Death Notices

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HiMucker

Quote from: thewobbler on September 08, 2022, 10:34:04 PM
It's a rather confusing hark back to the olden days.

Last time the monarch died, there was no internet, no computers, tv was a new fangled concept, the national obsession with sport was barely in blossom, and celebrities didn't much exist apart from royalty.

10 days or mourning was the right thing back then in a slower world.

Nowadays, it's just a hindrance that we can all do without. There's a million websites and a hundred news/general interest Tv channels people can dial into to "join in". Why on earth BBC.Co.Uk sport website and Sky Sports News channel cannot today provide a welcome alternative, well that's just the world gone mad.

And I say this as someone who would generally support the concept of royalty.
Genuinely interested in this bit. Outside of fawning royalists I never heard anyone put up a reasoned explanantion of this, and certainly not a coherent one lol. The floor is yours wobbler knock yourself out there, why would you generally support the concept of royalty?

Milltown Row2

I'm not a royalist but I wouldn't lose sleep of any country having a monarchy

It's all about where you were born, we've grown up being anti British, because of we're we were born, people fawning over or feeling sad about her death is down to that. If you were born in Surrey you'd be raising a glass to Liz!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Franko

Quote from: thewobbler on September 08, 2022, 10:34:04 PM
It's a rather confusing hark back to the olden days.

Last time the monarch died, there was no internet, no computers, tv was a new fangled concept, the national obsession with sport was barely in blossom, and celebrities didn't much exist apart from royalty.

10 days or mourning was the right thing back then in a slower world.

Nowadays, it's just a hindrance that we can all do without. There's a million websites and a hundred news/general interest Tv channels people can dial into to "join in". Why on earth BBC.Co.Uk sport website and Sky Sports News channel cannot today provide a welcome alternative, well that's just the world gone mad.

And I say this as someone who would generally support the concept of royalty.

A monarchy has to be full of OTT grandeur in order to survive.  Practicalities must make way for pomp and ceremony.  It is both how AND why monarchies exist.

thewobbler

Basically three reasons.

Somebody somewhere has to serve as protector of a country's constitution. The ideal candidate should have no political affiliation, which is a difficult position for anyone to achieve when growing up and working in the "real" world.

As is the way, such a rule naturally dovetails with figurehead, diplomatic and ambassadorial roles. And being born into royalty is in effect, being born to train for those duties every day of your life.

There's something about what both those roles entails that just makes me shudder at the thought of the position being decided by populist votes.

And the third reason is that due to history and culture, the royal family is a tourism industry all of it own. It's a USP for the UK.

The Royal family in UK is of course too bloated, too full of second and third cousins who freeload and add little, while enjoying the heirlooms. So it could do with a cull and then some. But in the whole I think it's just a pretty good way to provide a country with stable governance.

mouview

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on September 08, 2022, 10:29:49 PM
Quote from: lenny on September 08, 2022, 09:18:36 PM
Quote from: screenexile on September 08, 2022, 09:00:09 PM
I don't get it at all.

1. Don't get the fawning of the public over her... she literally did nothing

2. The fact people despise her in Ireland... she didn't do anything why do we hold the deeds of her ancestors against her.

I understand before when monarch's ruled but a monarch who doesn't rule deserves as much adulation or hatred as a statue!!

Watched about 5 mins of the BBC there Jesus christ ‍♂️‍♂️

Totally agree. Have a minute's silence at the soccer at the weekend ffs, there's no need to be calling every single match off. Ridiculous to have every single uk channel devoted to cringeworthy tributes. How long will this go on for? I've nothing against the woman but life shouldn't have to stop in this way.

It's the death of a head of state, and of such an occasion that most British people don't recall anything like it in their lifetimes. Of course in that respect it's hugely significant and I'd be hugely surprised if the major media outlets in the country didn't make a big song & dance about it! TV & radio journalists in the UK will have been preparing for this moment for decades.

Same would go for pretty much any country whose head of state died while in office - maybe not as on a grand scale as what we see here (as it's an exceptional case) but you'd see it all right. I doubt RTÉ would continue regular programming for a good couple of days at least (except RTÉ Junior) if Higgins dies while President.

I'm just about old enough to remember Erskine Childers' funeral.

Milltown Row2

There are 43 monarchies left, would the UK be the richest?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bennydorano

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 08, 2022, 11:34:30 PM
Doubt it, the Sultan of Brunei was touted as the richest man in the world for a time

grounded

Quote from: Orior on September 08, 2022, 10:38:23 PM
What are the chances of Sunday's match between Crossmaglen Rangers and Silverbriedge Harps being called off?

Unless John Bruton is the  president of either club, then very doubtful.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LHsvb7k7_ho

armaghniac

Quote from: grounded on September 08, 2022, 11:56:52 PM
What are the chances of Sunday's match between Crossmaglen Rangers and Silverbriedge Harps being called off?

They might call off the following game, plenty of Royalists around Lurgan.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Orior

Quote from: thewobbler on September 08, 2022, 11:29:36 PM
Basically three reasons.

Somebody somewhere has to serve as protector of a country's constitution. The ideal candidate should have no political affiliation, which is a difficult position for anyone to achieve when growing up and working in the "real" world.

As is the way, such a rule naturally dovetails with figurehead, diplomatic and ambassadorial roles. And being born into royalty is in effect, being born to train for those duties every day of your life.

There's something about what both those roles entails that just makes me shudder at the thought of the position being decided by populist votes.

And the third reason is that due to history and culture, the royal family is a tourism industry all of it own. It's a USP for the UK.

The Royal family in UK is of course too bloated, too full of second and third cousins who freeload and add little, while enjoying the heirlooms. So it could do with a cull and then some. But in the whole I think it's just a pretty good way to provide a country with stable governance.

Would Dublin's tourist trade increase substantially if we had a Royal family? I doubt it.

Would London's tourism halve if Buck house was turned into a hotel? I doubt it.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Orior

Quote from: armaghniac on September 09, 2022, 12:01:17 AM
Quote from: grounded on September 08, 2022, 11:56:52 PM

They might call off the following game, plenty of Royalists around Lurgan.

You're a very bad man, lol.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 08, 2022, 11:34:30 PM

Saudi Arabia?

Wildweasel74

Can't understand bbc1 and bbc 2 showing the excate same thing, madness. Anyway one plus I give the Queen, she hated Thatcher, now we got deal with this other freeloaders, Charlie Boy, Willie, u find in time u rather had her. Ole Liz Truss the Medusa stars done her in, she not off to the best start.

Armagh18

Minutes silence, black armbands and GSTQ to be played beforehand.

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on September 09, 2022, 01:09:15 AM
Can't understand bbc1 and bbc 2 showing the excate same thing, madness. Anyway one plus I give the Queen, she hated Thatcher, now we got deal with this other freeloaders, Charlie Boy, Willie, u find in time u rather had her. Ole Liz Truss the Medusa stars done her in, she not off to the best start.

Indeed

*hic*
😉