TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boycey

Quote from: BennyCake on November 14, 2018, 11:10:12 AM
Ok so I'm a few years behind. Have 4 series of Breaking Bad on dvd. Currently in series 2, but sweet jaysus, it's an absolute chore to sit through. Im finding it so slow and bland. I'm really resisting the urge to fling it into the back of the fire, but I keep at it hoping it becomes this great show everyone has talked about

Am I the only one who thinks this?

Funny, I took 2 or 3 goes at it before I got hooked and then couldn't get enough of it. Although I think if I was in the 2nd season and still not enjoying it I think I'd have given up  ;D

Ethan Tremblay

Persevere with it BennyCake, I was similar at the beginning watching it, but although it's the type of show they don't make anymore.  I've finally gotten around to Better Call Saul and find it to be stacks better IMO. 

Also finished off the sinner season 2, very good watching for a weekend binge. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

tyrone girl

Ok so I'm a few years behind. Have 4 series of Breaking Bad on dvd. Currently in series 2, but sweet jaysus, it's an absolute chore to sit through. Im finding it so slow and bland. I'm really resisting the urge to fling it into the back of the fire, but I keep at it hoping it becomes this great show everyone has talked about

I found it the same. I kept trying to stick with it as everyone raved about the deadly show it was. It was feeling like a chore to get through it so i think halfway through season 3 we just left it and watched no more.

tyrone girl

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on November 14, 2018, 11:33:26 AM
Persevere with it BennyCake, I was similar at the beginning watching it, but although it's the type of show they don't make anymore.  I've finally gotten around to Better Call Saul and find it to be stacks better IMO. 

Also finished off the sinner season 2, very good watching for a weekend binge.

Thanks for reminding me of sinner season 2. I loved the first one and knew the second was due out in November sometime. Thats the weekend viewing sorted!

thewobbler

I've often thought that while Breaking Bad was good, it only became essential viewing when the background characters of Mike, Saul and Gus took on prominent roles.

The main cast were generally unpleasant and hard to root for - the female leads in particular - while the early season antagonists were too OTT. Sociopaths are always more interesting than psychopaths.

Gabriel_Hurl

Just finished American Crime Story: People vs OJ Simpson - thought it was terrific.

Sure everyone knows how it plays out - but being young at the time never realized how badly the prosecution bungled the case.

Gonna try the 2nd season now - about the death of Gianni Versace

themac_23

Quote from: thewobbler on November 14, 2018, 12:49:27 PM
I've often thought that while Breaking Bad was good, it only became essential viewing when the background characters of Mike, Saul and Gus took on prominent roles.

The main cast were generally unpleasant and hard to root for - the female leads in particular - while the early season antagonists were too OTT. Sociopaths are always more interesting than psychopaths.

I've been rewatching BB since better call Saul finished there, I love it, Walt is so
Manipulative, you start to realise things about him when you watch it again, when you see how he uses Jesse for his own gain as has him as his little puppet when everyone is trying to advise Jesse to go his own way and get rid of Walt is first class viewing

HiMucker

Quote from: thewobbler on November 14, 2018, 12:49:27 PM

Id agree with that. Seasons 1 and 2 weren't all that good.

Minder

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on November 14, 2018, 12:53:33 PM
Just finished American Crime Story: People vs OJ Simpson - thought it was terrific.

Sure everyone knows how it plays out - but being young at the time never realized how badly the prosecution bungled the case.

There is a great 5 part ESPN one Gabe if you haven't seen it, goes into even more detail, think it's the 30 for 30 people. OJ: Made in America
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Boycey

Narcos series 4 drops onto Netflix on Friday in one go!!

8)

nrico2006

Season 1 was boring as hell. Gets really good from 3 on.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: nrico2006 on November 14, 2018, 10:08:46 PM

Season 1 was boring as hell. Gets really good from 3 on.
I was tempted to give up after the first couple of Seasons , but glad I stuck it out , I didnt find any of the main characters in any way likeable  but it  really did improve after  , Mike  Gus & Saul  etc coming more to the fore really did add to the show

Therealdonald

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on November 14, 2018, 12:53:33 PM

Not half as good in my opinion. If you're interested in that type of genre, there's 1 about the Menendez bros...compelling viewing

Harold Disgracey

Watched the first episode of Narcos: Mexico, absolutely superb.

spuds

In line with discussion about well received series that you have certain level of expectation from, have just finished first series of Prison Break and was a real struggle to complete. Poor acting, far fetched, thinly written and very few credible characters even. Unlikely to continue but interested if others think it improves or is it "not for me"!
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard