Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaelforce123

Teams downing tools after 5/6 games 😂. Wild thing is that people actually believe this sort of thing would happen in a Div 1 club. Each club has managers under pressure to win games and will not down tools. Unfortunately was in Mayobridge last night in what was terrible conditions for both teams and a hot and heavy affair with alot going on off the ball and on the ball. Ref let alot go but did red card one of the Barrs in second half, harsh enough maybe. Wind was a huge factor, clonduff keeper made 3 maybe 4 big saves, Corey got injured with about 10 left but you can bet your house the both teams went toe to toe and bar Mayobridge wides and clonduff keeper saves it was an even game that Clonduff did better with in the terrible conditions. Burren have not been playing well. Defensive style of football not suiting them but look at the players they have out every week, full side available except for 2 notable injuries. Top 4 came down to a tight affair with Kilcoo running away with it but it was exciting for the top 4 and now the bottom 4 games will be the ones to watch for next few weeks

Down Follower

It seems to be a very competitive league this year tbf bar rostrevor and castlewellan but even they are giving most of the other teams a run for their money.
Bryansford defo the big surprises and seem to have progressed a lot from last year.
Looks like the Bottom 8 will be a dog fight now with a few decent teams going to drop down to div 2.
Top 4 - hard to work out how it will go. Pressure basically off for them so almost back to pre season.

urbangael

I wonder do the good people of Mayobridge feel they are getting value for money with Poacher and Clarke. Surely there are better in-house men in that club that would get better performances..

Johnnysboys

Quote from: urbangael on June 25, 2022, 10:28:29 PM
I wonder do the good people of Mayobridge feel they are getting value for money with Poacher and Clarke. Surely there are better in-house men in that club that would get better performances..

They ain't the only club asking questions about management at present. Despite what upandwin thinks - Burren do mind losing games. They were missing a few lads last night who are on holidays/travelling but they won't like the fact they are 6 points off the lead already going into phase two. Rostrevor are asking questions about management too - performances are improving but results staying the same.

Hard2Listen2

Quote from: Johnnysboys on June 25, 2022, 11:28:37 PM

They ain't the only club asking questions about management at present. Despite what upandwin thinks - Burren do mind losing games. They were missing a few lads last night who are on holidays/travelling but they won't like the fact they are 6 points off the lead already going into phase two. Rostrevor are asking questions about management too - performances are improving but results staying the same.

Are your club happy with the progress of the team since McAleenan left?

Mourne Red

Quote from: upandwin on June 26, 2022, 11:00:05 AM
Quote from: Hard2Listen2 on June 26, 2022, 08:49:15 AM

Absolutely not. Results have been hit or miss but performances have been abysmal. Missing some key men since Niall left too but there should still be enough talent there to be competing with the best. League win was a massive achievement for the point tbf last year but we will be lucky to stay in D1 this year ans the injuries just keep piling up. Main diff for us is that we don't have the squad strength of Burrens and Kilcoos of this world. As good a starting 15 as most team with everyone fully fit but that rarely happens any team tbf.

Does the split happen this week then or is there a break for a week does anyone know?

I think there's a week or 2 break now (July break per usual) then run of the league games into championship if I'm not mistaken.. I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will jump in lol

supersub

A very general, and incorrect statement.

Lotto

Quote from: supersub on June 26, 2022, 12:17:07 PM

Benny has been going from early December with them, it would hardly be surprising if Rostrevor weren't asking questions.

Leftmidfield

Quote from: Lotto on June 26, 2022, 02:26:57 PM
Quote from: supersub on June 26, 2022, 12:17:07 PM

Benny has been going from early December with them, it would hardly be surprising if Rostrevor weren't asking questions.
Do you mean it would hardly be surprising if Rostrevor WERE asking questions?

Cuan12

Why has no results for Div 1 been posted on Down gaa website and all previous results been taken down, is it a glitch ?

Hard2Listen2

Quote from: Cuan12 on June 26, 2022, 07:46:13 PM
Why has no results for Div 1 been posted on Down gaa website and all previous results been taken down, is it a glitch ?

It's a cover up!
All a big conspiracy to get 4 south down teams in the top 4 & to relegate 4 east down teams.

Couldn't watch them south down county board feckers!!

#paranoia
#whoshotjr

Cuan12

I hope your not being sarcastic, it was a civil question from some one who follows football, div 2,3and 4 results were up and previous weeks results could be looked at as well as league positions, so I will ask again in an attempt to get a civil answer , why were the div 1 results not available and all the previous results taken down- is it a glitch ?

Johnnysboys

]

[/quote]

Absolutely not.. I do know that Mark Poland is excellent at what he does, very articulate and you can see this man has played consistently well at the highest level - 2 all Ireland finals etc. I also know the players hang on his every word and listen to him intently. But that's as good as our management ticket gets.

On another note - I hope thon eye gouger from todays game gets the maximum sentence possible and that it's a stark warning to those at club level in our county who engage in the same dark arts.
Winning/losing a game is one thing - but ruining some lads life by damaging his sight has no place in our sport.

Truth hurts

Quote from: upandwin on June 25, 2022, 01:04:55 AM
Serious flaw in the league structure the way it's panned out...Burren and Mayobridge downing tools because they've already got top 4 and can't be relegated. Burren don't care about losing games, they're most focused on trying to relegate the intermediate club down the road while the real top team in Down Dispatch another team tonight with a game that meant nothing in the grand scheme of things. Went to watch Point Ballyholland, poor quality and I'd expect both teams to be having a renewal in Div 2 in 2023. Scrappy game that was intriguing but Warrenpoint by far the better team. Bottom 8 split is going to be very close now with 4 teams effectively playing to avoid the last two drop places. Fancy Harps and Point to go down based off what I've seen tonight. Wouldn't surprise me if harps overturn this result in the reverse fixture, they always go well in moygannon. Loughinisland unlucky tonight not to get fourth

The rules were set out at the beginning of the year, these were agreed by ALL clubs so Burren and Mayobridge won enough games to be safe so they can do what they like.

We all knew it would be like this so the race to get to the most points was vital. The top 4 will be virtually friendly games to the final but all clubs knew this

The Harps looked doomed now as well but another big club will go down but they should go straight up next year

Lloyd p

Crazy that a team that gets relegated could end up with more points than a team in the top 4. Race to stay up wide open with only 2 points between 5th and 9th.