Derry v Kerry AISF Sunday 16th July 4pm

Started by JoG2, July 03, 2023, 10:30:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grounded

Quote from: pbat on July 16, 2023, 05:33:50 PM
3 big games in Croke Park in a year, 2 semi finals and a club final and Glass has went awol in all of them.

Thats harsh. He does a mountain of defensive work that you don't see.
   But for the record, I don't like the way he plays for Glen or Derry. He's set up as a defensive midfielder.  Why? He has far more to offer. At minor level he was a menace going forward but this attacking element of his game must be coached out of him.
     If you look at mcKinless's chance in the second half, Glass was outside of him in a central position but made no real effort to support him and offer another option. I cant understand it.

Silkyskillssunshinee

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 16, 2023, 06:09:58 PM
Dubs will handle Ciarraí in the AIF -- the Muckers have shown the way.

Agreed. Fenton, Kilkenny, McCarthy all have at least one more massive performance left in them on the big stage. Dubs by 3

seafoid

Derry don't quite have it takes to win the all Ireland.
Eamonn Coleman knew he did before they started in 1993

Irish Times
"Coleman wasn't just a vaudevillian turn outside dressing rooms. He had walked the walk, bringing a minor All-Ireland back to the county in 1983. In 1992, Derry won the NFL and previously he had piloted University of Ulster at Jordanstown (UUJ) to their first Sigerson Cups in 1986 and 1987.
Gormley was on both of those UUJ teams. He remembers being struck by Coleman's implacable views on what would be good enough for Derry. How had the manager affected the county team?
"Unbelievably. It wouldn't have happened without him. I remember the night before a Sigerson final, we were discussing the Derry team and naming players. I came up with someone and Eamonn said, 'no, he'd never cut the mustard in Croke Park — too slow'. I said sure we have to win Ulster first but his attitude was if a player wasn't good enough to win an All-Ireland, he wasn't good enough. I was struck by that because for me Ulster teams never came into the reckoning for All-Irelands. Eamonn's ambitions were different.""

GalwayBayBoy

Extremely soft free given by McQuillan for a foul on O'Brien reduced the gap to one. Just when Derry thought they had a huge turnover. Seemed like a big momentum changer. Reminded me of the late very soft free Kerry got in last year's final at almost the same point in the game. That also negated a big turnover.

That said Derry kept Kerry scoreless for 15 minutes earlier in the 2nd half but they wasted quite a few chances to extend their lead up to 4, 5 or 6 up. I'd say they will have plenty regrets after this one unfortunately.

Whishtup

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 16, 2023, 06:06:49 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on July 16, 2023, 05:52:28 PM
Quote from: AustinPowers on July 16, 2023, 05:48:37 PM
Quote from: Aaron Boone on July 16, 2023, 05:30:31 PM
Joe has been given his orders.

Mc quillan is the  most infuriating referee  I've ever seen .  I'm all for having respect for official s , but by Christ  he makes it so hard  for people to do that.  Those two very soft frees  effectively won Kerry the game . I ain't from Derry but I am absolutely raging . I dunno how Derry folk are feeling

I didn't think either were free kicks and it's amazing how McQuillan is still continuing to get big games at this stage. He must have connections because it's not based on competency. His job is not to make the game a close contest it's to apply the rules.
The o';brien one wasn't a free. He just went so low with his sidestep that he fell
That was a gamechanger. Momentum swung Kerry's was at that moment.  Derry were marginally he better team, just showed a bit of niaivity in front of the posts in the second half, with some excellent blocks and saves by Kerry also. But as someone said already, the big teams get the breaks. Would like to know what mcquillan said to mcguigan before that last kick?

highorlow

You could say the Clifford shoulder which was a turnover ball for Kerry but was a mistaken free for Derry was a momentum changer in the first half. Derry should've taken that goal chance, instead of soccer shit he should've picked her up and buried it.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

seafoid

Nil me ceaptha. Ciarrai are younger.

Piskin

Quote from: Whishtup on July 16, 2023, 06:24:58 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 16, 2023, 06:06:49 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on July 16, 2023, 05:52:28 PM
Quote from: AustinPowers on July 16, 2023, 05:48:37 PM
Quote from: Aaron Boone on July 16, 2023, 05:30:31 PM
Joe has been given his orders.

Mc quillan is the  most infuriating referee  I've ever seen .  I'm all for having respect for official s , but by Christ  he makes it so hard  for people to do that.  Those two very soft frees  effectively won Kerry the game . I ain't from Derry but I am absolutely raging . I dunno how Derry folk are feeling

I didn't think either were free kicks and it's amazing how McQuillan is still continuing to get big games at this stage. He must have connections because it's not based on competency. His job is not to make the game a close contest it's to apply the rules.
The o';brien one wasn't a free. He just went so low with his sidestep that he fell
That was a gamechanger. Momentum swung Kerry's was at that moment.  Derry were marginally he better team, just showed a bit of niaivity in front of the posts in the second half, with some excellent blocks and saves by Kerry also. But as someone said already, the big teams get the breaks. Would like to know what mcquillan said to mcguigan before that last kick?

Kerry the better team in the 2nd half, defended with grit & composure. Forwards were struggling but put the ball over the bar when it mattered most, had a few goal chances as well. Derry are like Armagh they don't have the required football intelligence at the end of games. That last kick by the Derry player was beyond belief,,,,

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: seafoid on July 16, 2023, 06:31:19 PM
Nil me ceaptha. Ciarrai are younger.

Nach éa, i ndáiríre?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Whishtup

Quote from: highorlow on July 16, 2023, 06:26:12 PM
You could say the Clifford shoulder which was a turnover ball for Kerry but was a mistaken free for Derry was a momentum changer in the first half. Derry should've taken that goal chance, instead of soccer shit he should've picked her up and buried it.
Bit of a difference, in all fairness. O'briens wasn't anywhere near a free whereas Clifford's shoulder was a meaty one and straddles the dangerous play area. Anyway, wides and poor shooting cost Derry. Kerry very, very lucky there.

full moon

Derry didn't have the squad and were out on their feet in last 10 minutes. Kerry outscored them then at crucial time and Kerry substitutes had a good impact especially Stephen O'Brien.

I think Derry definitely had more chances there than Monaghan yesterday, Monaghan were never in the lead.

Kidder81

Kerry's defensive play has improved massively the last few years

seafoid

thejuice

Derry just ran out of steam and the shooting form that they had in the first half faded away as the legs got heavy. I Really thought they had Kerry shook in the first half especially Clifford. I think Kerry will come right in the final and win.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

seafoid

The Derry wans must be well on the way back to Lavey, Ballinadrapers etc. Thinking.