Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnysboys

Quote from: downtothecore on August 08, 2022, 08:27:25 PM
Best option at present for the role... good luck to them.

Well we finally have who the so called football experts wanted. Let's see how he gets on. Will be interesting to see do the Burren lads commit after his shenanigans in the league game in early July.
Division 3 title and a win in Ulster or it's not a successful season IMO.

thebar

Quote from: Johnnysboys on August 08, 2022, 09:00:25 PM
Quote from: downtothecore on August 08, 2022, 08:27:25 PM
Best option at present for the role... good luck to them.

Well we finally have who the so called football experts wanted. Let's see how he gets on. Will be interesting to see do the Burren lads commit after his shenanigans in the league game in early July.
Division 3 title and a win in Ulster or it's not a successful season IMO.
I'd near swear you wished he failed. Time will tell but for now we should get behind them and give them all the support needed.

African Sunset

Laverty works in Dublin during the week which is some hike coming from Kilcoo each day. On top of this he wants to remain involved with the U-20 and still tog out for the club.

Sounds like he's taking on a lot but why is someone who is untested at club level being given the county job?

SHEEDY

Best of luck to him. big job on, hopefully can get the best players in the county to commit.
nil satis nisi optimum

snoopdog

Good luck to him. Needs to be given time. Massive job to be done here. Leave him at it for at least 5 years

DuffGael

Let's hope all the players give it a real go, we need them all in the panel

downtothecore

Yeah Jonnyboys I can see your not a fan...  currently when it comes to ulster championship most experts talk of Tyrone, donegal derry monaghan and armagh. Down are not even considered in the equation. I'd expect under these boys we should start to see signs of gaining some respect next year in ulster and yes the main target is getting to div 3

thewobbler

Quote from: African Sunset on August 08, 2022, 09:25:22 PM
Laverty works in Dublin during the week which is some hike coming from Kilcoo each day. On top of this he wants to remain involved with the U-20 and still tog out for the club.

Sounds like he's taking on a lot but why is someone who is untested at club level being given the county job?

He's more than qualified as a coach and is the first man since Pete McGrath to win a provincial title as a Down minor/u20/senior manager. Couple that with a lack of candidates from those who have ploughed furrows at club level the past 10-15 years, and he's the obvious choice.

——

I wish Conor and co all the best. Kilcoo have shown it possible to beat everyone at club level without a seam of big men running through their side (that Finbarr's semi final being a classic case). Let's hope he finds a way to inject that understanding into the county team. An altogether tougher task no doubt, but I've a funny feeling there'll be a clearout for the first time in a long time, in trying to form a shape and style that allows Down to progress.

Down Follower

Excellent news. Wish him all the best. He needs to be given time to bring his ideas through and I think staying on with the 20's shows that is the plan.

Sandstorm

Well Johnnysboys, I would imagine that your opinion it will not be a successful year unless Down win the All Ireland and even  if they do you will find something to bitch about. Sad person.

Johnnysboys

Quote from: Sandstorm on August 09, 2022, 12:04:09 AM
Well Johnnysboys, I would imagine that your opinion it will not be a successful year unless Down win the All Ireland and even  if they do you will find something to bitch about. Sad person.

No where in my post have I mentioned an All Ireland - I'm not deluded like others on here.. The county board and 90% of supporters have gotten their man to take us out of the mire.. division 3 title is not too much to ask and one win in Ulster (draw being favourable) - I feel I'm being realistic. Back room team are "interesting" to say the least. I wonder will there be anyone from south down added to the ticket in the coming days. 

Hard2Listen2

Quote from: Johnnysboys on August 09, 2022, 12:19:24 AM
Quote from: Sandstorm on August 09, 2022, 12:04:09 AM

No where in my post have I mentioned an All Ireland - I'm not deluded like others on here.. The county board and 90% of supporters have gotten their man to take us out of the mire.. division 3 title is not too much to ask and one win in Ulster (draw being favourable) - I feel I'm being realistic. Back room team are "interesting" to say the least. I wonder will there be anyone from south down added to the ticket in the coming days.
[/quote

Are An Riocht & Tullylish not south enough for your liking?

Truth hurts

Let's get behind Conor and the team, hopefully, he can change the mindset of the players and get everyone playing for Down. The talent is in the county to be competing at a much higher level. Darryl Brannian will hopefully go now.

Ethan Tremblay

From an outsider perspective this is an interesting appointment, was it done to appease the Kilcoo contingent or does he have a decent pedigree for managing?

Down seem to be a basket case so his first job would be to root out those that are not towing the line, and get the rest into a winning mindset.  Down are too big of a county not to be competing to some higher standard like. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

SCFC

From another outsider's perspective, just wondering how many of last year's squad would be kept on? Would there be resentment towards the Kilcoo players like Eugene Branigan who turned down the county jersey last year and will now presumably be asked in?