Ballaghaderreen - what is the gig?

Started by Aaron Boone, May 11, 2012, 10:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron Boone

Clarity requested.
It sounds like it is in both Roscommon & Mayo, which county do you play from if from there?

Can the history be summed up in a sentence or two?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Aaron Boone on May 11, 2012, 10:35:27 PM
Clarity requested.
It sounds like it is in both Roscommon & Mayo, which county do you play from if from there?

County Mayo, occupied by Roscommon. Its also very close to the Sligo border. The GAA club is affiliated to and plays Club football in  Mayo, coz the area was part of Mayo when the GAA was founded. A local landlord, Dillon if I remember rightly got it changed by the Westminister Parliament to Roscommon because rates (for him) were lower than in County Mayo. The population have stayed loyal to the Green and Red, bar a few blow in planters from Roscommon.

Ballaghadereen is a Mayo town, we managed to kick the Brits out of it, the Rossies will be gone someday too..
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

blast05

Also, club foundation (1886) pre-dates the move of the town into Roscommon (around 1900 or thereabouts)

ross4life

Clarity requested.

County Roscommon will be seen as you enter & leave Ballaghaderreen plus on every map. If your from there & play your club football in the town you play for Mayo like Andy Moran or do what Sean McDermott (his cousin) did & play for Roscommon club a few miles away.

I think the rest has been covered on another thread somewhere here.
The population have stayed loyal to the Green and Red, bar a few blow in planters from Roscommon.
Clear to know you never step foot in the place   ;D
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: ross4life on May 11, 2012, 10:48:59 PM
Clarity requested.

County Roscommon will be seen as you enter & leave Ballaghaderreen plus on every map. If your from there & play your club football in the town you play for Mayo like Andy Moran or do what Sean McDermott (his cousin) did & play for Roscommon club a few miles away.

I think the rest has been covered on another thread somewhere here.

I seem to remember in 1996 the locals covered the border welcome signs and erected their own one 4 or 5 kilometres east of the town. They also painted all the kirbs Green and Red.

Rossfan

There are a number of backward eejits in this Roscommon Town who refuse to accept reality.  >:( >:( >:( :( :( :'( :'(
They run the GAA club so any good footballer from that club is only eligible to play for Mayowestrossouthsligoinishbofin unless they move house to another Ros town whose GAA club affiliates to their own County Board  --- or move to Oz like Hanly.
The true Rossies who live on Ballagh and are good at football have an awful dilemna -- do they stick with their own club and thus turn their back on their own County or do they renege on their own town for the sake of their own County.
Grand for lads that don't play football - -they can support their own club and their own County (Roscommon) without any complications.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Rossfan on May 11, 2012, 11:37:18 PM
There are a number of backward eejits in this Roscommon Town who refuse to accept reality.  >:( >:( >:( :( :( :'( :'(

Enough about Frenchpark, we are talking about Ballaghaderreen here.

Farrandeelin

Also Ballaghaderreen or some of them wanted to move to Roscommon at one stage. However there was a fallout with the Roscommon Co Board.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 12, 2012, 01:11:09 AM
Also Ballaghaderreen or some of them wanted to move to Roscommon at one stage. However there was a fallout with the Roscommon Co Board.

What is the story there, will the GAA allow two clubs to exist, affiliated to different counties. Personally I believe the Rossie blowins should be allowed their own club, so they will stop moaning.

Jinxy

Ah yes, the first Ballaghadereen 'tug of love' thread of 2012.
The championship must be upon us.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Jinxy on May 12, 2012, 01:26:46 AM
Ah yes, the first Ballaghadereen 'tug of love' thread of 2012.
The championship must be upon us.

Wait until Sligonian gets his knickers in a twist over Charlestown-Bellaghy  ;D

Captain Obvious

Seanie Johnston should have moved to Ballaghaderreen.

Syferus

Our county council is kind enough to fund Ballagh GAA. How sweet of them. I'm going to ask the next councillor I meet why the overall issue of Ballagh has been more forcefully contested by them. I've lived here all my life and I can barely remember hearing a peep from local politicians. Now that Ballagh is paired with Castlerea as one electoral area maybe a Castlerea councillor on the boil will be opportunistic enough to push this into the agenda.

The town itself most certainly has alot of Roscommon people, with the players who want to have the chance of palying for their county playing for the nearest Roscommon club. The exact split is murky because alot of people from outside the town itself identify themselves as part of the community and they come with perhaps even more baggage than the residents. Even Sligo is within throwing distance, there was always a few Sligoians in Nathy's in every year in my school days. The main street looked like it was decked out by a colour blind event organiser before the 2006 AI finals. It's the place you want to be if you want some championship banter with your drink, that's for sure.

This whole issue isn't even as simple as one family being on one side or the other. As an example, two of Andy Moran's cousins, Seanie McDermott, the Roscommon inter-county corner-back, and Derek Moran play for Western Gaels, a Roscommon club. Even Andy's father is a Roscommon man. It's got to the point now that people actively choose sides as children - do I support my parents' county or do I play with all my school friends at the local club? The whole situation is as complete a mess as you're likely to ever find.

I think the end-game is inevitable and will be that Ballagh GAA will either get an exception to allow its players to play for Roscommon or be forced to play in Roscommon as a club. It may even take decades more, but Ballagh GAA's make-up is becoming less and less hard-line Mayo and more of a mixture of both counties. The idea of a separate club was tried but it didn't take hold and Mayo people should be thanking their lucky stars for that because if one became established Ballagh's Mayo heritage would be washed away in a generation. The writing has been on the wall from the moment Ballagh moved to Roscommon, no matter what the emotional position of Mayo people.

sans pessimism

Clarity requested.

WUM's........Dont ya just love them!
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Lar Naparka

If you were to follow the arguments of the sheepophiles on here and pay attention to their bleating, Dublin would now be split fourways.
Their logic is that the GAA should be forced to follow the lead of political carpetbaggers and cut its cloth according to their measure. (Logic from a sheepshaggist-that's an oxymoron!)

Once upon a time, the local landlord Johneen Dillon decided to put profit before principle and had his entire estate be included in Roscommon for rateable purposes. 

Ballagh, which has been part of Mayo since the Composition of Connaught was arbitrarily cut adrift from the mother ship and lumped in with that collection of misfits and howse-yer-fathers known as Roscommon.
Some might go as far as to say that Ballagh was in Mayo since Fionn MacCumhail played for the u14s. However, Johneen (may the devil keep his personal furnace forever stacked up) did a deal with his pals in high places and the foul deed was done.
While the locals' were obliged to lower their standard of living, they held on to their heritage. 
The Ballagh boys played in Mayo, play in Mayo and will play in Mayo to the end of time.
Down the years since its formation, the local club has had dozens of outstanding players who wore their beloved red and green with pride and passion. I imagine that more All Stars played for Ballagh than any other club in the county. 
To our everlasting regret, the townland of Loughglynn , since it had no club at that time, was not so lucky. Two of the finest Mayo footballers of all time, the Earley brothers, had to play for the invaders.

God alone knows what might have been.....
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi