Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saffrongael

4th place would have done Antrim no favours anyway if it meant a place in Div 1A next year
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Milltown Row2

Difficult one to take..

It's a learning curve for some but look, this year is a free hit for the league
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

SaffronSports

What even happened with the goal? It looked like he was waving it over the bar then it's right in the goalmouth? Second half I thought Antrim were brilliant

Milltown Row2

Quote from: SaffronSports on February 11, 2024, 04:53:46 PMWhat even happened with the goal? It looked like he was waving it over the bar then it's right in the goalmouth? Second half I thought Antrim were brilliant

Most of my playing career would have been corner back. That ball dropped to the keeper, it wasn't dealt with by the keeper and defender... both had opportunities to win the ball.

Didn't and that's where we are at. I'm not available any more lol  >:(
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: SaffronSports on February 11, 2024, 04:53:46 PMWhat even happened with the goal? It looked like he was waving it over the bar then it's right in the goalmouth? Second half I thought Antrim were brilliant

Goalie pulled ball down from going over the bar with his stick and it dropped in behind the line
Forward came in an fouled him afterwards but by that time he was picking ball out of net area just behind the line.
Bad mistake but like most of these things there was plenty of players outfield that fumbled ball and lost possession leading to scores.
Between that and the Dublin physio delaying play and the time not added on, it was a sick way to lose the points.

Good to have Campbell and mc Kenna back, some of the new players struggled but let's judge them after a full league campaign.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

imtommygunn

Yeah I thought there should have been more time on too. We played well and were the better team tbh. Disappointing we couldn't close it out.

Saffrongael

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on February 11, 2024, 07:04:30 PM

Goalie pulled ball down from going over the bar with his stick and it dropped in behind the line
Forward came in an fouled him afterwards but by that time he was picking ball out of net area just behind the line.
Bad mistake but like most of these things there was plenty of players outfield that fumbled ball and lost possession leading to scores.
Between that and the Dublin physio delaying play and the time not added on, it was a sick way to lose the points.

Good to have Campbell and mc Kenna back, some of the new players struggled but let's judge them after a full league campaign.

It was a strange one, I had a good view of it. When he pulled it down he panicked badly, and I think he actually knocked it in with his hand when the ball was on the ground.

You wouldn't see that too often and hopefully he recovers from it quickly.
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

marty34

Quote from: Saffrongael on February 11, 2024, 07:20:35 PM

It was a strange one, I had a good view of it. When he pulled it down he panicked badly, and I think he actually knocked it in with his hand when the ball was on the ground.

You wouldn't see that too often and hopefully he recovers from it quickly.

I think it was given as an own goal.

Milltown Row2

Think there was a minute of extra injury time played.

Regardless of the goal, Antrim played well, we were composed for most of the game, we missed 2, at least simple frees, but that mistake at the end proved costly

Considering the defeat last day out and how we performed today, I'm happy at our development so far

SaffronSports

That makes sense actually. I saw the stick going up and thought it was the usual that the goalies do when the balls going over the bar. So he pulled it down and into the goal, disaster.

I thought Coby was brilliant as was Niall McKenna. Coby's goal was brilliant TBF. Great catch, then he was taking the point then realised he had space and finished brilliantly.

Hopefully we can bring a few of that bench on and get them time on the pitch. Still very young but it would be good to see them kick on.

imtommygunn

Our work rate was very good and our strength in the tackle was very good particularly considering that there are a lot of new younger guys. Some tough games ahead and Westmeath definitely got a lot closer to Limerick than we did bu bare minimum be hoping for some points there. There's a good few to come back too so hopefully there's a good bit of room for improvement. We were the better team in yesterday's game which is probably the most frustrating thing especially with points being so hard to come by.

NAG1

I don't think Corrigan is doing us any favours as a home venue.

Pitch is way too tight and our lighter lads are struggling to make any impact. Maybe it does help against the top tier teams, but against the Dublins etc it to me is a disadvantage. Took many rucks and scraps and not enough space.

2 points that slipped away yesterday for sure, I think once we got back into it, we went three points up twice only to be caught. Inexperienced team so that can maybe be forgiven.

Antrim Coaster

That was a serious bit of ballbaggery from the Dublin physio. There was at least 2 minutes of the ref and linesman discussing what had happened which was not played.

Id say Antrim could have gotten a draw as their tails were up at that stage following Bradley's point if the correct time had been played. 2 points dropped unfortunately due to a lucky goal against the run of play.

7 starters out for yesterdays match and Id like to have seen Conor McCann in at full forward, but the lads who came in all put in a serious shift.

NorthAntrim

These games will do lads the world of good. Thought O'Connor in midfield put in a serious shift! Scott Walshs scores were excellent. O'Brien too worked hard and won a lot of ball. McMullan and McLaughlin can hurl at that level just need a few more games to get up to the speed/physicality. Smyth getting the headlines is wrong. Saved a few other efforts that were going over the bar. Took a gamble, didnt come off, team game move on!

imtommygunn

Agreed on the goalie shouldn't be taking that much flak. There should have been a lot more time added on as has been said. Didn't understand what was going on there.