Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LC

How is it Antrim can push Dublin all the way one week and then get annihilated the following week?

Kidder81

Quote from: LC on February 25, 2024, 06:37:49 PMHow is it Antrim can push Dublin all the way one week and then get annihilated the following week?

Galway are a good bit better than that Dublin team that fielded in Corrigan (who should be a bit better with Chris Crummey and Donal Burke playing yesterday)

marty34

Just read the short report of the game on the GAA website.

One thing stands out. Antrim only scored 1pt from a free. Now either 1. they hit a good few wide or 2. Galway's tackling and disclipline was excellent.

Bear in mind that Corrigan isn't the biggest pitch, then that's unreal in hurling terms.

Conversely it said Evan Niland landed 10 frees - probably missed a few also so the difference between the two teams' scoring frees is very strange indeed.

Anybody who was there know?

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: LC on February 25, 2024, 06:37:49 PMHow is it Antrim can push Dublin all the way one week and then get annihilated the following week?

Dublin got annihilated yesterday so maybe they have regressed to. I see Westmeath hit 2-21 against Tipp. Thank god we can't get relegated this year. The player clean out we got from last year the timing couldn't be better. Let's hope where not playing Joe mc Donnagh next year.
Performance today was disappointing but shefflin put out his strongest team and some of our guys are very green. With the faster pace and pressure, unforced errors and basic ball handling was below par for a thoroughbred like Galway.
We've been here before over the years and it's just the cycle of things in Antrim.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: marty34 on February 25, 2024, 07:28:24 PMJust read the short report of the game on the GAA website.

One thing stands out. Antrim only scored 1pt from a free. Now either 1. they hit a good few wide or 2. Galway's tackling and disclipline was excellent.

Bear in mind that Corrigan isn't the biggest pitch, then that's unreal in hurling terms.

Conversely it said Evan Niland landed 10 frees - probably missed a few also so the difference between the two teams' scoring frees is very strange indeed.

We hit a few wides alright and Galway shooting was on point but as always there was more than one problem.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Saffrongael

Quote from: marty34 on February 25, 2024, 07:28:24 PMJust read the short report of the game on the GAA website.

I wouldn't dwell too much on free counts or wides, the gap was just massive - as we  all know.

Though I thought we didn't do ourself any favours today at times, taking that extra touch or a few yards extra in the solo and straight into traffic, and the turnover.

We are no closer now than we have ever been to the top teams
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

marty34

I'm just asking if Galway were very good in the tackle or fouled away out the field?

I find it strange that Antrim only scored 1pt from a free in 70 plus minutes of hurling on a tight pitch.

That stat stood straight out at me reading the report.

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: marty34 on February 25, 2024, 11:25:16 PMI'm just asking if Galway were very good in the tackle or fouled away out the field?

I find it strange that Antrim only scored 1pt from a free in 70 plus minutes of hurling on a tight pitch.

That stat stood straight out at me reading the report.

Judging by that score-line, it doesn't seem Antrim had the ball  long enough to be fouled.

NAG1

It does say a little more about where Dublin are the we are really.

We know where we are with the current squad, so none of these results are coming as a surprise, it is a real pity but that is the reality of where we are with the group.

imtommygunn

We've lost too many this year and can't expect very young boys to just come up to speed in one campaign. Our level has probably dropped unfortunately. At our best we couldn't compete with Galway so losing players we probably don't stand a chance.

NorthAntrim

We'd 6 starters on Sunday who werent involved with the seniors last year. Few lads stepped up from u20 but also 3? OBrien, McCurry and McAteer who are fresh into an inter county set up

johnnycool

Just saw on the football thread that Antrim are moving their minor fixtures to accomodate last year minors and allow them to play adult.

Is the same likely to happen for the minor hurling league in Antrim which is currently set for a Sunday morning?

NAG1

Quote from: johnnycool on February 28, 2024, 09:40:18 AMJust saw on the football thread that Antrim are moving their minor fixtures to accomodate last year minors and allow them to play adult.

Is the same likely to happen for the minor hurling league in Antrim which is currently set for a Sunday morning?

From what I understand JC the Sunday morning fixtures did not suit the Minor grade in gerenal for a number of different reasons, playing adult games was probably down the list on why it didn't suit.

johnnycool

Quote from: NAG1 on February 28, 2024, 09:52:05 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on February 28, 2024, 09:40:18 AMJust saw on the football thread that Antrim are moving their minor fixtures to accomodate last year minors and allow them to play adult.

From what I understand JC the Sunday morning fixtures did not suit the Minor grade in gerenal for a number of different reasons, playing adult games was probably down the list on why it didn't suit.

When are they playing the minor games now?

NAG1

Quote from: johnnycool on February 28, 2024, 12:15:01 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on February 28, 2024, 09:52:05 AM

When are they playing the minor games now?

I have heard some chat that they are wanting to swap with the u16 grade which ever evening their games were on and send u16s out on the Sunday mornings.