Fundraising for Suicide Prevention Group

Started by brokencrossbar1, April 30, 2013, 11:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

I have asked the moderators to allow me to create this thread as it is something that means an awful lot to me.  I know many others run/abseil/cycle/whatever for charity but this is more than just fundraising for me.  Some posters on here know what has happened to me in recent months, some don't, but I would ask you all to please donate as this is a very serious issue. 
Suicide is something that seemingly is becoming more and more common place in recent years.  We all know someone who has taken their own lives and it is terrible to see the aftermath of this.  Only a few weeks ago a young girl from round the corner from me did it, a young one with her whole life in front of her, Supersub will know who I mean.  My family and I have been affected very badly by suicide and not just recently.  Over 20 years ago my sister's boyfriend shot himself.  It was the second time in one year that someone I knew had killed themselves.  A young lad from Belfast that had been in Rannafast with us had taken his own life at the age of 14. 
The next time it happened to us was in June of 2011 when my father-in-law's long term partner took her own life.  This was very traumatic as he is over 70 years of age and had been with her for close to 20 years.  It happened in a very small rural area and the shock that was felt in the whole place was unreal. 
The most heart breaking though was in November of last year.  My mum had been suffering with mental health issues for some time and had gradually going deeper and deeper into the hole.  She had been living with my sister of the time and my sister had tried everything to try to help her but it wasn't working.  We got as much medical help as possible for her and she seemed to be improving.  The unfortunate thing about depression is that as there are no physical signs it is very hard to really see if things are improving.  As it turned out she had made her mind up and maybe this meant that she was settled in her mind and that is why she was happy with what she was doing.  Anyway, she took her own life on 6th November of last year.  The last few months have been terrible and the questions have been constant but through it all PIPS in Newry have been there for me.  I want to help them to help other families by raising money and I am running the Newry Marathon on the 26th May.   They provide support to so many people and if I can help a few more families in the future then I feel that some good will come out of what has happened.  Please donate at the link below

Please Donate Here!

AZOffaly

Well done BC. Best of luck on the run and the fundraising. Not easy to tell your story here either, but the less it's kept secret maybe the better.

heffo

Declan

QuoteWell done BC. Best of luck on the run and the fundraising. Not easy to tell your story here either, but the less it's kept secret maybe the better.
Agree 100%. Best of luck

stew

Wow BC, I wish you and yours all the best with your campaign and all the best with the marathon.

I will do what I can for you.

Stew.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Bud Wiser

Wish you the best of luck BC, I have put it on my FB page as well so hopefully some of my friends will support you too.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

theskull1

Wondering if it has went unnoticed by many? I know I caught it by pure fluke yesterday as it was the latest post, but normally look past the sticky's at the top of the page and wouldn't have spotted it.

So I'm posting this just to double check. There may very well be forum members who would gladly add their support if they knew about it

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=23126.0
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: theskull1 on May 01, 2013, 03:46:44 PM
Wondering if it has went unnoticed by many? I know I caught it by pure fluke yesterday as it was the latest post, but normally look past the sticky's at the top of the page and wouldn't have spotted it.

So I'm posting this just to double check. There may very well be forum members who would gladly add their support if they knew about it

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=23126.0

Thanks Skull,I was in 2 minds about having it as a sticky. I think I will leave it but will keep bumping this one up!

Please Donate Here!

spuds

Like many have had my life touched by people I know who have lived with depression and a friend who commited suicide. That is an honourable and brave post BCB1. Will be delighted to help. Fair play.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Eamonnca1

Jesus thanks for pointing that out.  I never look at the stickies.

laoislad

Fair play BC1, best of luck to you.
Brave post.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Itchy

My condolences to you bcb, I was not aware of any of this. My extended family and friends have also been effected by suicide also. I would be delighted to support you on this and wish you all the best with it.

brokencrossbar1

Thank you so much to everyone for keeping this up here, the response has been unreal and the donations have been fantastic!

Syferus

It's probably done more harm than good sticking it - this thread has 334 views while the actual one has 370. Good luck with it, boss.