Tailteann Cup 2023 - Rules from GAA Master Fixtures List

Started by GAABoardMod5, March 29, 2023, 02:36:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty34

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 25, 2023, 08:36:27 PM
Quote from: marty34 on June 25, 2023, 08:32:32 PM
I think there should be 3 competitions in football.  Graded like the hurling. Allows for progression.

Also regression, which is one of the reasons why (in football) there is resistance

That's the arrogance of football unfortunately.

Needs to be done as there's a group of teams at the lower level who are very poor indeed.

From the Bunker

Quote from: marty34 on June 25, 2023, 08:46:39 PM
I think there should be 3 competitions in football.  Graded like the hurling. Allows for progression.

Also regression, which is one of the reasons why (in football) there is resistance

Needs to be done as there's a group of teams at the lower level who are very poor indeed.

There is a lot more arrogance in Hurling with it's multi-tiers.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 25, 2023, 08:54:40 PM

It's simple. In hurling counties realise that competing in levels above your station will result in some serious hammerings. That's why they have accepted the tiered system, so only by moving up through the grades can only prepare you for that step up.

Yes there is arrogance from the aristocracy of hurling, no different to the football snobs though.

The reality is this, you have to earn the right, and in football and hurling you're given two options/opportunities to sit at the top table. Through the league and through your championships.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Blowitupref

And what grade do you reckon Laois should go into when you consider they reached the last 4 of this competition.  Hammerings happen no amount of tiers will change that as been seen in hurling. 
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

marty34

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 25, 2023, 08:54:40 PM

No, hurling people understand and appreciate that they needed various levels.

Football people are too arrogant. Think they all should be in the Sam Maguire by right.

Look at Laois today, beat out the gate.  Various other teams the same. Think they should be in the top tier. 

general_lee

Don't think there's any need for an extra tier in football in all honesty. The gaps in hurling are much more vast, it's easier for a traditionally weak county like Louth to push for Div1 football and Sam Maguire than it is for say a middle tier hiring county Kerry to push for Div1 & Liam MacCarthy. Creating another tier in football is just creating another barrier to progression

Milltown Row2

Quote from: general_lee on June 25, 2023, 09:19:54 PM
Don't think there's any need for an extra tier in football in all honesty. The gaps in hurling are much more vast, it's easier for a traditionally weak county like Louth to push for Div1 football and Sam Maguire than it is for say a middle tier hiring county Kerry to push for Div1 & Liam MacCarthy. Creating another tier in football is just creating another barrier to progression

So you feel Louth will win Sam or could win Sam in your life time?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

From the Bunker

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 25, 2023, 09:38:47 PM

The question is could Laois win the Tailteann Cup in your life time? And I think they could.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 25, 2023, 09:44:08 PM

The question is could Laois win the Tailteann Cup in your kife time? And I think they could.

They might never have to if they reach div2 and by then they've at least got themselves to a level worth considering, until then you have to earn it

general_lee

Yes that is clearly what I'm saying here.
Louth were Division 4 two years ago. They were on the cusp of Division 1 this year. Neither you nor I will never see a hurling county do that.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: general_lee on June 25, 2023, 09:56:06 PM

Yes that is clearly what I'm saying here.
Louth were Division 4 two years ago. They were on the cusp of Division 1 this year. Neither you nor I will never see a hurling county do that.

Westmeath Kerry Carlow have all played in the lower tiers and proved that you can actually move up.

But you're delusional to think Louth will be playing on the last day at Croke. You seen their game against Dublin?

Christmas Lights

Today's Down Vs Laois result was a bit of a freak.  People reading too much into it.  A terrible terrible day at the office got Laois, they aren't near as bad as they showed today.

2 tiers in the football I think is best,  no need for a third tier

Laoiseabu

Quote from: Christmas Lights on June 25, 2023, 10:03:50 PM
Today's Down Vs Laois result was a bit of a freak.  People reading too much into it.  A terrible terrible day at the office got Laois, they aren't near as bad as they showed today.

2 tiers in the football I think is best,  no need for a third tier

We couldn't get out of division 4 this year , we conceded 4-30 at home to Dublin (23 points down at halftime ) in the Leinster championship, we failed to win any of our group stage games in the Tailteann cup and only snook out of the group in 3rd spot after salvaging a late draw against London who should of beaten us . As I Laois man I can say that today was no freak result . We are in a REALLY REALLY bad place from top to bottom at the moment

Wildweasel74

But why are you there, I remember a Laois minor team make 3 All-Ireland finals late 90's been the basis of their senior team. Why have Laois fell so far away, what's happening in club fball, why has the minors dropped away. Is there no big financial backers in the county. That could bring in a good manager and winning mentality. I remember Laois putting Derry out 4/5yrs ago. Why did both teams go in the opposite direction.

thejuice

Don't think we need a third tier just because Laois aren't pulling their weight at the minute. Don't know why this management team was kept in place. Things can improve for Laois quickly if the right people get stuck in.

If anything Down and probably Meath are showing that they shouldn't be in the TC in all honesty. Also bringing third placed teams out of the group have resulted in poor teams getting further than they should.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016