Mayo v Tyrone AI Minor Final

Started by REDCOL, August 31, 2008, 04:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

I thought Harte was brilliant too, very classy player.  McKenna and Gervin also look good prospects.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Zapatista

Quote from: Bomber2312 on September 29, 2008, 09:06:49 AM
congratulations to tyrone, no team deserved to lose but at the same time someone had too! I was actually very suprised to see the level of off the ball stuff the tyrone lads were at, i have never seen a minor team engage in such a level of off the ball pullin and dragging, verbals and digs! Well done to the mayo lads, very proud of the way ye played out there

I'm not a racist but......

AbbeySider

Quote from: kevmy on September 29, 2008, 11:54:42 AM
pitch by far was young Harte at number 6, played fantastic both defensively and going forward and won an amount of ball for a lad his size.

Yeah Peter Harte was fantastic. I think he had the upper hand on Adain O Shea during the game. He was my man of the match.
It was a heartening performance by Mayo. It was probably a little fitness that was lacking in the very end. But in fairness, nothing really separates these two teams, after a draw, replay and extra time you cant really say that one is that much greater than the other.

I had noticed that Tyrone had used their 5 subs by the end of the game and introduced two more in Overtime. Perhaps the management though that if it was a draw they would at least have fresh players on the pitch. That meant they had seven fresh pairs of legs and it showed. At the time I think we had brought on O Hara, Dean Gavin and a wing back whose name doesnt spring to mind. 

I thought Ray Geraghty would come back on and that we would use more subs but it seems that we didnt have as strong a panel as Tyrone in the end.
I would have liked to have seen high balls into Dean Gavin and Alex Corduff with O Hara and the rest of the forwards working off them. Instead we were using O Hara as a target man when Geraghty went off, and I dont think he was able to win the 50-50s. Mistakes really cost us in the end. That said I dont want to rake the coals too much. It was a great game and gives some hope for the future. I think that Hennelly, Shane Nally, Cafferty, O'Shea and Walsh and maybe Keane are possibilities for the future. We will see how they develop as U-21s and I will be hoping they will make it some day.

Zapatista

Quote from: AbbeySider on September 29, 2008, 01:25:29 PM

But in fairness, nothing really separates these two teams, after a draw, replay and extra time you cant really say that one is that much greater than the other.

Down would beg to differ ;)

orangeman

Quote from: ludermor on September 29, 2008, 12:36:38 PM
Quote from: orangeman on September 29, 2008, 11:13:39 AM
The corner back started punching the head of Coney and should have been sent off !

Come on now OM i was in that corner, when they were shaking hands at the very start Coney pulled him into him and punched him in the stomach. That started it off for the day. Coney gave him a fair old roasting in the first half though and he was pulling and draggin him but dont pretend Coney was blameless.

Fair enough - it takes two to tango in most situations - Coney isn't a dirty player and wouldn't be going looking for trouble.

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: Zapatista on September 29, 2008, 01:03:35 PM
Quote from: Bomber2312 on September 29, 2008, 09:06:49 AM
congratulations to tyrone, no team deserved to lose but at the same time someone had too! I was actually very suprised to see the level of off the ball stuff the tyrone lads were at, i have never seen a minor team engage in such a level of off the ball pullin and dragging, verbals and digs! Well done to the mayo lads, very proud of the way ye played out there

I'm not a racist but......
I was at the game and yet again we lose another All-Ireland final...... we played well, matched Tyrone over 120 minutes and then fell apart in extra time. I think the old mentality of losing final after final is getting on top of us....it seemed that we hadn't the belief in ourselves to win the extra time. As for all the pulling and dragging and negative football... why do we always look on ourselves as been above this, is it not time that as a county we toughtened up a bit, became a bit more cynical or are we always going to be happy finishing second.... only one team has the cup today and yet again we have another generation of players who have failed at the final hurdle.

gerry

God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

red hander

Anyone see the Irish News report on the match today?  Apparently Pearse Park is in Roscommon, which isn't even in the same province as Longford ... and they have it on three different Francie Mooney bylines ... Tut Tut Tut, thought I was reading the News Letter for a minute...

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on September 29, 2008, 02:59:01 PM

I was at the game and yet again we lose another All-Ireland final...... we played well, matched Tyrone over 120 minutes and then fell apart in extra time. I think the old mentality of losing final after final is getting on top of us....it seemed that we hadn't the belief in ourselves to win the extra time. As for all the pulling and dragging and negative football... why do we always look on ourselves as been above this, is it not time that as a county we toughtened up a bit, became a bit more cynical or are we always going to be happy finishing second.... only one team has the cup today and yet again we have another generation of players who have failed at the final hurdle.

Have you been listening to George Lee again a Ghaeilgóir uasal? :)

It's only a minor final. "Another generation of players who have failed at the final hurdle" is doing the dog a little, don't you think?

imtommygunn

I think anyone who believes that Mayo gave up or lacked the belief is totally wrong. I think someone got it right here when they said that Tyrone used 7 subs and Mayo didn't seem to have that depth.

They showed character to get the equaliser. There was a ball in the lead up to the equaliser in normal time that they had no right but one of their players, which was symptomatic of their team I thought, dived on it like his life depended on it.

Ultimately like they said on RTE they didn't have enough firepower in the end and I also thought that Tyrone were fitter - perhaps due to the number of players they used which would imply greater depth.

Ultimately, and this is from a neutral, I thought Tyrone were 2 or 3 points better in normal time only for the ref. Anyone who I've talked to shared that view. It is an ulster man's view mind.

Jinxy

Do Tyrone have some sort of cloning device for their minors? The subs they brought on slotted in seamlessly and even looked kind of like the lads that were coming off. I'm onto something here. :P
If you were any use you'd be playing.

reddgnhand

Quote from: Jinxy on September 29, 2008, 05:48:54 PM
Do Tyrone have some sort of cloning device for their minors? The subs they brought on slotted in seamlessly and even looked kind of like the lads that were coming off. I'm onto something here. :P

You've sussed us Jinxy. ::)

muppet

Quote from: reddgnhand on September 29, 2008, 06:01:45 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on September 29, 2008, 05:48:54 PM

You've sussed us Jinxy. ::)

New nickname for Tyrone footballers: The Dollies.
MWWSI 2017

EC Unique

We have 3 Peter Canavans in the lab at present. Just trying to modify the hair genes...

Roy

yes they all mysteriously are growing it under their chin as opposed to over their foreheads.