Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bogball88

TyroneClubs

Honest question for any adult players on here - do you actually enjoy playing Gaelic anymore?

It is so much commitment now with teams out on pitch 3 times a week and then expected to be in gym 2-3 times a week. Gone are the days of playing for enjoyment and it's even down in this way for teams in lower half of division 3 - I get they don't want to be there but making teams train on a Friday night and Sunday morning after the way weve had to live the last two years is making it harder and harder for players to commit.

Leagues didn't finish last year until December and teams were back out in February. Something has got to give or numbers will continue to dwindle in the smaller clubs in particular. It would be hard to blame 18/19/20 year olds as well as those with young family for not wanting to commit.

trueblue1234

Quote from: TyroneClubs on March 25, 2022, 08:42:12 AM
Honest question for any adult players on here - do you actually enjoy playing Gaelic anymore?

It is so much commitment now with teams out on pitch 3 times a week and then expected to be in gym 2-3 times a week. Gone are the days of playing for enjoyment and it's even down in this way for teams in lower half of division 3 - I get they don't want to be there but making teams train on a Friday night and Sunday morning after the way weve had to live the last two years is making it harder and harder for players to commit.

Leagues didn't finish last year until December and teams were back out in February. Something has got to give or numbers will continue to dwindle in the smaller clubs in particular. It would be hard to blame 18/19/20 year olds as well as those with young family for not wanting to commit.

It's beyond a joke now with regards training requirements. No room for a older family man anymore. Quit playing bout 5 years ago but was 36 at the time so well due it. Have to say the last couple of years were more of a slog with less enjoyment. Even at reserve level.  Started playing dads & lads last year and starting enjoying the casual games again.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

bogball88

Quote from: trueblue1234 on March 25, 2022, 09:45:18 AM

It's beyond a joke now with regards training requirements. No room for a older family man anymore. Quit playing bout 5 years ago but was 36 at the time so well due it. Have to say the last couple of years were more of a slog with less enjoyment. Even at reserve level.  Started playing dads & lads last year and starting enjoying the casual games again.
Des Tracey still flying it

Ethan Tremblay

Spot on, the club game is slowly being ruined.  3 nights a week training, a gym program that is 3 sessions per week (max a half hour, but they still "need to be done") and now a recovery session has been added in as well for a Monday after a game for my club. Literally a football related activity every night of the week.  Mentally it is draining more than physically. 

Young fellas have jacked it in already, older ones can't give that time with business and family commitments either, club is ultimately suffering short and long term. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

LeoMc

So what is the solution here? Everyone wants to win and wants to be that bit more prepared than the opposition.
A club or Manager wanting to retain players can drop the training load but once results start to go against them....

TyroneClubs

Quote from: LeoMc on March 25, 2022, 10:41:52 AM
So what is the solution here? Everyone wants to win and wants to be that bit more prepared than the opposition.
A club or Manager wanting to retain players can drop the training load but once results start to go against them....

I agree as well with that, it's a lose lose really. Now we're in this way I think it's hard to change it less if you get me. But I do think numbers will continue to go

TyroneOnlooker

Quote from: LeoMc on March 25, 2022, 10:41:52 AM

I think it's ultimately reserve football that will take the impact first and foremost but that ultimately transfers across the whole set up. It's now a given that you'll be doing 2 x pitch trainings, 1 x match/extra training on weekend, 2 x gym sessions, recovery somewhere in there too.

That's fine for senior 15-18 who are playing but not appealing to the other 20 or so. So if that's the demand that everyone is expected to buy into, your older family man or average reserve footballer will drift off because they can't/don't want to commit to that. we've seen over the last few years the increasing no. of reserve matches not completed.

I honestly don't know what the answer is because everyone else is doing it so if you don't, you fall behind. I think it's ultimately going to be the detriment of reserve football with some clubs left with seniors only ie. can't commit then can't be involved.

WT4E

Split senior and reserve

E.g.
Pomeroy 1sts
Pomeroy 2nds

Then don't have any link to hat each team play in. let them both have relegation and promotion on offer.

PeterEli

Does anyone have gradings for u15s? Interested in compiling a list of what grades a club is playing at for each age group. U19, U17 & U13 are on the tyronegaa website but no info for u15.

W.A.G. Lover

We are 5 weeks out from the proposed start date of league football on 6th May - Still no sign of fixtures. Is there even a master plan?
Is this been held up by Greencastle fiasco? Or Tyrone extended squad to be reduced for star fixtures?

Under Lights

Quote from: W.A.G. Lover on March 30, 2022, 03:46:20 PM
We are 5 weeks out from the proposed start date of league football on 6th May - Still no sign of fixtures. Is there even a master plan?
Is this been held up by Greencastle fiasco? Or Tyrone extended squad to be reduced for star fixtures?

With current Tyrone training panel I believe there are 8 teams in intermediate football affected.
Galbally
Edendork
Pomeroy
Eglish
Owen Roes
Aghyaran
Clogher
Rock

Ancharraig123

Surely the CCC have to make a finalised decision on the Greencasle/Aghyaran saga and release fixtures pretty soon

GetTheBallIn

Been told fixtures are being released this weekend. Can anyone confirm?