Gene Morgan RIP

Started by brokencrossbar1, June 17, 2010, 10:25:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

QuoteArmagh GAA legend Gene Morgan passed away yesterday at the age of 84.

A member of the Armagh side which played against Kerry in the 1953 All-Ireland SFC final, Gene was part of the famous Orchard full-back line Morgan, Bratton and McKnight.

Renowned for his strength and power on the field, Gene captained Crossmaglen to an Armagh SFC triumph in 1947, beating Armagh Harps in the final, and also played for Ulster and Ireland.

He was married to Betty (nee Feenan), who predeceased him in 1986, and is survived by his sons Brendan, Jim and Aidan and his daughters Mart, Eilish and Rose, as well his brothers Brian and John and sisters Maura, Kathleen, Annie, Margaret and Jeanette.

The funeral mass will take place tomorrow at St Patrick's Church, Crossmaglen at 11.00am, with burial at the adjoining cemetery.

Some of the younger lads may not remeber him but he is one of the great legends in my eyes.  Uncle of Oisin and Jim McConville and grand father of James who played for the Armagh minors last year.  A true great in Amagh football

armaghniac

A true Great. I imagine he was an uncle, rather than Great uncle of Oisin, Mc Conville.

I wonder about the nature of the Ireland team he played in 1954?  A type of All Stars?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

JUst retired

R.I.P. to Gene Morgan, A great gael and a great Cross.man.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: armaghniac on June 17, 2010, 01:49:22 PM
A true Great. I imagine he was an uncle, rather than Great uncle of Oisin, Mc Conville.

I wonder about the nature of the Ireland team he played in 1954?  A type of All Stars?

You're rigth Armaghniac, he was Maragret's brother. 

AFS

Asked the grandfather about this last night. Apparently there used to be some sort of match between an Ireland team and a universities select team way back. Thats's what he thought it probably was anyway.

Onlooker

The series between Ireland and the Combined Universities was played from 1950 to 1960.  In 1954 the Universities won by 2-8 to 1-8.  Well known names on the Universities team that year were John McKnight (Armagh), Gerry O'Malley (Roscommon), Sean Murphy (Kerry), Eddie Devlin (Tyrone), P. J. McElroy (Down) and Ollie Freaney & Kevin Heffernan (Dublin).  That team seems to have had more really big names than the Ireland team that included 2 other Armagh players - Mick O'Hanlon and Art O'Hagan, as well as Tadghie Lyne (Kerry), Iggy Jones (Tyrone), Tom Langan (Mayo) and Stephen White (Louth).  All the big stars of that decade played in some of those matches, which were regarded as Exhibition games and recognition for the players on the Ireland team.

thebandit

RIP Gene, an absolute legend.

He was one of the greatest footballers to come from Armagh, known far and wide as 'the man with the golden hands'.

As well as being a great footballer, he was a seriously witty man.

There were Silverbridge men in Fearons one night, justifiably proud of their new facilities, but their bragging had gone too far when they said there was even bingo every week
- Gene's respone was 'Its great youse found a game youse can play'

The same night, someone asked him 'What about Monaghan footbal Gene?'
He replied 'It wouldnt be a bad idea'

Last week, one of the singing priests came to the hospital to administer the last rites. Someone started telling him all the places they had sang, saying 'they've even sung for the pope'
Gene replied 'ay but they never sung in Fearons!'

One of his Armagh team-mates was leaving the field with what Gene considered a somewhat questionable injury
He remarked 'He's the first man I ever seen limping off the field with a sore finger!'

I dont do him near enough justice by typing these out, and I could tell several more. His legacy is left in Cross forever, and there was no prouder man when Oisin scored the goal in '02 or when James made that magnificent catch in the All Ireland minor final last year.

Ar dheis dé go raibh a anam dílis.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: AFS on June 17, 2010, 02:46:17 PM

Asked the grandfather about this last night. Apparently there used to be some sort of match between an Ireland team and a universities select team way back. Thats's what he thought it probably was anyway.

Yep; there used to be an annual exhibition match between Ireland and the Combined Universities. The All-Stars would be the modern day equivalent of the Ireland team.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

AFS

Quote from: Onlooker on June 17, 2010, 07:36:33 PM
The series between Ireland and the Combined Universities was played from 1950 to 1960.  In 1954 the Universities won by 2-8 to 1-8.  Well known names on the Universities team that year were John McKnight (Armagh), Gerry O'Malley (Roscommon), Sean Murphy (Kerry), Eddie Devlin (Tyrone), P. J. McElroy (Down) and Ollie Freaney & Kevin Heffernan (Dublin).  That team seems to have had more really big names than the Ireland team that included 2 other Armagh players - Mick O'Hanlon and Art O'Hagan, as well as Tadghie Lyne (Kerry), Iggy Jones (Tyrone), Tom Langan (Mayo) and Stephen White (Louth).  All the big stars of that decade played in some of those matches, which were regarded as Exhibition games and recognition for the players on the Ireland team.

Thanks Onlooker, and Lar too. Very interesting.

crossfire

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 17, 2010, 10:25:03 AM
QuoteArmagh GAA legend Gene Morgan passed away yesterday at the age of 84.

A member of the Armagh side which played against Kerry in the 1953 All-Ireland SFC final, Gene was part of the famous Orchard full-back line Morgan, Bratton and McKnight.

Renowned for his strength and power on the field, Gene captained Crossmaglen to an Armagh SFC triumph in 1947, beating Armagh Harps in the final, and also played for Ulster and Ireland.

He was married to Betty (nee Feenan), who predeceased him in 1986, and is survived by his sons Brendan, Jim and Aidan and his daughters Mary, Eilish and Rose, as well his brothers Brian and John and sisters Maura, Kathleen, Annie, Margaret and Jeanette.

The funeral mass will take place tomorrow at St Patrick's Church, Crossmaglen at 11.00am, with burial at the adjoining cemetery.

Some of the younger lads may not remeber him but he is one of the great legends in my eyes.  Uncle of Oisin and Jim McConville and grand father of James who played for the Armagh minors last year.   A true great in Amagh football

He was also grandfather of Donal O'Hare ( Burren ) who played on the Down minor team last year and who won a Hogan cup medal with St Colmans this year.

StGallsGAA

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam