Coaching Kids.

Started by laoislad, October 12, 2016, 01:12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on October 13, 2016, 02:54:31 PM
A ball per child is a must starting off

Some will need lighter and softer balls
A ball per player is a brilliant start at any age. In hurling I insist upon it. In football I insist on one between two players.

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 13, 2016, 05:14:08 PM

A ball per player is a brilliant start at any age. In hurling I insist upon it. In football I insist on one between two players.

This might explain why there is feck all passing in Hurling....

...and too much in football!

;)
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

Quote from: muppet on October 13, 2016, 08:50:51 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on October 13, 2016, 05:14:08 PM

This might explain why there is feck all passing in Hurling....

...and too much in football!

;)

It's about familiarity with the ball, and skills development. Passing comes later :)

laoislad

Thanks for all the advice everyone. First session is tomorrow evening.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

David McKeown

I've been coaching now for 10 years and the number one thing I would encourage is get as much coach education as you can. Initially about 15 years ago I got my UEFA B licence with the IFA but it's got far too expensive to keep it up to date with them so about 3 years I started again with the IFA and have to say their courses are excellent, much more convenient and better run. The level of support the development officers offer is fantastic. I strongly recommend contacting your local officer and getting as many coaches as you can through at least the basic courses.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

manfromdelmonte

Don't be afraid to go to coaching courses run by different sports

You always pick up a few little ideas

laoislad

Just a little update on this. Things have really moved on since I last posted.
We have been onto the FAI and they were very interested in what we are doing. They got back to us during the week and they have six coaches that are interested in working with us and they are drawing up a roster so we will always have two coaches on a Saturday.
They have also invited a head coach that worked with the Paralympic football team to observe our training at one of the sessions.
I know it sounds like we are taking it a bit serious but the emphasis really is on the kids having fun and they all seem to be really enjoying it.
My little fella gets very excited on a Saturday when I start getting him ready to bring him.
I can't claim any credit for the FAI involment as it was actually one of the Mothers who took it upon herself to contact them. So fair play to her and the FAI for helping out.
It will probably mean those of us that were helping out with training will be taking a back seat now but that's OK if these FAI coaches do work out.

Billys Boots

QuoteI can't claim any credit for the FAI involment as it was actually one of the Mothers who took it upon herself to contact them. So fair play to her and the FAI for helping out.

So you just ignored me completely, after asking for advice?  :P
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

BenDover

Any ideas for encouraging kids to use their non-preferred side. At our U8 session last night we finished of with a kick passing drill and I encouraged everyone to try the non-preferred side. The reaction I got from numerous kids, I can't... After a bit of coaching and encouragement a fair few of them were kicking away but I could just see how uncomfortable it was for them. I'm after anything you guys may have to help.

stew

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 12, 2016, 01:30:23 PM
Coaching at 5 or 6 should be all about fun and games that involve their learning how to control their bodies. Bulldog, Tag, Pull the tail, Cups and Saucers, obstacle courses etc etc etc. Look up you tube for games for A(gility) B(alance) C(oordination), R(unning) J(umping) T(hrowing).

If you absolutely want them to be kicking a ball around at some stage, then have either a ball each, and make up little games for them to kick the ball through obstacles or whatever, or else have very small sided little conditioned games to make sure everyone gets a kick.

Here's just a quick sample. GAA's learning portal has some good stuff on ABCs as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbJ-GBufLNk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw-dvhm6wK0

If it is football you are coaching you absolutely need to let them play for ten or fifteen minutes at the end of practice.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

laoislad

Quote from: Billys Boots on November 18, 2016, 12:53:34 PM
QuoteI can't claim any credit for the FAI involment as it was actually one of the Mothers who took it upon herself to contact them. So fair play to her and the FAI for helping out.

So you just ignored me completely, after asking for advice?  :P
I suggested it at the next session and she said she already had rang them! Typical woman taking over.....

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: BenDover on November 18, 2016, 01:07:01 PM
Any ideas for encouraging kids to use their non-preferred side. At our U8 session last night we finished of with a kick passing drill and I encouraged everyone to try the non-preferred side. The reaction I got from numerous kids, I can't... After a bit of coaching and encouragement a fair few of them were kicking away but I could just see how uncomfortable it was for them. I'm after anything you guys may have to help.
Are ye training indoors this time of year?  If yes, get them to take off their football boot / runner from their dominant foot - kids of that age dont like kicking a ball without a boot - I know its a bit left-field but it works for most - downside is you might have to tie a few laces afterwards!!!  :)

BenDover

Very little coaching done atm tbh we have 2 halls on the go with 5 a side matches (football in one and handpass only in the other). Last night one of our halls we had to get out of 15mins early so that's why we did a bit of kickpassing. good idea will give it a try next week.

JimStynes

Anyone want to help out in my school?  ;) it's a handy number.