NFL Division 1 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mario

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on February 04, 2024, 05:47:40 PMDerry need sort out the right foot free taker, easy one missed today due to this, a man who can consistently  score 45, learn Conor McCloskey to actually shoot (He was in position to score 3 pts from close enough range)Reserve keeper nowhere near as good as Bradley from Glen as Back up.When McGuigan has a bad game he really does, no in-between. Derry still need a target man to slot in between McGuigan and Murphy.
I'd say that's the first scoreable free McGuigan has missed this year. Toner has also hit a few from that side but doesn't always start

HiMucker

Shane McGuigan, all star footballer, probably in the top 3 forwards in the country misses a free, that he scores 19 times out of 20 and we suddenly need a left sided free taker? He's not handing that one over to anyone to hit. Plenty of boys there that could have knocked it over as well.

tbrick18

Derry cruised through that without really getting out of 2nd gear.
Conditions for shooting were awful, it was actually easier shooting into the terraced end than the changing room end, unless the ball went high. That end was fully sheltered from the wind at pitch level. So I wouldn't read much into all the wides for both teams.

The 2 canavans started that game dragging and pulling and fouling and got away with it and the umpires at the terrace end were awful.
Constantly shouting out at players. The disallowed goal was not out, man was over the end line but ball was in. I was right beside it. Goal should have stood. But our full back line totally snuffed them out.

Morgan made a terrific save from cassidy and I thought his kickouts were good, was prob in contention for tyrones best player. But in general, Tyrone were poor. None of their experienced players stood up in my opinion.

For Derry, I thought we dominated almost every position.
Mcloskey has improved since kerry.
Murphy looks a real talent. Paul cassidy much improved.
I thought Niall O had a terrific game, some work rate and tackling....mcfaul too.
We should have had about 3 more goals.

Biggest concern is injuries. Glass was hobbling. Lynch injured, looks like hamstring. Though Scullion did well when he came in. Mckinless I assume was injured too.

I'd guess another win and we'd mostly be safe, another 2 wins and should be guaranteed. So we're in a good position.
I'd like to see the Glen lads rested and I think we have enough strength in depth now to do that in the league.

NotedObserver

Thought the quality was few and far between today on both sides. Mcgrogan and Murphy's derrys stand out and Kennedy prob pick of them for Tyrone.

D canavan probably should have had 6 points with woeful shooting and although McCurry won any ball into him could tell his first game this year. Would have prob took a 6 point defeat at throw in but 2 points in 30 mins was a shocking return.

Silver hill

I thought scullion was nervous and doesn't look like a long term option as no.2. Jack Cassidy is untested at this level, has a booming kick out and is a natural footballer but a bit to go if he's going to go straight in to replace lynch in the short term.
 Niall Loughlin is a superb dead ball kicker so not sure what he's not hitting 45s and frees from the left.
Agree on clucker, needs to develop an end product on the end of all the good work he does. He gets into great positions with his pace.
Murphy was simply outstanding. A joy to see a forward looking to go direct. Scares the life out of defences. Mcfaul was good but needs to cut out the unnecessary ill discipline, cost us a couple of points today.
Tyrone's wides were horrendous, ok, derrys pressure was good on the shooters but at least 10 good point scoring chances were missed from decent positions.
Anyway, 4 points in the bag, pressure's off. Plenty to work on which is what you want.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

First half was positive enough for Tyrone. Very young team away against a settled outfit and with the wind against them, missed a couple of easy chances and all of a sudden 5 down and could easily have collapsed. Instead they worked their way back into it and the 3 point half time lead flattered Derry. Second half however was grim, totally lost their heads when the scores didn't come with the wind. You can put that down to lack of experience for sure, but it did happen a couple of times last season too which raises questions.

Overall though there are a number of very good young players who are looking like they can step up and a number of established players to come back in. Get the mix right and there's a right good team in there. Big question for me is do we have the management to pull that off.

tbrick18

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on February 04, 2024, 10:29:19 PMFirst half was positive enough for Tyrone. Very young team away against a settled outfit and with the wind against them, missed a couple of easy chances and all of a sudden 5 down and could easily have collapsed. Instead they worked their way back into it and the 3 point half time lead flattered Derry. Second half however was grim, totally lost their heads when the scores didn't come with the wind. You can put that down to lack of experience for sure, but it did happen a couple of times last season too which raises questions.

Overall though there are a number of very good young players who are looking like they can step up and a number of established players to come back in. Get the mix right and there's a right good team in there. Big question for me is do we have the management to pull that off.

Generally agree with that except for what you said about half time score.
I feel Derry could have easily been 8 or 9 ahead at half time. Took points when goals were begging.
Personally couldn't believe we were only 3 in front at half time.
Tyrone should have had a goal, good save from a shot that was saveable but a better forward would have nailed it.

Just watched the highlights and the glass goal did look deliberate. However, in real time it was a shot for a point I think and the wind caught it.

tbrick18

On a completely different note, has Sean Cavanagh had a bit of botox?

smort

Quote from: tbrick18 on February 04, 2024, 11:04:43 PM
Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on February 04, 2024, 10:29:19 PMFirst half was positive enough for Tyrone. Very young team away against a settled outfit and with the wind against them, missed a couple of easy chances and all of a sudden 5 down and could easily have collapsed. Instead they worked their way back into it and the 3 point half time lead flattered Derry. Second half however was grim, totally lost their heads when the scores didn't come with the wind. You can put that down to lack of experience for sure, but it did happen a couple of times last season too which raises questions.

Generally agree with that except for what you said about half time score.
I feel Derry could have easily been 8 or 9 ahead at half time. Took points when goals were begging.
Personally couldn't believe we were only 3 in front at half time.
Tyrone should have had a goal, good save from a shot that was saveable but a better forward would have nailed it.

Just watched the highlights and the glass goal did look deliberate. However, in real time it was a shot for a point I think and the wind caught it.

Conor said in post game interview on tg4 that it was a fluke

greatpoint

Quote from: tbrick18 on February 04, 2024, 11:07:24 PMOn a completely different note, has Sean Cavanagh had a bit of botox?

Thought he looked a bit waxy myself alright

Rossfan

If ye don't mind the rest of us trying to get a look in...
A low quality game in the Hyde not helped by a strong wind which made point scoring very hard - not helped by some lads propensity to drive the ball up as high as possible in scoring attempts.

A red card for Donie and an Oscar for Conroy!

The draw probably a major assist towards both being relegated.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

tbrick18

Quote from: Rossfan on February 05, 2024, 08:56:52 AMIf ye don't mind the rest of us trying to get a look in...
A low quality game in the Hyde not helped by a strong wind which made point scoring very hard - not helped by some lads propensity to drive the ball up as high as possible in scoring attempts.

A red card for Donie and an Oscar for Conroy!

The draw probably a major assist towards both being relegated.

I only saw the highlights, but looked a straight red to me.
Both teams will improve imo, when Brigids men have had some time to re-integrate and galway get their key players back.
I'd imagine they'll both be much stronger in the last 3 rounds of the league.

yellowcard

Mayo and Derry both like greyhounds out of the traps in this years League campaign. However it's a long season and Mayo ultimately flattered to deceive during last years League.

I'm not entirely convinced the Mickey Harte appointment will work out for Derry either, if he doesn't win an AI title it will not be considered a success. That's a very high barometer for success and I'm not yet convinced Derry will have what it takes in the patter stages but the performance of Murphy yesterday is definitely a step in the right direction for them.

Monaghan flopped again when it comes to facing Kerry after a great performance the previous week against the AI champions. They are the great survivors but you never know what you'll get from them either. Jack O'Connor introduced the 2 Clifford's back yesterday and Kerry are a different team with them in it. I think they'll be the team to beat this year in summer time providing they stay fit.

Galway are probably the side who are under achieving the most. They probably have the best set of forwards in Ireland yet managed a paltry 9 points against Roscommon. They are epitomised by Shane Walsh who always looks like a great player but yet far too seldom delivers what his ability suggests that he is capable of.

Estimator

Decent, if not overly impressive from Derry.  Butchered numerous scoring opportunities, by adding an extra hand pass instead of fisting/tapping it over the bar from 21yrds out.  But its league football and getting the wins are what really matters.

Tyrone were well in it at half time, silly frees give them the opportunity to stay in touch.  Morgan's free off the ground in the first half was superbly judged.  Not sure why they didn't kick on in the second half.  They didn't go after Scullions kicks outs as much as I would've expected as well.

Ref wasn't fantastic, looked up once and spotted a bit of shirt pulling, give the free and then it never happened again for the duration of the game.  And the curse that is two or three players surrounding the player in possession. Sometimes its over carrying and sometimes is it a free for the player in possession. No consistency in that at all.

For Derry, Baker and Murphy getting more experience at this level is a good thing.  I'd go so far as to say Murphy's performances had an influence on Toner when he came on.  When Toner got the ball, he turned and headed for goal instead of maintaining possession with an easy backward handpass. Loughlin had a better outing as well.  Cassidy wasn't at his best.

Maybe some Screen bias, but I think that Scullion is the best option to have outside of Lynch.  He hasn't had the opportunity to play much football in the last couple of years due to county commitments.  I think the relegation playoff against Lavey and the final league game against Cork, were the only two games he played between January and July last year.  He played one McKenna group game so far this year, and 15mins yesterday. Aside from one kick out over the sideline (Morgan did that too) and one kick pass that went astray (Lynch did that too) he seemed comfortable in that role.  Don't forget there are some on here who would've liked to see Lynch replaced over that last couple of year.

If Lynch and McKinless are out for a run of games, I'd say McFaul would move to CHB and then a fight for place in the forwards between Emmett Bradley, Declan Cassidy, Niall Toner and Cormac Murphy.  Which is a much better place than we were last year.
Ulster League Champions 2009

blasmere

Quote from: Estimator on February 05, 2024, 10:15:31 AMDecent, if not overly impressive from Derry.  Butchered numerous scoring opportunities, by adding an extra hand pass instead of fisting/tapping it over the bar from 21yrds out.  But its league football and getting the wins are what really matters.

Tyrone were well in it at half time, silly frees give them the opportunity to stay in touch.  Morgan's free off the ground in the first half was superbly judged.  Not sure why they didn't kick on in the second half.  They didn't go after Scullions kicks outs as much as I would've expected as well.

Ref wasn't fantastic, looked up once and spotted a bit of shirt pulling, give the free and then it never happened again for the duration of the game.  And the curse that is two or three players surrounding the player in possession. Sometimes its over carrying and sometimes is it a free for the player in possession. No consistency in that at all.

For Derry, Baker and Murphy getting more experience at this level is a good thing.  I'd go so far as to say Murphy's performances had an influence on Toner when he came on.  When Toner got the ball, he turned and headed for goal instead of maintaining possession with an easy backward handpass. Loughlin had a better outing as well.  Cassidy wasn't at his best.

Maybe some Screen bias, but I think that Scullion is the best option to have outside of Lynch.  He hasn't had the opportunity to play much football in the last couple of years due to county commitments.  I think the relegation playoff against Lavey and the final league game against Cork, were the only two games he played between January and July last year.  He played one McKenna group game so far this year, and 15mins yesterday. Aside from one kick out over the sideline (Morgan did that too) and one kick pass that went astray (Lynch did that too) he seemed comfortable in that role.  Don't forget there are some on here who would've liked to see Lynch replaced over that last couple of year.

If Lynch and McKinless are out for a run of games, I'd say McFaul would move to CHB and then a fight for place in the forwards between Emmett Bradley, Declan Cassidy, Niall Toner and Cormac Murphy.  Which is a much better place than we were last year.

Any relation to Tony?
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree