Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: CitySlicker11 on August 14, 2012, 01:54:35 PM
Always admired Ballygalget in the Ards, after their performance v Newtown a few years ago when they were incredibly unlucky not to make an All Ireland final. What struck me most about their time was the complete lack of height but the fact that all of them could hurl, with an excellent goalkeeper and free taker up front. Will be sad, as it sad to see all great teams/clubs drop down to Div 2.

The only consolation is that it will be for a Antrim team.

The current team are far smaller than that team, in fact that team was one of the taller teams to come out of the parish in my time.

We are where we are. We've made a balls of a recent generation of juvenile teams by treating them too softly and were ill prepared for the effort required for senior hurling. The latest crop of U-16's are now thrown in with the seniors at training and most are responding well to it and regulars at training. They'll be required for the first team sooner rather than later.

btdtgtt

Quote from: johnneycool on August 14, 2012, 02:35:51 PM
Quote from: CitySlicker11 on August 14, 2012, 01:54:35 PM
Always admired Ballygalget in the Ards, after their performance v Newtown a few years ago when they were incredibly unlucky not to make an All Ireland final. What struck me most about their time was the complete lack of height but the fact that all of them could hurl, with an excellent goalkeeper and free taker up front. Will be sad, as it sad to see all great teams/clubs drop down to Div 2.

The only consolation is that it will be for a Antrim team.

The current team are far smaller than that team, in fact that team was one of the taller teams to come out of the parish in my time.

We are where we are. We've made a balls of a recent generation of juvenile teams by treating them too softly and were ill prepared for the effort required for senior hurling. The latest crop of U-16's are now thrown in with the seniors at training and most are responding well to it and regulars at training. They'll be required for the first team sooner rather than later.

Sounds like a common problem except in the successful teams - hence a big part of why they are successful.

theskull1

How do you know thats the case btdtgtt?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

winker3716

Quote from: theskull1 on August 13, 2012, 11:33:49 PM
Quote from: winker3716 on August 12, 2012, 01:43:48 PM
I did not realise my post had made such an impact.  Regardless, a radical and major shake up in Antrim and Ulster is required if we are all serious about the survival of hurling.  I am conscious however, as to how we may proceed about bringing about radical change.  It is all fine and dandy to criticise, but unless we are all prepared to do something about it!  Therein lies the problem.  A clearing of the decks in Antrim is a pre-requisite in my opinion, starting at HQ.  Our clubs are the key to this step at next county convention.  I have a terrible gut feeling though, the 'status quo will remain', more's the pity.  :P

winker ...do you think there exists a massive group of "passionate hurling men" in Antrim sitting at home doing nothing just waiting for someone to the call them to arms? It would appear you do. I don't. The passionate hurling men are doing what they can and the lazy parents, ex players, sky subscribers etc. are taking the GAA for granted. I assume that not much more can be done until more people start playing a part in bringing about sizeable positive change.

Yes I do Skull.  I also respect your view that you don't.  I also could  not agree with you more about more people taking an active part, but the fact remains, who is going to rally them and call them to arms,  the present incumbents in A/Town Road, I don't think so.  Hence my call for those involved, those not involved in hurling who may wish to get involved to mobilise and initiate some significant/radical change in Antrim/Ulster Hurling.  What I am not sure about thopugh, is how we proceed?
My Philosophy on self preservation - "pull on him before he pulls on you, and pull early"

winker3716

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 14, 2012, 09:15:45 AM
Quote from: winker3716 on August 07, 2012, 04:16:59 PM
I really do think we are reaching a stage in Antrim/Ulster, where hurling is actually dying!  It's time if you ask me for action, maybe a hurling task force made up of all those interested parties within our own county firstly.

Some radical, innovative and positive thinking required by hurling folk to shake the county and Ulster Council Up. Hurling will die, other than in the traditional hurling parishes in Antrim, i.e Dunloy, Ballycastle, Glenarriff, Cushendall, Loughgiel, Carey, Armoy.  It's time to shake up the county executive, establish a Hurling Development Board/Sub Committee and encourage those serious about hurling in Belfast to sign up also.

What are you currently doing at your club? Serious question
More than my fair share despite my own limitations MR2. An air of hostility in your questioning I think?  You obviously may not agree with my line of thinking MR, but your obviously entitled to your opinion which I respect. Could it be that I am too radical, eager to get involved in much needed change?  Or should I sit back, express no opinion like so many others.  I am attempting to be positive here, despite the high degree of complacency within Antrim hurling circles. And yes, we all have are part to play.
My Philosophy on self preservation - "pull on him before he pulls on you, and pull early"

theskull1

Quote from: winker3716 on August 14, 2012, 10:36:10 PM
I did not realise my post had made such an impact.  Regardless, a radical and major shake up in Antrim and Ulster is required if we are all serious about the survival of hurling.  I am conscious however, as to how we may proceed about bringing about radical change.  It is all fine and dandy to criticise, but unless we are all prepared to do something about it!  Therein lies the problem.  A clearing of the decks in Antrim is a pre-requisite in my opinion, starting at HQ.  Our clubs are the key to this step at next county convention.  I have a terrible gut feeling though, the 'status quo will remain', more's the pity.  :P

winker ...do you think there exists a massive group of "passionate hurling men" in Antrim sitting at home doing nothing just waiting for someone to the call them to arms? It would appear you do. I don't. The passionate hurling men are doing what they can and the lazy parents, ex players, sky subscribers etc. are taking the GAA for granted. I assume that not much more can be done until more people start playing a part in bringing about sizeable positive change.

Yes I do Skull.  I also respect your view that you don't.  I also could  not agree with you more about more people taking an active part, but the fact remains, who is going to rally them and call them to arms,  the present incumbents in A/Town Road, I don't think so.  Hence my call for those involved, those not involved in hurling who may wish to get involved to mobilise and initiate some significant/radical change in Antrim/Ulster Hurling.  What I am not sure about thopugh, is how we proceed?

winker you have to square the circle. If there are all these extra passionate hurling men and women about doing nothing, why have they not got off their hole by now? Most clubs including my own are crying out for more help and it's pretty depressing to see what you'd think of as passionate hurling men who've had great mentoring themselves throughout their career give nothing back when they know right well teams/kids (sometimes their own) are suffering due to the lack of willing coaches. I'd love to share your belief but experience has taught me that those people you think exist actually don't although if you chatted to them in the pubs and clubs plenty of them would have you think different. I hope youre right and I'm wrong

btdtgtt

Quote from: theskull1 on August 14, 2012, 05:38:56 PM
How do you know thats the case btdtgtt?

For example the cases discussed on this forum about several clubs not bringing underage players thru. I think we can all name players who stepped up couldn't handle the physicality and so quit.

But mainly I think hurling has also gone soft. We don't have the physicality of the south (manly not dirt) and too many of our club games are park hurling - reflected in our county side.

I think it's a social thing also - young guys nowadays are used to soccer and sky sports - ther are not accustomed to putting their bodies on the line.

I know this is a bit vague skull but hard to get the point across without mentioning specific players and clubs which I don't think would be right.

theskull1

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think the physicality of hurling certainly in the Div1 games I've seen have been teak tough. Tougher hurling than 5/6 years ago. Yes we always seem to lag the progress of southern hurling but doesnt mean that we haven't moved on. Maybe this isn't the case lower down

btdtgtt

Admittedly I watch more div2 skull but still scene most div1 teams at some stage this year And all the big championship games over the years - the physical side of the game is not what it was in my opinion.
Too often physical body contact is either a foul or absent.

That said - I think the point was more about the you get generation of players coming thru.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: theskull1 on August 14, 2012, 11:04:49 PM

winker you have to square the circle. If there are all these extra passionate hurling men and women about doing nothing, why have they not got off their hole by now? Most clubs including my own are crying out for more help and it's pretty depressing to see what you'd think of as passionate hurling men who've had great mentoring themselves throughout their career give nothing back when they know right well teams/kids (sometimes their own) are suffering due to the lack of willing coaches. I'd love to share your belief but experience has taught me that those people you think exist actually don't although if you chatted to them in the pubs and clubs plenty of them would have you think different. I hope youre right and I'm wrong

both of you are right. as skull says if there isn't enough people doing more at club level(I'm from dunloy to and we simply can not get enough help) then its to the detriment of the county, who  said '' evil prevails when good men do nothing''. I like winkers attitude as we cant just shrug our shoulders and do nothing but i get the sense winker you are young, when you have been subjected to the frustrating state of affairs for twenty years plus with no real radical thinking,funding and attitude then the apathy sets in. Did any one read sambo in the antrim post this week U16 development bus going to tipp and two players show up for it. surely  we have to be responsible for ensuring our best young hurlers are making more effort. that would be a start for county improvement. In conclusion more effort at club level with coaching and a unified front and county underage from every club
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

winker3716

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on August 15, 2012, 11:19:21 AM

both of you are right. as skull says if there isn't enough people doing more at club level(I'm from dunloy to and we simply can not get enough help) then its to the detriment of the county, who  said '' evil prevails when good men do nothing''. I like winkers attitude as we cant just shrug our shoulders and do nothing but i get the sense winker you are young, when you have been subjected to the frustrating state of affairs for twenty years plus with no real radical thinking,funding and attitude then the apathy sets in. Did any one read sambo in the antrim post this week U16 development bus going to tipp and two players show up for it. surely  we have to be responsible for ensuring our best young hurlers are making more effort. that would be a start for county improvement. In conclusion more effort at club level with coaching and a unified front and county underage from every club
Sambo, should not have been on the bus, he is not under 16  ;D  Is that the reason only two were on the bus?   ;D

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: winker3716 on August 15, 2012, 01:13:11 PM
Quote from: north_antrim_hound on August 15, 2012, 11:19:21 AM

Sambo, should not have been on the bus, he is not under 16  ;D  Is that the reason only two were on the bus?   ;D

dont think he was there, he  just writing about it. no need to blame all things on him anyway
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

johnneycool

I think there's something in both your arguments, in our club there'd be lads able to give a bit of time, but not enough to take on a job on their own. If they put their name forward they'd end up doing to whole shebang and hence they don't put their names forward.

In the juvenile ranks I'd be inclined to try and get groups of lads, 4 maybe 5, to take on a team. They'll not need to be at every training session or every game and that takes the pressure off slightly. I'd also try and get at least 2 ex players involved in each team as some of the others are willing and keen but miss the finer details of coaching that ex players who've played at a decent level would pick up on.

the colonel

Minor Championship games tomorrow night. Cushendall v St Johns should be a cracker. We beat them by a point or two at Corrigan earlier this year in a game that was spoiled by a big breeze. Could go either way
the difference between success and failure is energy

Milltown Row2

Quote from: the colonel on August 16, 2012, 09:45:37 AM
Minor Championship games tomorrow night. Cushendall v St Johns should be a cracker. We beat them by a point or two at Corrigan earlier this year in a game that was spoiled by a big breeze. Could go either way

The refereeing was top notch though :o
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea