Tailteann Cup - Semi-Final Draw
The four Quarter-Final winners from this weekend's games
will be drawn to two Semi-Finals - subject to avoidance of
repeat pairings from the overall championship where
possible. The Semi-Finals are due to take place on Sunday,
June 25th at Páirc an Chrócaigh.
Fixture details for both the Sam Maguire Preliminary
Quarter-Finals and the Tailteann Cup Semi-Finals will be
confirmed by the C.C.C.C on Monday afternoon next.
Note 1 - There is a possibility that a Draw for the Tailteann
Cup Semi-finals will not be required, depending on the
outcome of this weekend's fixtures
Note 2 - The CCCC will confirm final details for both draws
(i.e. what teams are in Bowl 1 and Bowl 2 in the Sam
Maguire, what pairings cannot happen in both draws etc) on
Sunday evening.

Laoiseabu

So going by those rules Meath and Down can't play each other which means we will have to play one of them .

One pot will be Meath and Down and the other pot will be Laois and Antrim/Carlow

recyclebin

Why would they have that rule for the semi-final draw? It doesn't make any sense. Some teams having to play 4 weeks in a row doesn't seem fair either. Come Semi-Final there should be two week break and an open draw in my opinion. As it stands there is a three week break to the final. They could cut that back to two instead.

Silkyskillssunshinee

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter who we play in the semi-final as we will have to beat a Meath/Down if we want to lift the Tailteann Cup. That should be our aim as well. This group of players have shown real heart over the last few weeks.

The forward line of Murphy, Barry, O'Carroll and Kingston will cause any team in the TC problems. We need to maybe be a bit cuter with how we play at times but we have the firepower there to be competitive with a Meath/Down.

Hopefully a decent crowd turn up for two weeks time as the lads deserve it.

on the hop

It's Sunday the 25th on the fixtures

Laoiseabu

Quote from: Laoiseabu on June 17, 2023, 11:38:16 PM
Quote from: Silkyskillssunshinee on June 17, 2023, 11:00:28 PM
At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter who we play in the semi-final as we will have to beat a Meath/Down if we want to lift the Tailteann Cup. That should be our aim as well. This group of players have shown real heart over the last few weeks.

The forward line of Murphy, Barry, O'Carroll and Kingston will cause any team in the TC problems. We need to maybe be a bit cuter with how we play at times but we have
the firepower there to be competitive with a Meath/Down.

Hopefully a decent crowd turn up for two weeks time as the lads deserve it.

I'd be less worried about our firepower and be more worried about the sheer amount of goal chances that our defence concedes . I counted 4 point blank goals that Limerick missed in the first half today and they missed another one in the second half after a loose kick pass by a Laois defender. On another day Limerick could of taken a couple of those goal chances and the game would of been wraps at half time . Limerick also gifted us the game at the end when one of their defenders played in Colm Murphy for the goal with a lose back pass . I suppose sometimes you need a bit of luck and we certainly got that today . I thought Paddy OSullivan was very good today and I thought Evan OCarroll has looked more like his old self the past two games which is a huge positive

Onto Croke Park next and it looks like if we want to win a Tailteann cup we will more than likely need to beat both Meath and Down . One thing I notice about both Meath and Down is that they both have fierce pace in their sides and they both have some decent scoring forwards . I think In the wide open spaces of croke park we will need to try and tighten up defensively or else we could be sliced through at ease by two teams who are a lot more clinical than Limerick .

Countyminor

Billy deserves a ton of credit. Got all the big calls right today. I'll hold my hands up and say I was far too reactionary personally after the London game and certainly shared some opinions I'd have been far better off keeping to myself. Fair play to everyone involved, you've done far more for this county than keyboard warriors like myself at times ever could.

thegreeenandgold

Quote from: Countyminor on June 17, 2023, 11:47:00 PM
Billy deserves a ton of credit. Got all the big calls right today. I'll hold my hands up and say I was far too reactionary personally after the London game and certainly shared some opinions I'd have been far better off keeping to myself. Fair play to everyone involved, you've done far more for this county than keyboard warriors like myself at times ever could.

Thanks Chris, Jesus beating Fermanagh and Limerick is now regarded as lifting us from the doldrums. 

Countyminor

Beating Fermanagh and Limerick away is damn good going given that both of those sides were among the favourites for this tournament and given that both have been playing at a much higher level than ourselves this year. I would say that those two performances are better than anything we've produced since our league performance prior to the Covid restrictions in 2020.

I'm curious Green and Gold why you or anyone else would be dismissive of that?

thegreeenandgold

It's extremely moderate results
Against two GAA football populations that are quite abit smaller than us
5 years ago beating these would be standard fare
So by regression these results have now become hard to win games.

High Fielder

The absolute pits was drawing with London. The last 2 results are an improvement on that. I'll take it

County Man

Full credit to both players and management for a hard fought win against Limerick. The scenes at full time were a sight to behold. Great to have a decent Laois support there as well.

In the period between the 5th and 12th minute, we kicked 5 wonderful points after going 3-0 down. The interplay was tremendous in this period with a real confidence in the side and good teamwork. I don't remember seeing something like that in a Laois team for 10 years.

The Tailteann cup has been terrific for us. Very few would have seen us beat both Fermanagh and Limerick away. Limerick ran Cork very close in last years qualifier for a place in the All Ireland quarter finals.

It was admirable that we stuck to the task, chipped away and got over the line with Colm Murphy's late goal.

Draw this morning for the semi finals. My hunch is Meath v Laois and Down v Antrim.

Joeythelips

Laois v Down & Meath v Antrim. Tough but at the end of the day its still a team who played at Div 3 level is same level as Fermanagh and Limerick. That last 15 mins against Limerick will really stand to Laois and give them great belief for this game. After the London game you would have taken someones hand off for a semi final against Down, lets be honest.

redsetanta

Fair play to the Laois team it certainly lifted the mood among a few of us in Athens.

Great finish to the game and lets be honest, after the group stages, we are in real bonus territory now and credit must go to all involved. It would have been easy to throw in the towel and write of the year.

Traditionally we've never done well in Limerick and I didn't think that would change so fair play to all.

Looking forward to going to Croke Park next weekend now.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Spiritof86

Left Limerick on Saturday with a nice feeling of satisfaction. Two wins and momentum has been built . The return of a fit Colm Murphy has been a big bonus and made forward selection a little more competitive. The changing of the goalkeeper position has also helped .
Sunday will be a completely different challenge in Dublin . The space will suit our forwards and if they click at all you would think we can put up a nice score .
However you would have to be worried about our defence and the power and pace of the Down midfield and forwards running at us .