Stag do

Started by haveaharp, January 08, 2009, 01:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: snoopdog on August 03, 2023, 01:38:20 PM
Quick question lads. Not q stag do. Just a group of lads looking for a good spot for the weekend.  What's athlone or mullingar like. We've done all the obvious places before.
Athlone punches massively above its weight for bars and restaurants and is fairly compact. Dead Centre Brewery is nice down by the river and a pint of Dead Pixel is hard to beat when the sun is out. Does decent pizzas and small bites too. Sean's is compulsory. If you like Thai food Kin Khao is good, would also recommend The Fatted Calf. Leftbank Bistro is lovely and beside  Sean's and The Snug which is worth a visit too.

andoireabu

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 29, 2023, 11:59:43 PM
Any tips for bars (and dare I say it clubs for the more mature traveller) etc. in Carrick on Shannon?
The Poitín Still is a good bar for during the day, Murtagh's for the more club feel I think. Hard to go wrong though, great wee town from what I remember of it
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: andoireabu on August 03, 2023, 09:55:13 PM
Any tips for bars (and dare I say it clubs for the more mature traveller) etc. in Carrick on Shannon?
The Poitín Still is a good bar for during the day, Murtagh's for the more club feel I think. Hard to go wrong though, great wee town from what I remember of it
Cheers. I'll be trying to avoid clubs as too old for that shite but one of the lads always mad to get into them for a look about!

trueblue1234

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 03, 2023, 10:04:24 PM
Cheers. I'll be trying to avoid clubs as too old for that shite but one of the lads always mad to get into them for a look about!

Of course!! 😀
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Mc Hugh's and Flynns are also two great bars

snoopdog

Cheers Lads. Looks like Athlone is a goer. Thanks. .

bogball88

Quote from: 03,05,08 on August 04, 2023, 10:32:34 AM

Mc Hugh's and Flynns are also two great bars
Glancy's for the breakfast and a few early rollover pints of course

Puckoon

We were at a campsite in BattleBridge, took a couple taxis into Carrick one night - plenty of pints.

Woke up in the morning, no sign of the brother and about 10 missed calls from the mother. Apparently the brother had staggered through the front door of the home house at about 4am back in Omagh.

He'd stayed behind in Carrick chasing tail, finally hailed himself a taxi - and fuckin said Blacklion instead of Battlebridge. Ended up in Blacklion, realized his mistake. Fell into company in a bar with a taxi driver who was headed to Fintona - made it to Fintona and got a taxi back to Omagh where he spent the night. Mammy drove him back to Carrick for the rest of the weekend.

Never ceases to make me chuckle.

Tubberman

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 03, 2023, 09:49:36 PM
Quick question lads. Not q stag do. Just a group of lads looking for a good spot for the weekend.  What's athlone or mullingar like. We've done all the obvious places before.
Athlone punches massively above its weight for bars and restaurants and is fairly compact. Dead Centre Brewery is nice down by the river and a pint of Dead Pixel is hard to beat when the sun is out. Does decent pizzas and small bites too. Sean's is compulsory. If you like Thai food Kin Khao is good, would also recommend The Fatted Calf. Leftbank Bistro is lovely and beside  Sean's and The Snug which is worth a visit too.

Try Flannerys in Athlone as well, great pub. Kinda traditional, yet off the wall. Good music, unconventional barlady and her dogs! They even made a film about the place...
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

snoopdog

Quote from: Tubberman on August 04, 2023, 09:48:46 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 03, 2023, 09:49:36 PM

Try Flannerys in Athlone as well, great pub. Kinda traditional, yet off the wall. Good music, unconventional barlady and her dogs! They even made a film about the place...
Cheers. Will do