Mayo V Galway - Connacht Final Thread

Started by stephenite, June 24, 2009, 01:15:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Quote from: kevmy on July 06, 2009, 09:42:58 PM
Quote from: heffo on July 06, 2009, 08:57:07 PM
Conor Mortimer was on Newstalk sounding pretty pissed off and confirmed that it was an off the ball strike that done him and that there was no clash of heads..

Really Conor? I don't think he'd be getting involved, not from the club, was playing for his own club at the time of the incident and shouldn't be giving media interviews 2 weeks before Connacht Final on issued not relating to that.

Are you sure it wasn't David Brady - he's there usual pundit and would be from Ballina as well.

On second thoughts Brady would make a lot more sense - I just thought I recognised the voice - was only listening to him for a minute..

moysider

Quote from: heffo on July 06, 2009, 09:45:06 PM
Quote from: kevmy on July 06, 2009, 09:42:58 PM
Quote from: heffo on July 06, 2009, 08:57:07 PM
Conor Mortimer was on Newstalk sounding pretty pissed off and confirmed that it was an off the ball strike that done him and that there was no clash of heads..

Really Conor? I don't think he'd be getting involved, not from the club, was playing for his own club at the time of the incident and shouldn't be giving media interviews 2 weeks before Connacht Final on issued not relating to that.

Are you sure it wasn't David Brady - he's there usual pundit and would be from Ballina as well.

On second thoughts Brady would make a lot more sense - I just thought I recognised the voice - was only listening to him for a minute..

It was Brady. It ll be interesting to see how Maughan deals with this in his column this week. While no blame can be left at Maughan s door he needs to explain why he went on national radio and volunteered that Ronan got injured in a clash of heads. Clearly a fabrication. He did nt need to say anything. Nobody asked him about the club game. They were interested in his views on the County scene. Maybe he was misinformed about what happened. That would be ok then. But if he was spinning and getting in a preemtive damage limitation strike it shows very poor judgement on his part. He s too big a figure in the game to be messing about. He needs to explain what he was at and County Board should be asking him.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on July 06, 2009, 08:47:29 PM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on July 06, 2009, 08:37:09 PM
Quote from: moysider on July 06, 2009, 08:27:23 PM
Quote from: outthecountry on July 06, 2009, 11:33:48 AM
Huge loss but not the end of the world. Able bodied replacements to come in and the mix of harte, parsons, heaney, o'shea and barry moran should be enough to see of a mediocre galway midfield and hopefully the injury isn't so bad for McG to return for the  Q/F stage should we progress as we should.

It s not just as simple as replacing him. We ll be weaker as a result of his loss and bench impact will be reduced as well. As well as that there is going to be huge fuss and an investigation is looming. So far I ve heard some very credible eye- witnesses lined up. If they saw what I saw then I would nt like to be in that lads shoes.

credible eye witnesses or not moysider unless there is video evidence not a lot can be done ( not condoning what was done because anyone that breaks another lads jaw deserves to have the book thrown at them) we have enough bad experience of our own lads getting their jaws broken and its not nice (whatever about football lads have their lives to live jobs to go to) not the any of them got the sort of publicity that this particular incident will get. as you said there seems to be a lot of bad feeling i know for a fact  one player from cross who was genuinely concerned about ronan enquired how he and was was told to fcuk off . if both teams got through to the knock out stages and were to meet again god knows what could happen

World War 3 would erupt.

Don#t worry, Knockmore will ensure there'll be no WW3! ;)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

rosnarun

QuoteIt was Brady. It ll be interesting to see how Maughan deals with this in his column this week. While no blame can be left at Maughan s door he needs to explain why he went on national radio and volunteered that Ronan got injured in a clash of heads. Clearly a fabrication. He did nt need to say anything. Nobody asked him about the club game. They were interested in his views on the County scene. Maybe he was misinformed about what happened. That would be ok then. But if he was spinning and getting in a preemtive damage limitation strike it shows very poor judgement on his part. He s too big a figure in the game to be messing about. He needs to explain what he was at and County Board should be asking him.

how has this become a maughan thing ?. for all we know that vould well be what he was informed. the issue is between Magarrity the cross player and the authorities. Sporting and civil. keep to the facts and stop trying to work off old grievances
playing a round of championship games was the correct thing to do fir the sake of all the club players i the county but Management must have been aware injuries were a possiblity as they always are . well now see the strenght of the mayo squad . possible replacements are barry moran parsons o shea x2  barry kelly and ciaran conroy so this is a serious set back but should not change the outcome of the connacht final
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

rosnarun

on a more positive note my galway sources tell me PJOyce summoned the management team to his lair after the sligo match and demanded a more  physical emphasis to training or else face the consequences and also of course he called Nicky back into the squad at the same time.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 06, 2009, 11:28:11 PM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on July 06, 2009, 08:47:29 PM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on July 06, 2009, 08:37:09 PM
Quote from: moysider on July 06, 2009, 08:27:23 PM
Quote from: outthecountry on July 06, 2009, 11:33:48 AM
Huge loss but not the end of the world. Able bodied replacements to come in and the mix of harte, parsons, heaney, o'shea and barry moran should be enough to see of a mediocre galway midfield and hopefully the injury isn't so bad for McG to return for the  Q/F stage should we progress as we should.

It s not just as simple as replacing him. We ll be weaker as a result of his loss and bench impact will be reduced as well. As well as that there is going to be huge fuss and an investigation is looming. So far I ve heard some very credible eye- witnesses lined up. If they saw what I saw then I would nt like to be in that lads shoes.

credible eye witnesses or not moysider unless there is video evidence not a lot can be done ( not condoning what was done because anyone that breaks another lads jaw deserves to have the book thrown at them) we have enough bad experience of our own lads getting their jaws broken and its not nice (whatever about football lads have their lives to live jobs to go to) not the any of them got the sort of publicity that this particular incident will get. as you said there seems to be a lot of bad feeling i know for a fact  one player from cross who was genuinely concerned about ronan enquired how he and was was told to fcuk off . if both teams got through to the knock out stages and were to meet again god knows what could happen

World War 3 would erupt.

Don#t worry, Knockmore will ensure there'll be no WW3! ;)

Nice one Farandeelin and you may well be right. In the event of Cross/Ballina meeting again, its hard to know what to expect. Hard to see it degenerate any worse than the last 2 championship meetings which were poison in parts. Maybe if this is dealth with appropriately then people might come to their senses. I doubt it though. I suspect this lad will be feted as a kind of hero and many would see it as manliness and stuff. And a townie always fair game.  A suspension will create a martyr, but a long one must happen. I was disappointed that the Cross people I talked to after game did nt want to know about the incident. All they saw was a win. If the shoe was on the other foot... I m delighted with the restraint  the Ballina fans there showed at the end. The perpetrator walked down the tunnel without 1 catcall though we all knew the score at that stage, and several stayed there just to show a silent presence as it were. But a lot of people were seething underneath.

I m still shocked by the abuse Ronan got from some Cross supporters in 06. It was as if he was the only one that calved v Kerry. Maybe the Cross player that spent that match roaring in his ear and clenching his fist in his face would have done better.

Now that Ronan is out of CF maybe the lad that lamped him might step in and jump with Coleman, Cullinane or Bergin. See how tough he really is. That would be some punishment for him.

mayoman dan

Ronan is  a huge loss ahead of the CF. Dont think Heaney will start MF he will be on Joyce he normally does well on him.
Harte might go there with BJP or Andy taking the wing.Personally i think Harte will go 2 MF as Heaney will be in the HB
line to deal with PJ and Andy seems to be a favourite of JOM.Heard Kilcoyne had a good game at the weekend would
like to see him and mort working off O Shea in the FF line 3 lads capable of puting up big scores.

moysider

Quote from: rosnarun on July 07, 2009, 12:00:49 AM
QuoteIt was Brady. It ll be interesting to see how Maughan deals with this in his column this week. While no blame can be left at Maughan s door he needs to explain why he went on national radio and volunteered that Ronan got injured in a clash of heads. Clearly a fabrication. He did nt need to say anything. Nobody asked him about the club game. They were interested in his views on the County scene. Maybe he was misinformed about what happened. That would be ok then. But if he was spinning and getting in a preemtive damage limitation strike it shows very poor judgement on his part. He s too big a figure in the game to be messing about. He needs to explain what he was at and County Board should be asking him.

how has this become a maughan thing ?. for all we know that vould well be what he was informed. the issue is between Magarrity the cross player and the authorities. Sporting and civil. keep to the facts and stop trying to work off old grievances
playing a round of championship games was the correct thing to do fir the sake of all the club players i the county but Management must have been aware injuries were a possiblity as they always are . well now see the strenght of the mayo squad . possible replacements are barry moran parsons o shea x2  barry kelly and ciaran conroy so this is a serious set back but should not change the outcome of the connacht final

Bulls**t Rosnarun. Read my posts properly before you come along and accuse me something I did nt express. I have never had an old grievance with Maughan. In fact I ve always been someone that saw Maughan for the better. He s no case to answer about that incident. But why shoot his mouth off on radio. If he was nt sure of his facts he should have kept schum. He needs to explain why he got his facts wrong. He s not just an ordinary garden club manager. He has access to national radio and there is a suspision he may have used that opportunity to muddy waters. If so, big mistake. If he was misinformed somehow and still in the dark an hour after the game finished on national radio and can explain how, fair enough. I m sure he does nt need you to bat for him. He s got a column to explain it.

moysider

Quote from: mayoman dan on July 07, 2009, 12:33:54 AM
Ronan is  a huge loss ahead of the CF. Dont think Heaney will start MF he will be on Joyce he normally does well on him.
Harte might go there with BJP or Andy taking the wing.Personally i think Harte will go 2 MF as Heaney will be in the HB
line to deal with PJ and Andy seems to be a favourite of JOM.Heard Kilcoyne had a good game at the weekend would
like to see him and mort working off O Shea in the FF line 3 lads capable of puting up big scores.

If we re good enough we ll beat Galway. McGarrity a big loss of course. Heaney must stay mid field, especially now Ronan out. For me David mom v Ros. He covered and worked back and supported and worked ball out. Priceless stuff. I ve criticised this management about lots but they got that one right and Heaney looked like he was enjoying himself, away from always having the rescue mission in defence, which wasted his best years. It allowed Ronan to play a more advanced game and he came up with assists and scores. Parsons is the only viable sub for Ronan. To put Harte to midfield and Heaney back would be just going back to damage limitation. There s a phrase for it. Underdog football. Let Harte drive forward from wing, his best position, and help out midfield. Heaney to sweep deep when necessary. If Howley cant handle Joyce we ll find out soon enough, and we need to find out. If he s going to be a top 6 then he s going to meet better than Joyce at the twilight of his career, with the utmost respect to the great one. If we re good enough let s go and win it.

mayoman dan

I see your point Moysider and i agree with you but i think JOM may see things
another way horses for courses. Harte is having a tremendous season in the
green and red and i hope the HF line is left as Harte Dillon and Trevor.
Will Howley start at no6? Is Cunniffe back from injury?

GBXII

Quote from: moysider on July 07, 2009, 12:53:02 AM
Quote from: mayoman dan on July 07, 2009, 12:33:54 AM

If we re good enough we ll beat Galway. McGarrity a big loss of course. Heaney must stay mid field, especially now Ronan out. For me David mom v Ros. He covered and worked back and supported and worked ball out. Priceless stuff. I ve criticised this management about lots but they got that one right and Heaney looked like he was enjoying himself, away from always having the rescue mission in defence, which wasted his best years. It allowed Ronan to play a more advanced game and he came up with assists and scores. Parsons is the only viable sub for Ronan. To put Harte to midfield and Heaney back would be just going back to damage limitation. There s a phrase for it. Underdog football. Let Harte drive forward from wing, his best position, and help out midfield. Heaney to sweep deep when necessary. If Howley cant handle Joyce we ll find out soon enough, and we need to find out. If he s going to be a top 6 then he s going to meet better than Joyce at the twilight of his career, with the utmost respect to the great one. If we re good enough let s go and win it.

Excellent post. Totally agree that Heaney was the stand out player against Ros, and he's a cert to start at mid field with Parsons against Galway. If T Cunniffe makes it id say he will start at 6 because he gave PJ nothing in the league game and proved he can do the man marking job..if he doesnt im sure Howley will be fine at 6 also. 10 or 11 is Harte best position.. personally I like him at 11 because hes got got vision and can make a pass but JOM seems to want to play Trevor there...

GBXII

Quote from: mayoman dan on July 07, 2009, 01:02:40 AM

Cunniffe still getting physio and didnt play club at the weekend so I'd say he's 50/50 at the moment..

moysider

Even if CunIffe back [and his recovery slow I believe] Johnno will go with Howley. Especially after his visit to Knockmore on Sat. evening. Howley drove forward in last 10 minutes and settled the match. I d love to see him play with the same abandon v Joyce instead of just putting a minder on Joyce. Cuniffe does nt bring the same physicality to 6 and i believe we ll find Cuniffes future will not be in a central position.

GBXII

Quote from: moysider on July 07, 2009, 01:14:50 AM

Even if CunIffe back [and his recovery slow I believe] Johnno will go with Howley. Especially after his visit to Knockmore on Sat. evening. Howley drove forward in last 10 minutes and settled the match. I d love to see him play with the same abandon v Joyce instead of just putting a minder on Joyce. Cuniffe does nt bring the same physicality to 6 and i believe we ll find Cuniffes future will not be in a central position.

Not to sure about the last point about Cunniffe. I know he's not as physical as Howley but I think he has better attributes over all compared with Howley. He's faster, has better positioning(I think), can get a score, and he seemed to be playing well there and improving all through the league against quality number 11's.

moysider

Quote from: rosnarun on July 07, 2009, 12:12:37 AM
on a more positive note my galway sources tell me PJOyce summoned the management team to his lair after the sligo match and demanded a more  physical emphasis to training or else face the consequences and also of course he called Nicky back into the squad at the same time.

Lovely, lovely, lovely. Would nt be a bit surprised if this is true. Sammon has nt much choice but to go with it I suppose. Now he probably realises what Ford and Johnno got.