Tailteann Cup 2023 - Rules from GAA Master Fixtures List

Started by GAABoardMod5, March 29, 2023, 02:36:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

Freak results can happen and Longford have had many a pasting over the years.
Small county and limited resources etc etc

But Laois should not be in this position. Should be as good as Kildare and Westmeath.

Yesterday Laois were a disgrace. Longford went toe-to-toe with Down a few weeks ago in Newry and were there challenging until the last 10 mins.

imtommygunn

The thing is though... Laois beat Limerick and Fermanagh in knockout games...

Would the same not have happened to them?

snoopdog

Quote from: thejuice on June 26, 2023, 06:29:08 AM
Don't think we need a third tier just because Laois aren't pulling their weight at the minute. Don't know why this management team was kept in place. Things can improve for Laois quickly if the right people get stuck in.

If anything Down and probably Meath are showing that they shouldn't be in the TC in all honesty. Also bringing third placed teams out of the group have resulted in poor teams getting further than they should.
Down are in the Tailteann because thsts where they deserve to be. We have struggled from one year to the next for nearly 30 years v
Bar 2010. We are still a work in progress and Meath will be a tough challenge in the final. Its only a few weeks ago that Armagh destroyed us in Clones. But the extra games have brought us on buy we aren't at a level yet to compete with any of those teams in the QF draw this morning.

Shamrock Shore

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 26, 2023, 09:51:23 AM

I accept your point. Laois did beat both Fermanagh and Limerick. But how did they go from those 2 wins, which should have put wind in their sails, to what happened yesterday?
I don't understand to be honest.

Rossfan

Mental and/or  physical tiredness of 4 games in a row??
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Lazer

Quote from: snoopdog on June 26, 2023, 10:01:05 AM
Quote from: thejuice on June 26, 2023, 06:29:08 AM
Don't think we need a third tier just because Laois aren't pulling their weight at the minute. Don't know why this management team was kept in place. Things can improve for Laois quickly if the right people get stuck in.

If anything Down and probably Meath are showing that they shouldn't be in the TC in all honesty. Also bringing third placed teams out of the group have resulted in poor teams getting further than they should.
Down are in the Tailteann because thsts where they deserve to be. We have struggled from one year to the next for nearly 30 years v
Bar 2010. We are still a work in progress and Meath will be a tough challenge in the final. Its only a few weeks ago that Armagh destroyed us in Clones. But the extra games have brought us on buy we aren't at a level yet to compete with any of those teams in the QF draw this morning.

Have the extra games brought us on more than playing in the old style qualifiers though?

I personally belive that the two tiers seriously disadvantages the teams on the cusp of 2nd division level etc. The teams just above them get experience of playing at a higher level and that makes them better (even when they lose), the 2 tiers improves the quality of the football in  the top tier but makes it harder for other teams to break into the top tier.

Down probably improved more from losing to Armagh than beating Laois.

The league is the competition for playing at your level, the all-Ireland is a knock out championship and shock results are part of that, the new system doesn't allow for that anymore.

Instead of playing around with the All-Ireland Structure, we should be expanding the League.

Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)

imtommygunn

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 26, 2023, 10:45:42 AM

I accept your point. Laois did beat both Fermanagh and Limerick. But how did they go from those 2 wins, which should have put wind in their sails, to what happened yesterday?
I don't understand to be honest.

Neither do I. Would the same have happened anyone else? I guess we'll see how good Down are in the final. I do think they have an organisation and a setup now which is probably a level above most at that level. I think Meath maybe have enough raw talent but probably aren't that well setup either.

GoldCoastRossie

Before a ball was thrown in, people would of permed 2/3 from Cavan, Meath and Down to make the final depending on the draws. A number of games later that's what happened.

yellowcard

I think Croke Park probably suits Down, the one thing they have is a lot of runners and pace in their side. I know Meath beat them in the group stages but I think Down are capable of turning the tables in the final.   

full moon

Quote from: GoldCoastRossie on June 26, 2023, 12:18:02 PM
Before a ball was thrown in, people would of permed 2/3 from Cavan, Meath and Down to make the final depending on the draws. A number of games later that's what happened.
Agree there it was going to be one of them, and I knew Cavan weren't motoring well and were too short for it. In the end it was unlucky to draw Down in QF but it was going to happen eventually.

full moon

I don't know enough about Limerick but they were in Division 2 this year I think it would have been much tighter. I know there is not a hope Fermanagh would have been turned over like that.

I think a lot of counties are not at full tilt in this for various reasons. Supporters until the semi finals have had little interest, it filters through to players. It's more of a post season or pre season comp, than actual Championship intensity. I think Fermanagh and Offaly are better than they showed in this. Some counties were going through the motions.

imtommygunn

Limerick lost their manager and definitely on a downward spiral. They should probably have beat Laois and got caught at the end but it was tight enough before that. Fermanagh would be unlikely to have shipped a beating like this.

tintin25

To be honest I'd say if you asked Cavan and Fermanagh what they would prefer, promotion or Tailteann winners then they'd choose the former all day long.

yellowcard

Quote from: tintin25 on June 26, 2023, 12:56:28 PM
To be honest I'd say if you asked Cavan and Fermanagh what they would prefer, promotion or Tailteann winners then they'd choose the former all day long.

Don't quite understand that logic at all. The chance of winning a national trophy in Croke Park in front of a big crowd during the summer on a big championship day with a guaranteed holiday. As opposed to getting promoted playing winter League football with no tangible success. Nobody will remember finishing 2nd in division 3 at the end of their career. 

Nanderson

Quote from: tintin25 on June 26, 2023, 12:56:28 PM
But getting promoted  doesn't mean they'd be playing in all ireland series next year. Only way to guarantee it is to win tailteann cup