Laois Senior Football Championship 2016

Started by Heshs Umpire, March 04, 2016, 10:32:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyroanAbu

Is quality and competitive the same thing as the Laois Hurling Championship is competitive but quality wise is quite poor.  Gaels teams of course should be allowed but not at the destruction of clubs who do not want to be involved.   Is the problem with the senior football championship in Laois or the fact that Portlaoise has over 60% of the population of the county to pick from. 

BallyroanAbbey

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on August 16, 2016, 02:17:53 PM
Is quality and competitive the same thing as the Laois Hurling Championship is competitive but quality wise is quite poor.  Gaels teams of course should be allowed but not at the destruction of clubs who do not want to be involved.   Is the problem with the senior football championship in Laois or the fact that Portlaoise has over 60% of the population of the county to pick from.
[/quote

The best way to make the championship more competitive is to increase the quality of the teams in it. If you have 8 teams in the championship and have the best players from the teams below senior playing with those clubs too you would imagine the quality would automatically increase, because at the moment portlaoise are several levels above everyone else.

Also there is around 20 thousand in portlaoise, theres 80 thousand in laois so 60% is a gross overestimation

BallyroanAbu

I was just guessing on population as I don't really care, as for me it's a non issue.  But what I am saying is that Gael's teams are fine but they have to be a choice of the clubs not pushed on them.  I think teams should have 2 games in the championship excluding relegation.  But I would be careful on quality means less teams as some of the worst teams in the championship over the last couple of years have not necessarily been relegated.  O Dempsey's who quality wise last year there was nothing wrong with just got into a rut they could not manage to get out of.  BallyroanAbbey in 2007 and possibly Emo this year even though I find it hard to see Clonaslee beating anyone.  I would also hang fire on the success of GAELS teams until you hear back on clubs over a couple of years as there will be issues between Hurling & Football that can mess up the whole equilibrium.

P.S BallyroanAbbey do you not think that Portlaoise are something to aspire to ,  they have not always been this strong nor will they always be. 

Unlaoised

Gaels is the way to go but it should be more structured I don't see the connection between Mountmellick and castletown.

Why not Mountmellick with Kilcavan ...

Or Mountmellick and Ballyfin like they are in Juvenile level?

I don't think Castletwon or slieve bloom really improved Mountmellick or Ballyfin as there was only one player from each on the teams.

You could argue that Spink/Ballinakill made Crettyard stronger!

Do Ballyroan get many from abbeyleix?

Imagine this for a 12 team championship

Portlaoise
Ballyfin/Mountmellick
Arles(kileen and killcruise)
Ballylinan/Crettyard/Spink
Emo/Courtwood/The Rock
O Dempseys
St Joes/Barrowhouse
Graiguecullen
Stradbally/Timahoe/Annanough
Portarlington
The Heath
Ballyroan Abbey/Abbeyleix/Durrow

I know they all ain't perfect only a rough drawn out plan of how it might look!

LAOIS ABÚ

Ballyroan Abbey

P.S BallyroanAbbey do you not think that Portlaoise are something to aspire to ,  they have not always been this strong nor will they always be.
[/quote

I fully believe that they are something to aspire to, you were the one who brought up population. I also believe that they need to be tested and until clubs get their acts together at underage gales teams are the best way of doing that.

Laoiseabu

Your going to leave odempseys and the Heath on their own especially with the two struggling

Laoiseabu

Ballyroan Abbey

Quote from: Unlaoised on August 16, 2016, 03:16:11 PM
Gaels is the way to go but it should be more structured I don't see the connection between Mountmellick and castletown.

I don't think Castletwon or slieve bloom really improved Mountmellick or Ballyfin as there was only one player from each on the teams.

Portlaoise
Ballyfin/Mountmellick
Emo/Courtwood/The Rock
O Dempseys
St Joes/Barrowhouse
Graiguecullen
Portarlington
The Heath

From my understanding of it you can only have one team in with a senior club to make a gales team. You could end up with a senior championship like
Portlaoise
Portarlington gales (o dempseys)
mountmellick gales (ballyfin)
St joesphs ggales (barrowhouse)
Emo gales (courtwood)
Arles Kilcruise Gales (ballylinan)
Stradbally gales (timahoe)
Arles Killen

Then have an intermediate of
Ballyroan Abbey
Mountmellick
O dempseys
Ballylinan
Ballyfin
Crettyard
Killeshin
Graiguecullen

This would make the current intermediate junior a, overall you would be talking about a serious increase in competitiveness and quality

Laoiseabu

It wide be easier to just stick the two Arles together and put ballyfin an with crettyard and killeshin with graigue

Laoiseabu

Ballyroan Abbey

Was basing it off clubs that play together underage and one that realistically would get relegated, as for the two arles's they are still amongst the best teams in the county and the chances of them joining is slim to none whereas you could see one of them going in with ballylinan, if kikeshin and cretty went up surely they would go with each other considering they are together underage and are beside each other

Downtheroad

Quote from: Ballyroan Abbey on August 16, 2016, 04:24:47 PM
Quote from: Unlaoised on August 16, 2016, 03:16:11 PM

Portlaoise
Ballyfin/Mountmellick
Emo/Courtwood/The Rock
O Dempseys
St Joes/Barrowhouse
Graiguecullen
Portarlington
The Heath

From my understanding of it you can only have one team in with a senior club to make a gales team. You could end up with a senior championship like
Portlaoise
Portarlington gales (o dempseys)
mountmellick gales (ballyfin)
St joesphs ggales (barrowhouse)
Emo gales (courtwood)
Arles Kilcruise Gales (ballylinan)
Stradbally gales (timahoe)
Arles Killen

Then have an intermediate of
Ballyroan Abbey
Mountmellick
O dempseys
Ballylinan
Ballyfin
Crettyard
Killeshin
Graiguecullen

This would make the current intermediate junior a, overall you would be talking about a serious increase in competitiveness and quality

just a couple of points

- A senior club is not restricted to drawing from one club
- Castletown is Brendan Reddin and no one else. 

Laoiseabu

Is the minor football championship final on this evening or has it been put back

Heshs Umpire

Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

Ballyroan Abbey

Looking forward to the minor final this week( bit disapointing that it is being played mid week), i know we bet st pauls at u16 level but wouldnt be too sure on the opposition bar kinsella, would there be many from the rock and courtwood or is it mainly emo players?