Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Quote from: paddyjohn on March 08, 2022, 08:17:15 PM
Agree, Neil spoke really well and wasn't a bit worried about airing his views. Fair play

He definitely did and aired some valid points, I just cant have Niblock or McConville.

johnnycool

Quote from: NAG1 on March 10, 2022, 07:38:58 AM
Agree, Neil spoke really well and wasn't a bit worried about airing his views. Fair play

He definitely did and aired some valid points, I just cant have Niblock or McConville.

On his point about the Ulster Senior championship being canned I think the Ulster Council were struggling to find space in the fixture calendar for it as IIRC we'd the expanded Christy Ring, and I think Antrim were in some sort of Leinster round robin thing with Laois, Westmeath and the likes and the last final I can remember Down ended up playing on the Saturday in the CR and then the very next day vrs Antrim in Owenbeg or the likes.

The then Down manager was a clubman of ours and he kicked up stink about it but was told by a CB official that the Ulster Council weren't for budging on it, so he put out the panelists who weren't getting much game time and Down got walloped.

It died a death that day.

imtommygunn

Antrim were bare bones too and were doing the rounds I think to get players. He has a point on it. It was great in it's day when antrim and down were going toe to toe but it had become a procession. It might not be that any more.

The ulster council could not give one shite about hurling irrespective of the rights and wrongs of that mind you.

johnnycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 10, 2022, 09:11:43 AM
Antrim were bare bones too and were doing the rounds I think to get players. He has a point on it. It was great in it's day when antrim and down were going toe to toe but it had become a procession. It might not be that any more.

The ulster council could not give one shite about hurling irrespective of the rights and wrongs of that mind you.

Aye but then winning an Ulster title meant something and was a gateway to an AI quarterfinal and the likes, once that was removed and replaced by other competitions then it was always going to fall off the radar.

WRT the Ulster Council, I'm not sure what their role in intercounty hurling is as only last night Down U17 hurlers played Derry in the Leinster Minor hurling qualifier and Antrim will be the same.

All I get from them is Tain leagues and the odd blitz in Magherafelt or the likes, is that enough?

Kidder81

Agreed, Niblock would eat himself

NAG1

Quote from: johnnycool on March 10, 2022, 09:28:19 AM

Aye but then winning an Ulster title meant something and was a gateway to an AI quarterfinal and the likes, once that was removed and replaced by other competitions then it was always going to fall off the radar.

WRT the Ulster Council, I'm not sure what their role in intercounty hurling is as only last night Down U17 hurlers played Derry in the Leinster Minor hurling qualifier and Antrim will be the same.

All I get from them is Tain leagues and the odd blitz in Magherafelt or the likes, is that enough?

Seen these Tain leagues getting a serious push on social media for the past few days.

IMO these are dead on for u8s but as soon as you past that age group there needs to be something else in place.

Im not sure that these on their own are going to start a revolution in hurling within the province.

paddyjohn

Thomas Niblock is one of the nicest most genuine fellas you'll ever meet.

NAG1

Quote from: paddyjohn on March 10, 2022, 07:34:35 PM

Thomas Niblock is one of the nicest most genuine fellas you'll ever meet.

Never said he wasnt, I just cant have his style was nothing against him personally.

johnnycool

Quote from: NAG1 on March 10, 2022, 01:07:42 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on March 10, 2022, 09:28:19 AM

Seen these Tain leagues getting a serious push on social media for the past few days.

IMO these are dead on for u8s but as soon as you past that age group there needs to be something else in place.

Im not sure that these on their own are going to start a revolution in hurling within the province.

They might serve a purpose if you're in a county with very few clubs so you're exposed to clubs from other counties but there's fierce travelling in it.

paddyjohn

Don't bite off the hand that feeds you. Kick every Down club outta our leagues after they supported that motion the other night.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: paddyjohn on March 11, 2022, 02:01:58 PM
Don't bite off the hand that feeds you. Kick every Down club outta our leagues after they supported that motion the other night.

Come on! The Down county board would kick the three Down teams out of their own county if they can, in fact they'd welcome that proposal
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: paddyjohn on March 11, 2022, 02:01:58 PM

Is that you Ciaran?

Neither of the two Down delegates are from the Ards and probably not tied to a hurling club either and I can tell you without doubt, no club in Down was asked about this.

I don't know why they voted the way they did and they were wrong to do so IMO.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: groundlie on March 20, 2022, 03:49:43 PM
A dark day for Antrim hurling. That's one of the worst we've taken in years.

Seems as if the wheels came off early doors and never got back on track.

Be tight against Offaly now
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Kidder81

Quote from: groundlie on March 20, 2022, 03:49:43 PM
A dark day for Antrim hurling. That's one of the worst we've taken in years.

I think we all knew it would be nasty today, and probably would have been with the first 15 out

imtommygunn

I think Offaly may be better than us. Big game. Serious improvement from down too- they would probably give us our fill of it at present.