set up very similar. Filtered men back and left 2 forwards inside opposition 20 and another around midfield. At different times, at key stages, both teams had everyone behind the ball bar 1. Every team does that pretty much. Only an idiot would look at yesterdays game and say one team was more defensive than the other. Ros were better at breaking it down for sure I'll give him that.

Syferus

Quote from: Itchy on April 02, 2018, 04:33:37 PM

That man can't assess a game full stop. For example, he says Cavan were defensively set up implying Ros werent. For me both teams were set up very similar. Filtered men back and left 2 forwards inside opposition 20 and another around midfield. At different times, at key stages, both teams had everyone behind the ball bar 1. Every team does that pretty much. Only an idiot would look at yesterdays game and say one team was more defensive than the other. Ros were better at breaking it down for sure I'll give him that.

http://www.the42.ie/kevin-mcstay-roscommon-cavan-final-3936287-Apr2018/

You'd want to read what McStay said about how he set the team up to start the match if you actually think we went out to play defensively, unless you're saying he can't assess his own team's tactics?

Christ, you really walked into that one. Most Cavan supporters are great but you're like a bold child most of the time.

Itchy

I said they set themselves up similarly when defending. It's like discussing football with a toddler talking football to you. In fact discussing any subject with you.

Syferus

Quote from: Itchy on April 02, 2018, 05:12:01 PM
I said they set themselves up similarly when defending. It's like discussing football with a toddler talking football to you. In fact discussing any subject with you.

The only reason it looked similar to an untrained eye is because we were going man-to-man for a lot of the first half so if all the Cavan lads who were in defense pushed up when in possession the exact same number of Roscommon players would be back deep. Cavan's system marked space while ours marked the man. They were about as dissimilar as you could get while still playing the same sport. Kilroy eventually reverted to his sweeper role but it still wasn't in the same league as the dual sweeper system Cavan employed for most of the match. Our corner back spent most of the day at wing forward because the corner forward he was marking played as if he was a HB.

Trying to say both team's approaches were the same is the childlike thing in all this - anyone could tell you Cavan are a more defensive team than Roscommon. And good luck to them for it, but facts are facts.

Mayo Mick

Quote from: Syferus on April 02, 2018, 05:25:43 PM

The only reason it looked similar to an untrained eye is because we were going man-to-man for a lot of the first half so if all the Cavan lads who were in defense pushed up when in possession the exact same number of Roscommon players would be back deep. Cavan's system marked space while ours marked the man. They were about as dissimilar as you could get while still playing the same sport. Kilroy eventually reverted to his sweeper role but it still wasn't in the same league as the dual sweeper system Cavan employed for most of the match. Our corner back spent most of the day at wing forward because the corner forward he was marking played as if he was a HB.

Trying to say both team's approaches were the same is the childlike thing in all this - anyone could tell you Cavan are a more defensive team than Roscommon. And good luck to them for it, but facts are facts.

A bit of humour is always welcome Syf. 
If You Don't Bring Home The Bacon, You'll Get Treated Like A Pig!!

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Mayo Mick on April 02, 2018, 05:34:24 PM

A bit of humour is always welcome Syf.
;D

Orchard park

How many goal chances would Rosvommon cough up against an attacking team then?????

Rossfan

In Syferworld you can't question Syfertheories Orchard😆
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Orchard park

I take it Syferus is claiming to be a trained eye !!!!!

Itchy

Quote from: Orchard park on April 02, 2018, 07:18:26 PM
I take it Syferus is claiming to be a trained eye !!!!!

He hasnt a notion. Trained monkey more like

mrdeeds

One Roscommon goal was a throw ball.

oliverkelly