Death Notices

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on September 08, 2022, 07:54:30 PM
Thanks for introducing me to a new experience, agreeing with you. Mary McAleese's exaggerated response was gut wrenching
McAleese's response was naff to be sure, but the gesture was intended to be a positive one. You can fairly say that a cúpla focail doesn't amount to a lot when there is so much on the other side of the scale, but you have to start somewhere. The tone of that visit contrasts strongly with the vitriol coming from London since then.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Mikhail Prokhorov

there should be no joking, fawning or excusing an english monarch's history in Ireland

it has been barbaric  :(

screenexile

I don't get it at all.

1. Don't get the fawning of the public over her... she literally did nothing

2. The fact people despise her in Ireland... she didn't do anything why do we hold the deeds of her ancestors against her.

I understand before when monarch's ruled but a monarch who doesn't rule deserves as much adulation or hatred as a statue!!

Watched about 5 mins of the BBC there Jesus christ 🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on September 08, 2022, 08:50:21 PM
there should be no joking, fawning or excusing an english monarch's history in Ireland

it has been barbaric  :(

Oh you're back, missed you during Rory's win
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

lenny

Quote from: screenexile on September 08, 2022, 09:00:09 PM
I don't get it at all.

2. The fact people despise her in Ireland... she didn't do anything why do we hold the deeds of her ancestors against her.

I understand before when monarch's ruled but a monarch who doesn't rule deserves as much adulation or hatred as a statue!!

Totally agree. Have a minute's silence at the soccer at the weekend ffs, there's no need to be calling every single match off. Ridiculous to have every single uk channel devoted to cringeworthy tributes. How long will this go on for? I've nothing against the woman but life shouldn't have to stop in this way.

dec

Quote from: armaghniac on September 08, 2022, 08:28:38 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on September 08, 2022, 07:54:30 PM
Thanks for introducing me to a new experience, agreeing with you. Mary McAleese's exaggerated response was gut wrenching
McAleese's response was naff to be sure, but the gesture was intended to be a positive one. You can fairly say that a cúpla focail doesn't amount to a lot when there is so much on the other side of the scale, but you have to start somewhere. The tone of that visit contrasts strongly with the vitriol coming from London since then.

The cúpla focail are a lot better than the leprechaun language/curried yoghurt comments that her loyal subjects come out with.

AustinPowers

Quote from: lenny on September 08, 2022, 09:18:36 PM
I don't get it at all.

Totally agree. Have a minute's silence at the soccer at the weekend ffs, there's no need to be calling every single match off. Ridiculous to have every single uk channel devoted to cringeworthy tributes. How long will this go on for? I've nothing against the woman but life shouldn't have to stop in this way.

Yep they cancelled   House of Games earlier ffs  ;D

quit yo jibbajabba

Sky sports news isnt sports news for now......i mean wtf

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Laughed my balls off there,well know Chuckie from South Derry giving Eastwood dogs abuse on Twitter then Michelle tweets almost identical tweet and he likes it

armaghniac

Quote from: lenny on September 08, 2022, 09:18:36 PM
I don't get it at all.

It is like snow, it is only every 70 years and you might as well go with the flow.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

There are plenty of different channels to watch and loads of sports to watch
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

thewobbler

It's a rather confusing hark back to the olden days.

Last time the monarch died, there was no internet, no computers, tv was a new fangled concept, the national obsession with sport was barely in blossom, and celebrities didn't much exist apart from royalty.

10 days or mourning was the right thing back then in a slower world.

Nowadays, it's just a hindrance that we can all do without. There's a million websites and a hundred news/general interest Tv channels people can dial into to "join in". Why on earth BBC.Co.Uk sport website and Sky Sports News channel cannot today provide a welcome alternative, well that's just the world gone mad.

And I say this as someone who would generally support the concept of royalty.

Orior

What are the chances of Sunday's match between Crossmaglen Rangers and Silverbriedge Harps being called off?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Milltown Row2

They've went to a lot of effort, what did people expect?

screenexile

Quote from: thewobbler on September 08, 2022, 10:34:04 PM
It's a rather confusing hark back to the olden days.

Last time the monarch died, there was no internet, no computers, tv was a new fangled concept, the national obsession with sport was barely in blossom, and celebrities didn't much exist apart from royalty.

10 days or mourning was the right thing back then in a slower world.

Nowadays, it's just a hindrance that we can all do without. There's a million websites and a hundred news/general interest Tv channels people can dial into to "join in". Why on earth BBC.Co.Uk sport website and Sky Sports News channel cannot today provide a welcome alternative, well that's just the world gone mad.

And I say this as someone who would generally support the concept of royalty.

That's a fairly minority view in my experience can I ask why??