The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Jurgen walks - Stallion vindicated

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

I agree VAR is shit as well but by the letter of the law it was right for the Liverpool goal.

Not sure how they came to the conclusion Son was a red card today though surely with the benefit of slow mo replay they could see that his tackle while cynical wasn't that bad and the way he fell into Aurier caused the leg break!

Tony Baloney

It's pish. It's too pervasive. It should have been used for howlers similar to goal-line tech, but it's sucking the life out of the game. I think in its current guise it will be disastrous for the game. The rugby TMO is not perfect but it's a much superior solution and is very transparent.

J70

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 03, 2019, 09:31:04 PM
Quote from: hardstation on November 03, 2019, 08:51:40 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on November 03, 2019, 08:46:05 PM
Quote from: laoislad on November 02, 2019, 05:01:37 PM
Never in doubt.  ;D
Played brutal but had the worst VAR decision you'll ever see go against us.

VAR was 100% correct. The angle is what makes it look like a bad decision. His arm from the arm pit to his hand was Off-side.

Only parts of the body that you can legally play the ball with count. You can't play it with your arm so your arm is allowed to be "offside".
At least, that's my understanding.

Looks like you are correct!

''The law states that a player is in an offside position if any of their body parts, except the hands and arms, are in the opponents' half of the pitch, and closer to the opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent (the last opponent is usually, but not necessarily, the goalkeeper).''

Good call!

I think what had some going mad was that the live coverage (which was on here in the US) showed the VAR officials (supposedly Atkinson, who is not exactly flavour of the month with Anfield followers!) mucking about with the placement of the lines. The first go around had Firmino onside, then they started playing around with it, which changed it to off.

This may well be the way its done with every offside, and I honestly didn't think much about it during the actual game. (I may be wrong, but did they not do similar playing with the placement for the Son one against Leicester, moving him from "onside" to off as they adjusted it?)

Andy Gray was going apeshit about the Firmino one on whatever channel he is currently employed by (BEin?).

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: J70 on November 04, 2019, 12:39:31 AM

I think what had some going mad was that the live coverage (which was on here in the US) showed the VAR officials (supposedly Atkinson, who is not exactly flavour of the month with Anfield followers!) mucking about with the placement of the lines. The first go around had Firmino onside, then they started playing around with it, which changed it to off.

This may well be the way its done with every offside, and I honestly didn't think much about it during the actual game. (I may be wrong, but did they not do similar playing with the placement for the Son one against Leicester, moving him from "onside" to off as they adjusted it?)

Andy Gray was going apeshit about the Firmino one on whatever channel he is currently employed by (BEin?).

Did you read the link provided above?
Quote from: screenexile on November 03, 2019, 10:53:57 PM
https://twitter.com/dalejohnsonespn/status/1191042293081530368?s=12
Hasta la victoria siempre

Jell 0 Biafra

It's a mess.  It was sold as consistency, but once you have refs in the VAR room, whose opinion on fouls differ, it can't be consistent. 

There were two instances in Everton/Spurs that involved defenders trying to kick the ball, but getting the attacker's leg first.  Son for the Spurs incident and the Brazilian lad for Everton.  Neither given, but both as much pennos as the Mane one last week. 

Watching Everton Spurs today, it was ridiculous; VAR kept interrupting the game for long periods, and according to the commentators, certain angles that the viewer could see were not available to VAR refs. 

laoislad

He's clearly onside and a huge error was made by who ever was looking at VAR. In the end it didn't matter as the mentality monsters pulled it out of the bag once more. It must be sickening for all the ABLs that Liverpool keep doing it week after week.
Love it ;D
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

TabClear

Quote from: laoislad on November 04, 2019, 08:09:45 AM
He's clearly onside and a huge error was made by who ever was looking at VAR. In the end it didn't matter as the mentality monsters pulled it out of the bag once more. It must be sickening for all the ABLs that Liverpool keep doing it week after week.
Love it ;D

It was unclear as far as I am concerned hence the reason why I am ok with sticking with the onfield decision. TV angles etc can be misleading but you would hope the refs have the technology to properly calibrate it.

The Spurs game was a farce. Son's red card is a disgrace and I would hope will be overturned on appeal. The Delle Alli non handball seems bizzare given the new "interpretaion" of the rules. If someone can explain the difference between Watford's penalty and the non penalties yesterday good luck.

I had previously said that VAR should only be used for matters of fact i.e. offside (ironic given Saturday's game but I think that was a really tight call which will not always be the case), ball out of play etc. As soon as you bring in subjectivity and start looking at things in Slow mo it becomes a nightmare and the delay/apprehension for fans when a goal is scored is really hurting the game as a spectacle.

Boycey

Quote from: laoislad on November 04, 2019, 08:09:45 AM
Love it ;D

He's not clearly onside any more than he's clearly offside that's the whole problem with VAR. Im not surprised to find that u think he's onside though with ur rose tinted specs  ;D

J70

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on November 04, 2019, 02:13:12 AM
Quote from: J70 on November 04, 2019, 12:39:31 AM

Did you read the link provided above?
Quote from: screenexile on November 03, 2019, 10:53:57 PM
https://twitter.com/dalejohnsonespn/status/1191042293081530368?s=12

I had not read it, no.

Now I have.

Is that the official protocol?

screenexile

Armamike

Quote from: thewobbler on November 03, 2019, 11:05:10 PM
VAR is shit, and I hate it.

But what I hate most is how Liverpool fans in particular seems to have latched onto bleeding it to death as a topic of conversation. Every last decision involving them goes through a week-long microscope of super slow-mo, "new" angles, charts, diagrams, rules, interpretations of rules, and case history. All of this delivered with an unashamed and belligerent bias.

Lads you can't can't change the decisions after a match. Just leave it alone ffs.

Are you talking about Liverpool fans on here or 'in general'?  Supporters tend to be a bit blinkered but it's the number of pundits calling out this particular decision. 

That's just, like your opinion man.

Gabriel_Hurl

QuoteLiverpool will field different teams in two separate competitions within 24 hours after the EFL announced the date of their Carabao Cup quarter-final with Aston Villa will not be changed.

The Reds will play at Villa on 17 December at 19:45 GMT and will compete in the Club World Cup semi-final in Qatar the following day at 17:30 GMT.

Manager Jurgen Klopp had ruled out the prospect of playing both fixtures.

But the EFL said keeping the date followed a "request from the club".

A Liverpool statement said: "We would like to thank the EFL for their efforts to accommodate us and we can confirm alternative dates were discussed, but ultimately none were considered suitable without compromising the scheduling of the competition itself or placing an undue strain on our playing staff.

"As a result, we will be utilising two playing squads simultaneously, with one squad participating in the Fifa Club World Cup in Qatar and another in the Carabao Cup.

"The club would like to take this opportunity to underline that while this is not an ideal scenario, it is an outcome which was arrived at with the best interests of the competition, our fellow clubs and ourselves as the sole motivating factor."

dec

The semi final in the club world cup is against one of the supposedly weaker confederations. I wonder would they leave some players back for the Villa game that they would then fly out to Qatar for the final on Saturday.

Gabriel_Hurl

Win and a Napoli draw - now top of the group. A good night's work.