6 County Assembly Elections - 5th May 2022

Started by Snapchap, February 23, 2022, 10:18:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty34

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on May 09, 2022, 02:05:15 PM
Quote from: marty34 on May 09, 2022, 01:45:45 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on May 09, 2022, 10:45:25 AM
Quote from: marty34 on May 09, 2022, 09:05:42 AM
Yeah, it's totally a symbolic thing.  I think that's the main reason the DUP will not go in again.  They set their stall up a few months re: protocol when they saw the series of opinion polls and they were lagging behind SF. This was when they made the statement about protocol must be sorted. 

They don't see nationalists as equals.
They only do equality on their terms.
Nationalists must call them out on this and use this mantra to the media.

Aoife Moore was on RTÉ yesterday saying SF were driving the re-united Ireland theme and that it was ironic that FFG etc. in the 26 counties have no interest...and them so called republican parties.

SF must be pleased about their move in Derry to replace their two mla's there with new candidates.  Worked out really well for them.

DUP, after losing votes, but holding a lot of seats will be happy enough I think.  They'll be delighted that Allister is just back in himself.

Alliance got a lot of the 4th and 5th seats and will be delighted. Be interesting to see will this replicate into council seats at the next local elections.

SDLP will be shocked. Typical Derry city bluster under Eastwood. He needs to be asked the hard questions.

UUP didn't get much from the Beattie bounce but always said they have to shrink before they grow. Maybe he's right to stick at it.

Aontú - the mirror opposite to the TUV. With the backing of the bishops and the CC, they haven't made much inroads. Be interesting to see will you see their candidates stand again in the local elections.

Green Party - lost two seats and everyone disappointed about that, whatever political party you support. Again, they'll have to build from the bottom up.

PBP - Carroll the single mla again. Squeezed out again.

Whats does Derry City bluster  mean? is that a comment in general about Derry or what is it?

Educate yourself also about Aontú, TUV, catch yourself on, starting to sound like Allison Morris, disgraceful how she and others were trying to push this narrative.

Colum, Derry Ciry bluster like you saying people were told to vote Alliance in the Creggan...lol...were told to!

Like stopping Brexit and going to the birthday party in Armagh...bluster feom the city men.

Aontú are a one issue party - mirror image of TUV with Peadar as leader. Right wing, as loads of others on here have said but you argue with everyone.
I gave all shades of green a vote/preference last Thursday and was delighted to do so. 

Join us in an effort to move the re-unifacation of our country on in the short term. Whatever shade of green you are - don't stand on the sidelines sniping.

What are your republican credentials. PM if you like. I have never ever given a first preference to a non republican party and I am voting republican since SF were on 10% when we were still wakening up to Brits standing over our beds. I have seen people brutalised and shot by both the army and RUC and have been attacked myself by both them and loyalists.  I certainly don't need you to tell me anything about what Derry City men have or havent done for a UI.

Aontú are a left wing party on economics but described as socially conservative on the question of abortion. This seems beyond your ability of understanding, I cant help with that

Don't embarrass yourself with that statement!

You've had a bad week-end with the election results.

As I say, come join the rest of us in the preparation for re-unification of Ireland. Don't snipe at everybody else from the sidelines.

In other news, I always wonder why unionists never put up a single candidate in west belfast.  Would there notbe a good chance of a unionist seat there? Anybody know?

Kidder81

Frank McCoubrey of DUP was in West Belfast and polled 4k odd FPVs which apparently was encouraging for them

5times5times

What's the difference in the Provo's threatening to pull out of Gvt due to the language act, that most here don't speak, and what Wee Jeffrey and his pals are doing?

Shinners crying wolf? Never.

johnnycool

SDLP need to look at the rise of Alliance rather than what the Shinners are doing..

Eastwood seems to be getting a bye ball on this but he's not a great leader, their messaging was poor, attacking the shinners at every cut and turn probably hit them in terms of transfers..

If there's a strategy there, then Colm has hid it well.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on May 09, 2022, 03:26:28 PM
SDLP need to look at the rise of Alliance rather than what the Shinners are doing..

Eastwood seems to be getting a bye ball on this but he's not a great leader, their messaging was poor, attacking the shinners at every cut and turn probably hit them in terms of transfers..

If there's a strategy there, then Colm has hid it well.

Funny Mike Nesbitt was saying the same thing, that their messaging is not getting across but the DUP slogans are hitting the spot...

Slogans and messaging are different, and you can't knock the DUP or SF for that matter, they manage to find a phrase that hits the spot for their voters
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

6th sam

Difficult election for the SDLP. They were always a broad church , pun intended , because it's been mainly church going Catholics. Really green United irelanders, who couldn't vote SF because of violence , those committed to social democratic politics, and non-green Catholics with either no interest in a United ireland , or against it, but still couldn't vote for themunns (justifiably because of their anti-Catholic/anti-irish psyche) .
Now the greener SDLP voters are more prepared to forget SF violent past and want nationalist  strength which can't be provided by SDLP , those with social democracy in their veins probably have some elements of that ethos in Alliance. And those Catholics who don't want themunns  in, are also happy to bolster Alliance . Alliance's surge amongst perceived nationalists has gone up
In recent years, after the likes of Anna Lo, admitting they would be ok with a United ireland. Back in the day , we always viewed Alliance as a soft unionist party (which they still are essentially, but are wise enough to hide it) .
As an Irish "nationalist" , not affiliated to any party , I admire both SDLP and Alliance for always damping down violence in very difficult times. Now times are different . SF have worked really hard and with political intelligence to harness new voters but the only way they can positively influence a movement towards a better ireland is by playing things low key, and not motivating the opposition ( they did that brilliantly in this election) . However they also can use momentum and some degree of radicalism to optimise their own vote. It would concern me that if SDLP continue to slide , it shrinks the green bloc and bolsters Alliance, who have always bought into the constitutional
Position of the time and therefore are unlikely to promote an All island solution in the short term.
Alliance are part of the problem Here. They represent a position held by most here that real politics (poverty/health/education/equality ) trumps constitutional arrangements. However they have squeezed out moderate unionism and nationalism, ironically keeping two extremes , who can't agree , in government.
I think for a lot of reasons we need to re-visit outdated elements of the GFA. Unless there could be a coalition of SF (as largest party on the island)  and Alliance ( with unionist insight ), SF may hope the SDLP get stronger and win back some alliance voters , to contribute to a stronger green bloc. I'd be hopeful then that an increasing nationalist vote keeps DUP in check , with additional support of Alliance who I feel can be persuaded to seriously look at potential future constitutional arrangements on this island  .

johnnycool

At least this ballbag didn't get in;

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/belfast-news/tuv-speaks-out-against-gaa-23854261

Also interesting reading at the bottom of that article...

imtommygunn

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 09, 2022, 03:55:49 PM
Breeding at some rate down there jc ;D

I've done more than my fair share, that's all that I'm saying  ;D

Don't tell michaelg, but some people are actually interbreeding with "prodestants" and their kids like to play GAA plus we really did need the gene pool widened anyway as it was getting a bit stale...

;D ;D ;D

Quick quiz question. How many GAA pitches do North Down and Ards BC maintain currently?
Answers on a postcard.

I digress, but that's the type of character that nearly got in here FFS.

seafoid

Quote from: trailer on May 09, 2022, 02:02:04 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 09, 2022, 01:46:58 PM
https://www.ft.com/content/53592270-98aa-4030-812a-dc019461b8d7

Unionists pointed out the DUP, together with the Ulster Unionist party and the Traditional Unionist Voice, actually garnered some 17,000 more votes than nationalist groups in Thursday's elections. They increased their vote share to 42 per cent, while the nationalist proportion slipped fractionally to just over 39 per cent.

I think Alliance are harbouring some soft Nationalist votes. We need to win those back. Obv they hold some Unionist votes as well.
Alliance have got a pretty free run. The lovely middle ground. We don't offend anyone. All is great. Lets all get along. I'd say they'll have a target on their backs from now on.
It is going to get interesting. For years they had 8-10 MLAs
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

DownFanatic

Quote from: johnnycool on May 09, 2022, 03:45:17 PM

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/belfast-news/tuv-speaks-out-against-gaa-23854261

Do Ballygalget take from Cloughey?

johnnycool

Quote from: DownFanatic on May 09, 2022, 04:40:43 PM

yes, most of it, but it does get a bit blurry with Ballycran up the northern end.
Snooze you lose.

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: johnnycool on May 09, 2022, 04:09:29 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on May 09, 2022, 03:55:49 PM
Breeding at some rate down there jc ;D

I've done more than my fair share, that's all that I'm saying  ;D

Don't tell michaelg, but some people are actually interbreeding with "prodestants" and their kids like to play GAA plus we really did need the gene pool widened anyway as it was getting a bit stale...

;D ;D ;D

Quick quiz question. How many GAA pitches do North Down and Ards BC maintain currently?
Answers on a postcard.

I digress, but that's the type of character that nearly got in here FFS.

I'd sat it's similar to the number of council owned GAA pitches in the old Banbridge council area. New 3G one at St Patricks was a long time coming and you couldn't get near it now.

red hander

Quote from: Kidder81 on May 09, 2022, 03:22:11 PM
Frank McCoubrey of UDA  was in West Belfast and polled 4k odd FPVs which apparently was encouraging for them

Fixed that for you.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on May 09, 2022, 04:42:56 PM
Quote from: DownFanatic on May 09, 2022, 04:40:43 PM

yes, most of it, but it does get a bit blurry with Ballycran up the northern end.
Snooze you lose.

I seen thon bake of Cooper on billboards heading in and out of Ards on Sunday! They really need to get away from fat ginger heart attack faced males!! Honestly
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea