Copa América July 1st-July24th 2011

Started by laoislad, June 30, 2011, 05:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Group A

Argentina v Bolivia   01/07/2011 - 21:45 (00:45+ GMT)
Colombia v Costa Rica   02/07/2011 - 15:30 (18:30 GMT)
Argentina v Colombia   06/07/2011 - 21:45 (00:45+ GMT)
Bolivia v Costa Rica   07/07/2011 - 19:15 (22:15 GMT)
Colombia v Bolivia   10/07/2011 - 16:00 (19:00 GMT)
Argentina v Costa Rica   11/07/2011 - 21:45 (00:45+ GMT)

Group B

Brazil v Venezuela   03/07/2011 - 16:00 (19:00 GMT)
Paraguay v Ecuador   03/07/2011 - 18:30 (21:30 GMT)
Brazil v Paraguay   09/07/2011 - 16:00 (19:00 GMT)
Venezuela v Ecuador   09/07/2011 - 18:30 (21:30 GMT)
Paraguay v Venezuela   13/07/2011 - 19:15 (22:15 GMT)
Brazil v Ecuador   13/07/2011 - 21:45 (00:45+ GMT)

Group C

Uruguay v Peru   04/07/2011 - 19:15 (22:15 GMT)
Chile v Mexico   04/07/2011 - 21:45 (00:45+ GMT)
Uruguay v Chile   08/07/2011 - 19:15 (22:15 GMT)
Peru v Mexico   08/07/2011 - 21:45 (00:45+ GMT)
Chile v Peru   12/07/2011 - 19:15 (22:15 GMT)
Uruguay v Mexico   12/07/2011 - 21:45 (00:45+ GMT)
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

EagleLord

Delighted to have just read that the Copa America is going to be streamed live on paddypower.com, saying I dont have the Sky in anymore! I predict Argentina to win it..or maybe Brazil.. :D

attheraces

Quote from: EagleLord on June 30, 2011, 07:40:21 PM
Delighted to have just read that the Copa America is going to be streamed live on paddypower.com, saying I dont have the Sky in anymore! I predict Argentina to win it..or maybe Brazil.. :D

Some daring predictions there EagleLord!
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

ross4life

Mexico bringing over a 2nd string side so no Javier Hernández to light up this tournament  :(

Odds

http://www.paddypower.com/football/international-football/copa-america?ev_oc_grp_ids=5464

Any Copa América fanstasy football running? could keep the interest going through July.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

tyssam5

Quote from: ross4life on June 30, 2011, 07:55:16 PM
Mexico bringing over a 2nd string side so no Javier Hernández to light up this tournament  :(

Odds

http://www.paddypower.com/football/international-football/copa-america?ev_oc_grp_ids=5464

Any Copa América fanstasy football running? could keep the interest going through July.

Would have been interesting to see Mexico at full strength in this one. They looked really good in winning the Gold Cup last week (look up Dos Santos goal vs USA in final). Not sure how many were rested after the tournament, but I see another 8-10 were sent home from training camp for engaging the services of hookers!

paco

I fancy Uruguay to do well. Forlan had a poor season and is having off-pitch difficulties, but Suarez and Edinson Cavani both had very good seasons and Uruguay have an excellent defence. Argentina will be under huge pressure, 20 years since they won anything (excluding the Olympic games), and they're the host nation. Brazil have a wealth of talent, arguably more than Argentina, but Menezes seems unsure of his best formation. It will be like last year's World Cup, where there won't be an awful lot of pressure and Uruguay and, for this reason, I wouldn't be surprised to see them reach the final.

EagleLord

Quote from: attheraces on June 30, 2011, 07:42:04 PM
Quote from: EagleLord on June 30, 2011, 07:40:21 PM

Some daring predictions there EagleLord!

Oh aye! Im a real gambler me! I fancy those 2 to casue an upset! I hope you realise that prediction was tongue in cheek. Hence the laughing face. I was merely highlightlign that its always a 2 horse race and the competition is poor up until these 2 meet in semi final/final. However, Uruguay and Mexico are improving and would love to see someone other than the big 2 win it. Its not like the euros where realisticly Spain, France, Italy, Germany, Portugal, Holland could win it.

Forever Green

I think there will be a real surprise this year. Imo Uruguay are strong enough to win the Copa America. Unbelievable strike force backed up by some strong defenders, they should be hard to stop. It will be interesting to see Chile this summer. With Bielsa leaving as coach i would doubt they will be as attacking as they were at the world cup. A very poor defence will be exposed by Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay

Leonardo

Eaglelord - surely you forgot to include England in your list. Number 4 ranked in the world you know!!!

laoislad

That actually is a shame that Mexico are only sending a 2nd string.

Hopefully Suarez and Lucas come through injury free.
Might stick a few quid on Uruguay and Suarez top scorer.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Bogball XV

Quote from: laoislad on June 30, 2011, 10:05:16 PM

That actually is a shame that Mexico are only sending a 2nd string.

Hopefully Suarez and Lucas come through injury free.
Might stick a few quid on Uruguay and Suarez top scorer.
It's like the african cup of nations, if they play the bloody thing too often and at times that really don't suit their european based players what do they expect?  Mexico have just finished the Gold cup, where surprisingly they played the US in the final, it took 6 games to get to see them crowned champions, if their full squad went on to play in this tournament (where they are actually just making a guest appearance like Japan have also done in the past) they'd have zero break at all, this doesn't finish to near the end of July.
Chile are my dark horses, Uruguay will challenge (but are hardly dark horses with the squad they have) Argies to win in a canter and Neymar to show that his €45M price tag is a bit optimistic, though on the Andy Carroll scale, it's obviously a snip ;D

paco

How often does the Cup of Nations be played? This used to be a problem with the Copa America, up until a few years ago it was played every 2 years, but now it's every 4. Looking forward to seeing Neymar myself, but going by what I've read in the build-up, I'm more interested to see Ganso, who also plays for Santos.

attheraces

Quote from: paco on July 01, 2011, 09:41:08 AM
How often does the Cup of Nations be played? This used to be a problem with the Copa America, up until a few years ago it was played every 2 years, but now it's every 4. Looking forward to seeing Neymar myself, but going by what I've read in the build-up, I'm more interested to see Ganso, who also plays for Santos.

It's played every 2 years. Currently it is in even numered years, so one in every two competitions clashes with the world cup. They are changing this so that there is no clash. There will be a tournament in 2012, and then in 2013, then 2015 etc.

Wouldn't say it is a shame Mexico are sending a second string side, you can't really blame them after already having a full tournament behind them, and that full tournament is their primary football association and involves the countries in their continent.
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

gallsman

Quote from: attheraces on July 01, 2011, 09:57:40 AM

It's played every 2 years. Currently it is in even numered years, so one in every two competitions clashes with the world cup. They are changing this so that there is no clash. There will be a tournament in 2012, and then in 2013, then 2015 etc.

Wouldn't say it is a shame Mexico are sending a second string side, you can't really blame them after already having a full tournament behind them, and that full tournament is their primary football association and involves the countries in their continent.

The next one isn't until Brazil in 2015. It is now a four year as far as I know.

Bogball XV

Quote from: gallsman on July 01, 2011, 11:21:42 AM
Quote from: attheraces on July 01, 2011, 09:57:40 AM

The next one isn't until Brazil in 2015. It is now a four year as far as I know.
Okay, that makes sense then, i didn't know it had changed from the 2yr schedule when I posted.  Why do they still play the african cup of nations every two yrs - how do they fit in qualifiers for the cup of nations and world cup - do the same games count for both in world cup cycles?