Death Notices

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franko

Quote from: thewobbler on September 08, 2022, 11:29:36 PM
Basically three reasons.

Somebody somewhere has to serve as protector of a country's constitution. The ideal candidate should have no political affiliation, which is a difficult position for anyone to achieve when growing up and working in the "real" world.

As is the way, such a rule naturally dovetails with figurehead, diplomatic and ambassadorial roles. And being born into royalty is in effect, being born to train for those duties every day of your life.

There's something about what both those roles entails that just makes me shudder at the thought of the position being decided by populist votes.

And the third reason is that due to history and culture, the royal family is a tourism industry all of it own. It's a USP for the UK.

The Royal family in UK is of course too bloated, too full of second and third cousins who freeload and add little, while enjoying the heirlooms. So it could do with a cull and then some. But in the whole I think it's just a pretty good way to provide a country with stable governance.

This doesn't stand up to much scrutiny.

I think you'd have to accept that queen of England has been a relatively successful monarch (she died naturally) and for the past 10-15 years, has been at the absolute peak of her powers in terms of the clout she wielded with the people.

During this time, that she was supposedly protecting the constitution,  the UK 'constitution' has been ripped to shreds on many occasions by an unscrupulous government.  I don't see that she has any more power as protector of the constitution than Michael D - and she certainly hasn't done a better job because of her 'lifetime of training'

The tourists don't come to see the Queen.  They come to hear the stories and see the fancy buildings.  And they'll still come even if the people no longer exist.  See Edinburgh (Castle) / Rome / Versailles / Prague / Budapest and countless other examples as proof.

And stable governance??  Are you having a laugh?  The most unstable period of governance the UK has ever seen (in about a century - and I'm including war years) has coincided with a period when the supposed provider of stable governance was at the absolute apex of her powers.

Next.

Milltown Row2

The royal family is run as a business, the protocols are not set by them, hasn't been in many years and while she chaired the Firm she'd no final say in what was said done and arranged..

They do bring in 2.7 billion, whether that's to see their building or whatever it's still contributed to them.

They are just that, a head of state and to anyone outside of the uk it's not a big deal, but you would need to be thick to think they haven't got a massive following and that there wouldn't be this circus going on when she died.

As for uk games cancelling their sports and Irish people complaining about it, sounds a bit daft. Who actually gives a f**k except those heading over :D

Had there been a date set for her funeral yet?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bennydorano

The old A Level Politics answer staples - postives: Tourism dollars, Poltical stability, Social Cohesion, International Prestige V undemocratic & cost. Having a press that creams itself over them helps.

Captain Scarlet

The feckin Pharaohs are long gone but plenty still go to see the Pyramids.
Buckingham Palace will always be a tourist attraction.

Some of the commentary on the BBC is ridiculous. I read she was v frugal!!

At the end of the day she was an aul one potterin around various mansions. Such service!!
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Milltown Row2

Do yourself a favour and don't watch or put it on the radio... you really are silly if you're listening to something you don't want to hear about
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: bennydorano on September 09, 2022, 08:13:54 AM
The old A Level Politics answer staples - postives: Tourism dollars, Poltical stability, Social Cohesion, International Prestige V undemocratic & cost. Having a press that creams itself over them helps.

The Royal family embolden the class system which the ruling elites in GB need to survive.

The public school system, Oxford/Cambridge types, born to rule over us and all that.

She came across as a decent spud, not sure how the tampon wannabe King Charles will cut the mustard in that regard..

laoislad

Quote from: Armagh18 on September 09, 2022, 02:28:53 AM
Quote from: Orior on September 08, 2022, 10:38:23 PM
What are the chances of Sunday's match between Crossmaglen Rangers and Silverbriedge Harps being called off?
Minutes silence, black armbands and GSTQ to be played beforehand.
Is is not GSTK now?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

quit yo jibbajabba

Gona be some confusion for a bit. Some singin queen some singin king. Main thing is the song continues #gstk

Sportacus

Quote from: johnnycool on September 09, 2022, 10:12:26 AM

The Royal family embolden the class system which the ruling elites in GB need to survive.

The public school system, Oxford/Cambridge types, born to rule over us and all that.

She came across as a decent spud, not sure how the tampon wannabe King Charles will cut the mustard in that regard..
I have a notion the British public would rather jump straight to William. They need a strong leader, Charles has always seemed a bit spineless.

RedHand88

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 09, 2022, 09:57:32 AM
Do yourself a favour and don't watch or put it on the radio... you really are silly if you're listening to something you don't want to hear about

I agree. Heard from so many ones who have done nothing but give off about the constant coverage yet have been glued to it since yesterday!!

johnnycool

Quote from: Sportacus on September 09, 2022, 10:20:30 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on September 09, 2022, 10:12:26 AM

I have a notion the British public would rather jump straight to William. They need a strong leader, Charles has always seemed a bit spineless.
Well Wille has blotted the copybook as well, likes to be pegged evidently, not Kates thing, so allegedly as a lady "friend" who does like to peg him...

Had to use the urban dictionary on that one when it first broke about a month ago...

general_lee

Anyone who supports the monarchy in this day and age (especially anyone from a working class background) is a f**king moron. £12m of taxpayers' money, as opposed to their own funds, to keep Andy's victim quiet. The monarchy offers absolutely nothing to society, strip them of their assets, let them keep their titles and let them survive in the real world and they can carry out their royal duties as a side hustle.

square_ball

QuoteShe was a mother and she had a full time job as well. Many women can relate to that.

I shit you not an actual quote on BBC from someone from here in NI.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: general_lee on September 09, 2022, 10:28:11 AM
Anyone who supports the monarchy in this day and age (especially anyone from a working class background) is a f**king moron. £12m of taxpayers' money, as opposed to their own funds, to keep Andy's victim quiet. The monarchy offers absolutely nothing to society, strip them of their assets, let them keep their titles and let them survive in the real world and they can carry out their royal duties as a side hustle.

I agree, any monarchy is or has no real point, I asked the question yesterday are they the richest monarchy, they aint event close it seems, some countries are seem a hell of a lot worse off when it comes to kings/queens ripping them off..

The problem is they don't get to choose, their only way out is what Harry has tried to do and it comes with a heap of shit, the 'original' king who fecked off with Miss Simpson had the right idea and left all that hassle behind him

Eire90

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 09, 2022, 09:57:32 AM

exactly there is plenty of other stuff you can watch or listen to if you want to not hear it