Match bans to replace time bans for 2012

Started by brokencrossbar1, January 05, 2012, 10:47:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

I didn't see this posted anywhere else before but I think it is a great step forward and hopefully will do away with a lot of the farcical bans being handed out.

QuoteMatch bans to replace time bans for 2012
By John Fogarty

GAA officials are busy preparing themselves for the introduction of match bans on a trial basis for 2012 from next month.
After being passed overwhelmingly by 92% delegates at last year's Annual Congress, the new suspensions will apply to this year's Allianz League and All-Ireland championships.

The most common four-week bans will now be replaced by one-game bans in the same code and at the same level with two-game suspensions replacing the old eight-week punishment.

Had the rule change come in last year, Kerry's Marc Ó Sé would have only missed one league game instead of the two he was sidelined for following an incident involving him and Dublin's Eoghan O'Gara in Croke Park last February.

"It's a far fairer system," said GAA director of games administration and player welfare Feargal McGill. "It's a challenge now for us to implement it successfully and make it work with a mind to possibly extending it to the club game."

Repeat category I and II infractions carry two-game suspensions as opposed to the previous eight-week ban.

Time-based suspensions will remain in place for the more serious offences. "The three, six and 12-month bans are still there because they would be deemed adequate punishment for such infractions," explained McGill.

Any player who picks up a straight red card or a suspension in either of this year's All-Ireland finals will have to serve it in the 2013 Allianz League.

This appeared in the printed version of the Irish Examiner Thursday, January 05, 2012

Milltown Row2

Look there are big bloody loopholes in this.

At club level if one player gets a game ban he could claim he missed a game in schools/hurling/county/ or even a club reserve match. I suppose they have it so he misses a game of the code and league where he got his ban? Ya think?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

stephenite

Finally.....

It should carry over into club competitions immediately though

Fear ón Srath Bán

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Onion Bag

Quote from: stephenite on January 05, 2012, 11:16:03 AM
Finally.....

It should carry over into club competitions immediately though

Agreed and visa versa, anyone who receives a red card in a club game, should be banned from county as well,
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

EC Unique

Excellent news and needs to be developed and brought into club football, it would leave players involved in league finals in November for example a bit more fearful of suspension if it actually involved games of importance the following year.

heffo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 05, 2012, 11:00:02 AM

At club level if one player gets a game ban he could claim he missed a game in schools/hurling/county/ or even a club reserve match. I suppose they have it so he misses a game of the code and league where he got his ban? Ya think?

Players already automatically miss the next game in the same competition irrespective of whether it falls outside of the suspension 'window'.

playwiththewind1st

Just wait till m'learned friends start going through the appeals mechanisms!

muppet

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 05, 2012, 11:00:02 AM

Quotefour-week bans will now be replaced by one-game bans in the same code and at the same level

Does the above not cover it?
MWWSI 2017

thejuice

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016