All you can drink offer for €50- Good or bad?

Started by stiffler, November 10, 2008, 10:38:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stiffler

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/bar-pushes-all-you-can-drink-offer-for-euro50-1518900.html

By Kevin Doyle

Monday November 03 2008

A city centre bar is to introduce a Las Vegas style all-you-can-drink evenings for the promoted cost of €50.

The offer by SIN Theatre in Temple Bar may prove controversial but bar management say it needs to find new ways of overcoming the drop in sales.

The deal will see punters make a €50 payment at door for an "all inclusive" night.

Included in the fee is admission, cloakroom, live entertainment, drinks and a pizza slice on your way home.

According to SIN General Manager Ciaran Gray, the aim is to attract drinkers out of their homes and back into town and it is fully legal.

"The new laws already mean that we're only busy for about two hours a night, so we're hoping this will get people in early and that they'll stay," he said.

Figures from Vintners' associations state that 1,500 pubs have closed nationwide since 2001.

And among the main reasons cited is the high rate of tax on alcohol, continuing growth of home drinking and the overall decline in consumption.

Mr Gray said that he has cleared the idea with gardai and is prepared for any criticisms of the scheme.

"It will absolutely not encourage excessive drinking because we'll be as strict on that as ever.

"We're over-21s and all staff have training in the responsible service of alcohol."

Mr Gray added: "We're really going to up the entertainment side of things as well so that it's not all about drinking."

The move came on the same weekend that another Dublin bar was strongly criticised for offering cut-price drink promotions to patrons wearing fancy dress.

Do yous feel this is a good thing or not?

I know drinking in dublin would easily cost you 3 times the fee, but will this lead to increased violence etc.

also would you like to be stuck in the one place all nite, most probably with a twenty minute wait at the bar?

Has anyone been in this spot before, is it any use?
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Orior

Bad thing, very bad thing. Ever heard of alcohol poisoning?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Yes I Would

Its a damn good idea if they have sufficient bar staff.

Lavery's Gin Palace in Belfast ran a similar night back in the student days.  Place jammed to the rafters, 4 rows deep at the bar. Think there were 3 bar staff.
Waste of time!!

ONeill

Fearon once took part in an all-you-can-eat for £20 in KFC.

The outlet was shut down 2 hours into the venture.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

imtommygunn

It will attract a load of scumbags. Look at witherspoons in belfast as an example. Awful place...

Mario

I spent €100 on sat night out so i welcome this. The price of drink in the south is ridiculous, well the price of everything is ridiculous but especially alcohol

Orior

Quote from: Mario on November 10, 2008, 11:41:09 PM
I spent €100 on sat night out so i welcome this. The price of drink in the south is ridiculous, well the price of everything is ridiculous but especially alcohol

Lucky you can afford that. I hope she was worth every penny.

Btw, are there no cheaper ways for you to enjoy yourself, besides getting ratarsed?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Tankie

I cant see the value here, i'd say its bad beer and you need to have a min of 10 - 11 drinks for any value which means you have to stay in the same place for the whole night. I would also worry about the crowd.
Grand Slam Saturday!

Maguire01

Quote from: Yes I Would on November 10, 2008, 11:02:59 PM
Its a damn good idea if they have sufficient bar staff.

Lavery's Gin Palace in Belfast ran a similar night back in the student days.  Place jammed to the rafters, 4 rows deep at the bar. Think there were 3 bar staff.Waste of time!!
That's probably the only way to make something like this pay. Fewer wages and less drinks served.

thebandit

whitey

When I lived out in Chicago I went to the St. Brendans dinner dance one year-$40 all you could drink.  I think they lost money on every attendee (and beer was only $2 a bottle back then).

magpie seanie

If I was guaranteed good Guinness and no noise pollution then yes, good value for a night out. I expect a person of my tastes would be hugely disappointed by this place though.

An Fear Rua

pubs could look at a "loyalty card" type scheme, where you could purchase 10-20 pints in advance at a discounted rate? And use them over a few visits?
Its Grim up North

Tankie

Quote from: An Fear Rua on November 11, 2008, 10:38:46 AM
pubs could look at a "loyalty card" type scheme, where you could purchase 10-20 pints in advance at a discounted rate? And use them over a few visits?

pubs have shot themselves in the foot with the price of a pint, i cant believe how dead pubs are mid week in Dublin now but this has been happening for years and now the recession hasnt helped. Unless there is an actual mid week night out planned i never go out mid week as I have the big tv and Sky Sports in my house and the lads can just call around. Who wants to goto an empty pub and pat €4.50 - €6 for a pint....
Grand Slam Saturday!